Disgusting Smell from female cat

ladyhavoc24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have 2 kittens who are almost 6 months old, they are brother and sister and were both fixed last week. There's been this weird nasty smell from all over my female kitten Michonne that I've smelled on a number of occasions even before she was fixed. I don't even know how to describe the smell but it makes me nauseous, and my 7 year old describes it as "poop" but I know that's not what it is.  I picked her up and smelled her and realized it was coming from the anus and this brownish/reddish liquid dripped out.  What is this and why is it all over her fur?   Is there anything I can do to stop/get rid of this smell? Now this is where her brother Gizmo comes in. Where Michonne had been sitting smelled just like it and Gizmo starts sniffing these spots like crazy and starts licking it like no tomorrow. So I always know whats up when I see him sniffing the floor. Why does he lick these spots where his sister sat? I'm new to cats so I don't know much about them and thought I would ask all you cat lovers what is going on. Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's anal gland secretions
Cats have two glands on either side of their rectum. Normally when the cat poops the glands are expressed by the pressure of the poop coming out.

In some cats, the glands get full and occasionally leak or they get completely infected or impacted which will need vet treatment. I suggest having the vet check the anal glands of both cats just to make sure there isn't anything medically wrong and to empty the glands if needed. That should solve the problem. If the glands start to smell again or you see smelly dark spots on your furniture again, your cat may need to have her glands expressed regularly. You can do this at home yourself but have the vet show you how to do it first. The secretions smell horrible so express the glands in the bathroom (easily cleanable) and cover the surface with an old towel to absorb anything that might shoot out as you're expressing and wear old clothes.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The secretions smell horrible so express the glands in the bathroom (easily cleanable) and cover the surface with an old towel to absorb anything that might shoot out as you're expressing and wear old clothes.
 YES to the old clothing. Nobody wants to get cat butt juice all over their nice pants. 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!  I actually took my Speedy to the vet when she first came to live with me.  I would notice fecal residue around her anus, so I was putting warm (not hot) compresses on her rectal area just to loosen this away.  (I don't rub, just soak).  Well, I noticed while doing this a whitish, then brownish liquid come onto the compress, and stinky at that!  I thought it was an abscess or something, thus, the vet visit.

After an examination, the vet asked me if I was familiar with the anal glands of the cat.  She said everything looked and felt normal from her exam, but if I ever noticed anything out of the ordinary to let her know.  She said sometimes cats need help expressing the glands by a vet.

I have been using the warm compress once or twice a week and often there will be gland drainage onto the compress.  It is whitish or brownish, not too much, and very, very stinky.  At her checkups, the vet also makes sure everything looks good, so go with what your vet says.

I was glad to learn it was just anal gland secretion and not infection.  The vet also told me not to use any soaps or lotions, just comfortable, warm water.

cats4u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi:

I have a male that excretes a disgusting odor; I recognized the stink....and it REALLY wreaks!   I had a small dog with the same odor and finally ended (pardon the pun) up with surgery.... and that is a long story, so back to the cats.....

its most likely ANAL GLAND odor....it can happen when they get inflamed, or irritated.  Sounds like with the color and liquid, the cat needs to see a vet.  The glands do get infected and require "expressing"...not the most pleasant part of having a cat friend.      Recently, the male cat, above mentioned, had to be taken to the vet for "anal expressing" and he was good for a  month and then I got a whiff of that odor again.

I googled the problem.  The suggestion is to place a teaspoon- tablespoon of canned pumpkin mixed into the cat's canned food weekly....thereby adding bulk.   Canned food all the time  can cause the problem.  They need bulk to self express the glands............hope that makes sense.

But,, again since you are getting drops of color (maybe blood)   I would definitely  check it out with the vet.   By the way, GOOGLE for more info..................................Cats4u

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anal gland secretion can be brown colored in some cats. Anything that looks red / bloody should be discussed with the vet.