Discreet commode

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post some pics of the commode I made for my Domestic Shorthair, Rufus.  He is a large, long cat and likes a large litter box, which was no problem when I lived in a house.  I moved to a small apartment this year and was worried about where to put and how to conceal the commode.  I found a few Websites that sell furniture specifically designed to conceal a cat commode, but the prices were staggering, in the hundreds of dollars.  So I started looking around, and got this sturdy oak cabinet off of Craigslist for $40...

...and cut an entrance in one side with a drill and a Sawz-All, leaving a lip so spilled litter would be less likely to track out.

Rufus's extra-jumbo litter box fits nicely inside, with room for a track mat between the door and the box itself, although I have found this unnecessary in Rufus's case.  The litter scoop, a small whisk broom, and dustpan store nicely inside the commode, too.  No one need know what is inside the cabinet, and as long as the litter box stays clean, no one need smell, either!  I think Rufus enjoys the privacy, too.

Total project cost: $40

Total project time: 1 hour

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 That is awesome!  Thanks for sharing.  I got a toy chest from Goodwill that would work for!  Great job it's beautiful 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That looks great!  DH and I have wanted to make something similar.  Right now we keep the litter box in the laundry closet; which is deep enough that I can put the box in front of the dryer; but the cats always track the litter out in the hall and litter dust coats everything in there; so I can't use the shelving for storage.  But we have 2 small kids and an open concept house...so we could really use something like this!  DH is handy enough; we just need to find the right cabinet I guess!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm so glad everybody likes this!  To find the right cabinet, I took the measurements of the litter box, wrote them on a slip of paper, and tucked it into my purse, where I also keep a mini-tape measure.  Every time I happened by a place that sold furniture (or a garage sale), I'd be able to reference the exact dimensions I needed.  When I saw a cabinet on Craigslist that was the right height and length and a couple inches deeper than the litter box, I knew I'd found it.

kafeid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Genius! And so much prettier and roomier than the tacky, expensive cat boxes I've seen online!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone!  If you're patient and choosy in your search, you can find a piece of furniture that matches your room's decor--if I'd been in less of a hurry, I'd have probably held out for a cherrywood cabinet to match the bedstead.  Maybe someday I'll strip it down and stain it to match.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm definitely going to have to start checking yard/estate sales and Craig's List. I have a fireplace screen in front of the litter box in the living room. It helps some but doesn't hide it very well.

pawlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love it! and like others am going to try and do the same thing.  Right now, our litter box is in full site of everyone.  I do it this way to see when it needs to be changed but your idea is way better.

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
I LOVE this idea!!
We have a small home ourselves, and it's a challenge to place litterboxes with 3 cats.  Will certainly keep this in mind, and thank you for sharing!