Dividing a room and cat barrier ideas?

the meow factor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello -

I have just adopted two amazing kittens, but they are also wildly rambunctious. With that being said, I am attempting to create some sort of a cat barrier to divide a room at night. I live in a studio apartment and they are constantly waking me up by running under my bed, over my bed, through my bed, on my bed, through the window blinds surrounding my bed, across my dresser... I love them, but I do need some space at night. Ha. 

Any suggestions on economical (less than $175) and cat proof barriers for a studio apartment? THANK YOU! :D

The room is carpeted and it is roughly 144 inches across. The cats can easily leap over 55+ inches, so it has to be decently tall. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not able to help you with kitten proof room dividers, but you might be able to reset their body clocks so that they learn to sleep more at night. The quickest and easiest way to do this is an interactive play session (long enough to get them pooped if possible) followed by a meaty snack/treat just before you go to bed. Cats naturally work in the cycle of hunt-kill-eat-groom-sleep. If you provide the hunting and eating experience for them, they should then naturally go into grooming and then sleep...at least, for a little while ;) [article="22303"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the meow factor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! 

I have not had a kitten since I was 11. I am now 25 and my cat passed away two years ago, I finally got the courage to adopt again after the loss. Now I am trying to discover the secret to calming them down. Ha! 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any place to attach a cheap wooden screen door?  I used on on a door frame for cat introductions.  The screen door was around $20 at Lowes and I attached it with tension rods ($4).  The kittens may climb it so you would need to be careful. 

Also what about a tri fold decorative screen like divider? Here are some ideas

https://www.google.com/search?q=tri...ChMIx6fd06DAyAIVFvRjCh0VzAZD&biw=1366&bih=644

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the meow factor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Good points. I was going to go with the dividers, but I ran into either quality issues or price issues, sometimes both. The dividers for $70 are not durable enough, but after that it becomes extremely expensive. I did see that some people are using metal garbage storage shelves and zip-tying them together, then stringing them across a space. Reports state that this is a fairly successful answer. I was thinking about perhaps having one half of the room as a divider and the other the shelves. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about a large cat play pen? Something like this:

The one above measures 48" x 18" x 60".