Dividing up a household of cats

tourmaline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Instead of giving money your girlfriend could get the cats pet insurance and pay the bill every month. That way you will know that both cats will be taken care of in case of any emergency. Pet insurance for cats isn't all that expensive. I pay $10 a month.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet takes money in on pre-paid accounts and the people use it up as they go along. Maybe she could try an arrangement like that with portions of the money at a time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She will have a full copy of the ownership records and vet work, so that'll be taken care of.

Pre-paying with a vet is a clever idea, but the problem is that the friend might be living with her parents for two months or five years. It is one of those "temporary" move-in things. Hopefully (for her sake as a human being) the friend will be on her own and established in a new city by the end of the year, but we have no way of knowing if she might be living in Houston or Atlanta.

I'll mention pet insurance to my girlfriend, but personally (and she might have a different opinion) I've never been that impressed with any insurance plan I've seen for pet bills. But good to cover all the bases and that is a new idea to consider.

Offering to be included as a secondary or emergency contact with whichever vet she eventually affiliates with sounds like a solid plan.

With this decision made, my girlfriend knows she is no longer the owner but still wants Prissy to have a full and happy life. However to be blunt, since she will now have very limited input into Prissy's future, my girlfriend wants to limit her exposure and not have this become a point of contention with her friend.

Even if I've implied some negative things in this thread, this roommate/friend is a very capable person and once she matures a bit and becomes more responsible (which I'm sure this wakeup call of moving back home with parents will accomplish), she will pull herself together and give both "S" and Prissy happy lives as loved pets.

Thanks for everyone's comments and I will pass along summary to my girlfriend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's the end of the story...

My girlfriend took the mother aside but she already knew about who had been paying the bills. The mother said she'd encouraged her daughter (=the friend/roommate) to give the cats away, seeing as how she couldn't care for herself let alone some cats. (They are taking the "tough love" approach with their daughter at this point.) But she added that offering to pay the vet bills wasn't a good idea and that her daughter would be learning to take care of her responsibilities. That pretty much closed up the conversation.

The friend now has "S" and Prissy as she lives at home with her parents. My girlfriend has moved into a new short-term apartment and is pet-less for the time being. Hopefully all of these changes work out for the best!