Diy Crinkle Cat Pads - Help!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I would like to make a bunch of little kitty blankies or cat pads for my cat, Milly, and I am trying to find a really good type of "crinkle paper" product that I can insert into the fabric layers of the little blankies. Do any of you have any ideas? or any recommendations of some good sources of either durable crinkly paper products or crinkle fabric that could work? I'm sure other people make cat and dog crinkle chew toys and blankies... where do they get their "crinkle stuff"?

Thank you for any input!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! :hellocomputer:
I am definitely looking for commercial grade and more than a yard of material, so I'll look through the links. Have you used any you can recommend?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to auto supply store (NAPA, for example) and buy the inexpensive sun shades for your car's windshield - silvery, semi-stiff. Easily cut with ordinary scissors. Fold in a towel, silver side up, in cat basket.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Catapault's idea and buy the car shades at the 99cents only store. I save the cellophane/plastic from vitamin bottles and stuff old tube socks to make crinkly toys.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to auto supply store (NAPA, for example) and buy the inexpensive sun shades for your car's windshield - silvery, semi-stiff. Easily cut with ordinary scissors. Fold in a towel, silver side up, in cat basket.
I use Catapault's idea and buy the car shades at the 99cents only store. I save the cellophane/plastic from vitamin bottles and stuff old tube socks to make crinkly toys.
I think you guys are talking about the window film or lining that blocks UV rays and is a heat shield too? I am not sure that stuff is washable and can be dried in a dryer. (I will be sewing them into little blankets and pads for Milly.) I am looking for the stuff particularly used in pet and kid toys and blankets, washable and can be dried in dryer, lead- and bpa- free, et cetera. I found a place at Etsy that sold some I was interested in, and I ordered that.
:) :thumbsup:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let us know how your projects turn out :thumbsup:

The windshield shades that I am referring to are the foil & plastic ones - basically the same as the insulation known as Reflectix.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Visualize a rectangle of fabric. Double it over 2/3 or 3/4 and stitch the sides. Fold over the extra flap and use Velcro to fasten. Now you can easily slide in the windshield shade stuff - silver side up for warmth - and easily remove when the cover needs a trip through the washer and dryer.

Edited to add: Even easier, some pillow cases have an interior flap to more securely hold your bed pillow. Use one of that style pillow case with the windshield shade stuff cut to fit. No sewing involved.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps one of those metallic Mylar survival blankets? You can buy them for a couple of dollars at camping or sporting goods stores.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Mylar balls toys tend to bleed when put in your water bowl or chewed on for awhile.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update- :) At this point, I already bought the crinkle stuff I'll use for the projects, but I want to thank everyone for their advice and input!
:cheerleader: :goldstar: :wavey: :grouphug2::woohoo: