Do Brits not use the term spaying for female cats? Just curious on the terminology over there.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know we have a lot of Brits here and I've noticed that quite a few posters use the term neutering for females, so I'm just wondering if you guys just use it as a term for both males and females and if maybe the term spay isn't common useage there?

Not trying to be the grammar police, I'm just curious. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neuter is actually the best term for it.  Remember that American English is a deteriorated form of the language, brought on by incorporating terms from every language the immigrants (I'm talking about everyone since the Mayflower) spoke.

Neuter is used in science, language and math to describer something that is neither male or female, positive or negative.

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, I am interested in finding out.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
No, you're correct. "Neutering" means removing part of the male or female sex organs, i.e., castrating the male or spaying the female. Fab cats, a very well-know British website, gives an explanation:

Neutering your cat

Neutering a cat - castration in the male (removal of the testes), and spaying the female (removal of the ovaries and uterus) - not only prevents unwanted pregnancies occurring, but also curbs unwanted behavioural patterns associated with sexual maturity and reduces the risk of certain diseases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I was really just interested in the colloquial use by the Brits, not a debate on correct terminology per se

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry - that was a question an English teacher who works with both American and British English couldn't resist. :lol3:

It's probably just more "economical" to use "neutering" because it covers both males and females. There are plenty of Americans who use it rather than "spaying" and/or "castrating", so I don't think it's a British thing.

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My British friends tell me they use "neutering".  As an interesting side note, my Aussie friends all say "de-sexing"; Aussie are weird, man.  Maybe that is why I like them so much.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it makes sense to use the term neuter for both.  Ovaries are the female version of testicles so using the same term does make sense.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  As an interesting side note, my Aussie friends all say "de-sexing"; Aussie are weird, man.  Maybe that is why I like them so much.
:flail: yeah those Aussies....

I do use both "spay" and "neuter" but find myself becoming inclined to just use "neutering" for both sexes.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always say spay for a female and neuter for a male
Yep Im the same, even my vet did when I phoned up to have both  of mine done.

My friends use neuter, I guess TCS just rubbed off on me haha

I think when ringing the vet it just makes it easier saying one or the other so they dont have to ask if the cat is male or female 

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hubby and I just had this conversation today. 

Hes from Scotland and we were talking about getting our little rescue fixed and he said neutered, i was like no shes a girl he was like same thing  :/