Do calming sprays work for hyper-activity?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If cats had human disorders Hootie would definitely have ADHD. She's not like a typical cat that will get the crazies for a bit then lay down and nap, she gets the crazies for 4-6 hours sometimes! Especially at night while I'm sleeping. While her rambunctiousness is endearing and part of her personality I sometimes wish it could be toned down a bit so I've been pondering the use of a calming aid. Would it help or not?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz is prone to stress-induced UTIs,--she isn't at all hyperactive--and I have Feliways plugged in several places, and occasionally use RR.
Have you tried a plug in, like Feliway? I would guess it's more subtle.
As an aside, Bach's Rescue Remedy is usually alcohol based; one could argue it is the alcohol that makes the cat calmer, not the spirit/herb.
Bottom line: I think it depends on the cat. I'd try it, you have little to lose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'm thinking of trying a calming spray or treat. I know the feliway stuff is expensive.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is your kitty?  Sometimes it's an age thing.  I use Feliway 24/7 to help with the stress in my house and I also use two products from Spirit Essences, Peacemaker and Stress Stopper.  I put the Peacemaker in my cat's wet food concoction and spray the Stress Stopper when things get a bit intense with her.  There are other products that might work better for your kitty, so check them out.  http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/category-s/1849.htm

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How old is your kitty?  Sometimes it's an age thing.  I use Feliway 24/7 to help with the stress in my house and I also use two products from Spirit Essences, Peacemaker and Stress Stopper.  I put the Peacemaker in my cat's wet food concoction and spray the Stress Stopper when things get a bit intense with her.  There are other products that might work better for your kitty, so check them out.  http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/category-s/1849.htm
Hootie is 19 months but her sister Sissy is the same age and she doesn't get as wound up. Sissy is more the mellow and laid back type. The problem isn't stress or anxiety but Hootie's occasional  inability to calm down and not run through the house like a maniac and pester Sissy for hours and hours. 

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link! I see they have a hyper helper at an affordable price.