Diy Cat Gym (ikea Hack...)

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Just wanted to share a little DIY project we did today to try and give our kitty (Percy) some more vertical space in our living room. We had a bare drywall behind the door and decided to put up a little cat stairway...

We used IKEA picture ledges (called Mosslanda) - mega cheap - and affixed them with drywall plugs and screws. Took about an hour including measuring time.

They’re quite narrow so I’m not sure how Percy’s going to do when he gets older (i.e. wider...) and we need to lay something grippy on the walking part of the shelves because the painted wood is slippery and he can’t really grab on. We were thinking maybe cork board cut to size. But he seemed to enjoy being up there.

Ultimately the plan is to affix a floating shelf above the door that is wide enough to perch and sleep on and so these will just be a means to get up there... but that’s a project to finish another weekend!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last one. The reason we chose the ledges was because when the door is open, the gap between the door and the wall is just the right size for these to fit.

They’re pretty close together because Percy is still small. We could have gotten away with far fewer if he were bigger.

Attachments

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol he is so cute, and that is very cool! I love Ikea. I used three of their "Lack" shelves to make a stairway for my kitty to get on top of my huge wardrobe. I cut up a 3euro doormat and hot-glued it onto the shelves for grip - e voila! Whole new cat tree for about 20-25 euro. Love DIYs :) Great job on yours!

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love this--how clever! Percy is a very lucky fellow. Don't worry about him fitting when he gets older - cats find a way to fit into things they love. Pip is about 2.5X the size of our cablevision box, but she still manages to fold herself into a little cat-pretzel that fits nicely on top!