Disguising a Litter Box. Need ideas.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure am wonderin' what you've decided to do about your situation. I was cleaning out my desk earlier today and I came across a kitty stickers book that my daughter gave me some years ago. Well, I found all sorts of cute things in there but when I saw this page...I thought of you! What a great idea to put up some simple screens to hideaway your boxes! Of course the ones in the pic are elaborately painted (looks just like the kitty) but you could decorate/paint them anyway you want to! Its the pic up in the left-hand corner...but all of the pics are sooo cute!

Seems easier to make/build than the table/desk we'd been telling you about.

Good luck with however you decide to solve your problem!
Hilda>^..^<

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I cleaned out my closet (completely empty), put down a plastic drape sheet to cover the hardwood floor and put the litter boxes in there. I can keep the door open all the way when it's just me and close it to a kitty sized opening when I want it to not show. Another way to disguise the litterboxes is to put a folding screen in front of them...like a fireplace screen. Something like that would be easy to fashion out of cardboard and easy to decorate with fabric, wall paper, contact paper, etc.
all of my boxes are in closets. i like being able to hide them that way [rarely need to, tho]. i like the folding screen idea, too.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I have 3 of these and I love them. Doubles as seating, cat perch and the occasional scratch post.
Where did you get those? I love them!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could make a frame that would surround all the boxes, and then drape a cloth over the frame - like a little tent for cats. If you left open seams in the "tent" they could just walk through the openings!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about turning an old dresser into a litter box cover. I saw somthing on tv about it years ago. on the show they took and old dresser, removed allt the top drawers and just reattached the fronts so those drawers became useless. The bottom drawer was left intacked so you could pull it ou and remove the box for cleaning. They then cut a hole in the side just abouve the bottom drawer so the cats could come and go. The end product looked like this

http://www.catsplay.com/litterbox_f2.php3

Granted this one has cabinet doors on the front but it would work with a dresser to. You can buy one premade, but it would be cheaper and more fun to make your own. Yard sales have good deals on old pieces of furniture.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tamme

OMG Momofmany!!!!! That is the neatest!!!! Did you make that yourself???
No I didn't make them. A cat rescue person that was moving out of state actually gave them to me (along with a 14 foot long Uhaul truck stuffed full of cat trees which I mostly donated to the humane society). She got most of her supplies from a gentleman from Nebraska who makes these and sells them at cost to rescue people. I wish I had his name.

They really don't look that hard to make and I could probably write up the plans. You would need a saw (table and jig saw), drill, screwdriver, and hot glue gun for tools.

I also had one that was a wooden box that lifted off of the litter box. One really big warning to you whatever you decide to do: If you use something that is made out of wood, line the wood on the inside with plastic (you can get sheets of plastic from a hobby store). The wood picks up odors, regardless of how well you seal it with eurothane. You can easily clean off the plastic but you can't get the smell out of the wood. I had to pitch the wood box after about 6 months. The ones in my pictures are plastic lined and sooooo easy to clean.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, what did you ever decide to do? I am very excited to see what other people have done! I have my boring kitty litter box in the bathroom. So I would LOVE toknow what you did. So I can steal ideas from you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mybabyphx, Unfortunately I haven't done anything yet except downgrade from four boxes to three and removed that ugly piece of carpet and replace it with some cheap pink plastic picnic table cover to protect the ugly blue carpet

I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait for garage sale season to find something suitable. These boxes are huge and I would need something bigger to fit them all.

I put an "Air-Wick" air freshener with a fan into the plug right above the litter boxes to assist with the smell. I scoop often but when the cats go... it stinks. Especially because Roo doesn't cover it up cause he's the 'alpha' male. and since they are right behind us in the computer room... we need some extra help.

So I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a dresser or desk or something that I can modify to their needs. I will definitely keep you guys posted on what ends up happening. Thanks so much for your ideas. I would never have thought of half of those on my own

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hay I do like those and that is a good idea for getting an old cabinet or something to refirbush(sp?).

I find I need something to help with the stuff in their paws coming off AFTER they get out. So I am also looking for something to disguise the litterbox, make it easier to keep the *stuff* inside where it belongs.

Originally Posted by Arlyn

After looking at these containment systems here

I was thinking you could buy a cheap wooden TV cabinet or microwave stand and make something similar to the one I linked to.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tamme

I put an "Air-Wick" air freshener with a fan into the plug right above the litter boxes to assist with the smell. I scoop often but when the cats go... it stinks. Especially because Roo doesn't cover it up cause he's the 'alpha' male. and since they are right behind us in the computer room... we need some extra help.
If you have a window in the room that will accommodate one of those double fan window fans, get one and put it in that room with the air blowing out. I had one at the old house in the room with the majority of the boxes and I was amazed at how well it sucked the smell right out of the room! I know, you can scoop and scoop and scoop and when you have a lot of cats, the smell will still linger.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artharitis

I wonder if wood enclosures absorb the smell?
Absord the smell?? Probably not, but I would think the enclosure would prevent the smell from freely wafting into the air.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Valerie - do you know the dimensions of it? It doesn't show it on the website and I'm wondering if it will fit in my closet.