Discoloration in Sassy's Eye

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was taking pictures of the cats today when I saw sassy's discoloration in her eye. She's had it since I got her probably in 2003. It was smaller then. But she's had it all this time and it has been getting larger.

I did a search and of course came up with melanoma of the eyes which had me in a crazy panic. So I called the vet. I talked to the assistant who made me feel a little better. I told her that Sassy has had this since I got her but it has been slowly growing and she's been fine since then healthy and what not. She said that it could be an old injury she sustained before I got her and it's scar tissue that's growing. She said that even if it was melanoma that she'd probably live the rest of her life without any problems and die from old age. She said she'd have the vet call me and talk to me.

He called back about 10 minutes later and he seems to think it's scar tissue that's growing due to her age. She's probably 12 now. But Sassy got her name because when I took her in to get shots when I got her it took three assistants and the vet to give the shots to her. And when she's riled up like that she'll even bite me. She's part feral so that part comes out when she's in situations that she doesn't like. So I sent some pictures from 2004 through 2010 (today) showing the progression so he could see it.

I just really don't want to have to take her into the vet if I don't have to. It's easier on everyone!

He told me to get some Murine eye drops and that it should stop it from growing. Me being the worry wort I sent him pictures showing the progression. Anything to do with cancer and I just worry worry worry. I guess that's because both my mother and father died of cancer. Grandmother had it but was lucky that it encased its self and didn't spread. She died of old age tho. So really any mention of cancer and I fall apart. Though rationally Sassy's had that eye color for quite some time and she's been perfectly healthy. I just now got curious about it.

Has anyone else had cats with discoloration in their eye's that were fine?

Here's pictures of my cats. The black and white one is sassy, The the white and tabby is lucky, Smokie is the russian blue, Callie is the Calico. The orange tabby is Jr. and the grey tubby tabby is Faith

http://picasaweb.google.com/MisMelzy/Furbabies#

Mel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet called me back around 2:00. He said the discoloration is in the pigment. And Cats with green eyes the green color is made up of brown and blue pigments. He said for some reason the pigment is changing more to brown and it can be seen in her right eye. But he did notice some in her left eye too. He said it's nothing to be concerned about. They would be more concerned if the coloring was on the outside of the eye.

I'm relieved to hear that. Now maybe I can relax a bit.

Mel