Dirty kitten noses

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A month ago I brought home a mother cat with her 4 kittens, with the idea of finding homes for kittens and having the cat spayed. At the time I had two 10 week old kittens and their mother (who was also going to be spayed.) The new kittens were 7 weeks old. I noticed that they had small round brown spots on their noses, and what looked like dried black booger just out of their nostrils. I thought they must have played in dirt, and didn't give it much thought.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, when I spotted what seemed like dirt around the lips of one of the older kittens. I thought it was feline acne and immediately disposed of their plastic food bowls. For the past few weeks they have been drinking from ceramic bowls that I wash once a day and eating from my own glass bowls and plates, all of which are washed after they've been emptied (I still use the same plates and bowls for my food).

However, soon afterwords I was diagnosed with ringworm and the kitten who I thought had feline acne developed bald patches on her face, ears and legs, all of which led me to conclude that the new cat family had ringworm. I looked closer and realized that now all my cats had small round patches without fur, mostly on their legs. I have been on oral ketoconazole treatment for about a week, and the cats have been on 10 mg itraconazole per kg of body weight and they had their first lime sulfur dip 4 days ago.

Up until now it seemed like the treatment was working - my lesions have almost cleared up and the new kittens almost got rid of the brown spots on their noses. But instead of getting their pretty white faces back, today their noses and mouths look worse than ever: the whole area is darker, like it's dirty, nose, upper lip, lower lip, and the black gunk from their nose seems to have spread to their upper lip. Here is a before and after pic:

The older kitten who I thought had feline acne has a bald patch in the same area, around that Y letter on their face, and I thought it was ringworm. But apparently it can't be, if it showed in kittens while they were being treated with antifungal medicine. Any idea what it could be?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take the kitten in the right picture in to the vet since it has the widest affected area. Ask the vet about secondary infections and if they can check. It's always possible whenever the skin is damaged for it to get a bacterial infection (which is what happens with acne, too, hence why you could have logically thought that first).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no, my poor kittens, first ringworm now this
Thanks Strange Wings, looks like that will be the route I take.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, they'll be ok.
You're doing great with them! It might be something as simple as adding an antibiotic and washing their faces a couple times a day. The vet should be able to take a sample and culture it to find out what's going on.

Just keep in mind that if they're on the itraconazole for too long you'll need to have their livers checked - the same holds true for you and the keto, too.
Hopefully neither you or the kittens have any nauseous issues pop up from the antifungals as that can happen.

I hope everyone is well soon.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by def kitty

For the past few weeks they have been drinking from ceramic bowls that I wash once a day and eating from my own glass bowls and plates, all of which are washed after they've been emptied (I still use the same plates and bowls for my food).
Personally, I would never share my dishes with an animal. That cannot be sanitary surely?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

Personally, I would never share my dishes with an animal. That cannot be sanitary surely?
It depends on how well the dishes are washed. I share plates with my cats, too. I'm far less likely to get anything from them, than say the raw chicken that I cut up on plates and with knives, or from the container that got pushed into the back of the fridge and forgot about for a month. I have a dishwasher with a sanitize cycle, though.