Discharge... Is It Pyometra?

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My pregnant cat has a white-ish cloudy colored discharge, which darkens in color upon drying (as you will see in the photo).
She mated on February 14th.
Her behavior is normal otherwise but this discharge is very concerning for me as I have read about pyometra.
She's about 39 days pregnant not including today (given she didn't mate in secret before the 14th of February).

Photo attached- the cloudy white fluid above the darker fluid is fresh. The darker fluid is dried, but was previously that same cloudy white color (if my explanation makes sense)
A few days ago the discharge was clear, to my knowledge, and had no particular color.

Please give me advice on what to do. I am 16 years old and have no job, but I have $700 or so saved up prior to her becoming pregnant. Do you think this would be enough money to cover any vet fees related to treatment of pyometra?
IMG_1444.JPG

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My best guess is that your cat may have an infection, but not necessarily pyometra. This would be treated with antibiotics. Can you get her to a vet tomorrow?

Does the discharge have an odor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_8945.PNG
My best guess is that your cat may have an infection, but not necessarily pyometra. This would be treated with antibiotics. Can you get her to a vet tomorrow?

Does the discharge have an odor?
I tried to smell some that I dabbed off but there was no odor in particular.
I took another photo of this discharge with flash just now.
I think that it is some dried fluid mixed with fresh fluid in this photo.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And yes, I can get her to a vet tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No odor is good, but points more towards pyometra. The vet may need to do a scan to see where this is coming from. You should have more than enough money to cover this tomorrow. I hope it’s not bad news.

Please let us know what the vet says.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No odor is good, but points more towards pyometra. The vet may need to do a scan to see where this is coming from. You should have more than enough money to cover this tomorrow. I hope it’s not bad news.

Please let us know what the vet says.
I will leave updates. I'll be going to the vet tomorrow at around 10 AM. Hoping for the best, I'm so worried about her.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to the vet (got a little busy and forgot to post).
The vet weighed her, took her temp and said her temp was fine. She didn't have any discharge at the time (although I showed him a photo), and he told me to "let the pregnancy run its course" and said something about some discharge being normal. I actually haven't seen any more discharge on her since though.
I hope that it was sound advice. Pretty much paid $25 to be told to wait, so that was a little unsatisfying. Maybe I'm overly paranoid.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it’s good you went. Did the vet check for kitten heartbeats? How is mom doing otherwise?

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it’s good you went. Did the vet check for kitten heartbeats? How is mom doing otherwise?
She's behaving as she does normally. They didn't palpate her or anything. Literally looked at her for 5 minutes and said the best option was to wait. I was hoping they'd actually check for kittens / heartbeats. I am tempted to take her elsewhere for another opinion.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A normal temp. usually means no infection. That is good. I would just observe her and if she stops eating/drinking, then bring her in. Watch for any changes in her behavior.