Discharge from vulva. Is it a heat cycle, pyometra or discharge from pregnancy.

Sol-ana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Main Question: my cat is wet on the vulva and had discharge on the floor does this look like mucus from pyometra, part of a mucus plug or discharge from a heat cycle?

Back story: I recently received a rehome kitten. The person had her and her brother along with other cats in the house. Which makes me question if the discharge is a mucus plug or if She is having a heat, Or something worse like pyometra. She was 6 months when I got her so sexually mature. She’s very shy so She rarely lets me touch her. But when I did hold Her, her belly felt firm and round. I can’t tell if her nipples or pinked or not. She eats normally to a lot and is still active. (When I do see her, she hides in my closet in a laundry basket. Today I noticed her cleaning her self and she was wet by her vulva (pictured below). Later in the day, she layed by me and when she got up there was this small Blob of mucus/discharge (pictured below) (the white specks surrounding the discharge is paint on floor).

behavior: she normally is quiet and very shy but today she was meowing at me a few times, which is strange but still didn’t want me to pet her or hold her. She also normally hides in my closet laying in a basket but today she was out and about very curiously, it was almost frantically. Looking in bags, and coming up to my broom I was cleaning with. Also not being able to stay laying down- she was jumping off of things and jumping back on the things to try to lay down again, she also shows less interest in her basket today but still runs/goes to the closet.

(I will be making a vet appointment but wanted to know others opinions, while waiting for an appointment.)
IMG_2948.jpeg
IMG_2937.png

photos of cat

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Thank you for rescuing her; she is a beautiful girl. If she came from a questionable situation, she will begin to adjust to you over time. As for the matter at hand...you must rightly suspect that she may be pregnant. We aren't vets and can't tell you for sure, but the frantic running around and uneasiness could be imminent labor and the search for a place to have the kittens. That would explain a mucus plug.

If it were to be early pyometra, a discharge might be the only sign you would see. Given the seriousness of this, she needs to see a vet as you have scheduled. In this case, how soon is the appointment? This is a condition which can worsen quickly, so if your appointment is not for a while, it might need to be moved up.

Vaginal discharges in heat cycles are not that common, so I would not necessarily think that is the cause.

If it is kittens, you can get help here with any information that you need.

Please let us know what happens.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely get her to the vet to be checked out and also a spay surgery scheduled. You could also see if she is pregnant.