Dirty ears or mites?

Aszira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I unexpectedly rescued three kittens and their mama yesterday. They were abandoned on a large wooded property that butted up against two major roads. When I saw them they were running in traffic so home they came. I've been letting them decompress and kept them isolated from my other cats for practical purposes. Now that they're settled a bit I'm noticing they all have dirty ears. I haven't seen any signs of scratching, just occasional sneezing, which I don't know if it's all of them or just one. They're all super playful and don't mind their ears handled - in fact they adore being pet. I'm already finding it impossible to find a foster for them, if they have mites I don't know what I'll do.

Anyway, does this look like signs of mites, or could it just be dirt? Kitties have clearly been indoors before so maybe they're just dirty from the wooded area? Mama cat has decided the babies are on their own and isn't helping them with upkeep anymore. Her ears show the least amount of gunk. At least two of the tree kittens for sure have gunk. I don't dare check on kitten number three. He's bitten me to the bone several times in terror, he needs to decompress a bit more before I can freely handle him.
IMG_20230812_210948708.jpg

(Ps if anyone knows of a rescue in utah county that can take emergency rescues...)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aszira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Assume it’s ear mites and get it treated. Ear mites will destroy a cat’s hearing in a short time.

Where in Utah are you?
I'm really hoping it's not. I didn't wash my hands between handling them and my cats. Rookie move, I know. It's been years and years since I've dealt with mites. If it IS mites, do I have to completly sanitize the room they're in before my cats can go in? I can't remember how high of a risk they are for spreading. Having eight cats with mites would be awful! Are there things I can try at home, or is it a "don't diy take to vet" type situation? One of them is definitely sick with something and has the sneezies. Aside from sneezing seem fine. Plenty of energy, healthy appetite, no runny noses or eyes. She might be a bit tired, but that might also be her big changes. Are there other things besides mites I should be looking for? Now that I've realized they might be sick it's occured to me that I should keep an eye out for things. They pee a lot, I think. They're always in the litter box. I haven't seen any tiny poos, but they're very tidy cats and bury things well. Now that we have mama settled for the first time in two days she just sleeps off her stress so I have yet to see her litter box habits. They're not itching anywhere, so no fleas. Small blessing considering they're currently asleep on my bed. I think they might be a bit malnourished. They're pencil thin. I don't know if that's normal for active cats or what, though. My cats are apparently all chunky and going on diets, so I admit I'm not the best on healthy weights. (pic of Mama so you can see. We think she's 10-14 months old, babies 4ish months)

I'm in Utah County, but I can probably take them up to Salt Lake if I have to. My landlord is over for the next few days and will absolutely murder me for having four extra cats around. I have a neighbor who's been kind enough to let me run over and frantically throw a cat carrier full of cats at them whenever my landlord shows up, but that's not sustainable for anyone. I also can't take them to the local shelter since it's full, and the sweetest of the bunch has a sensitive personality and bites when he's really stressed. My hands have very clearly been torn up. (at least three fangs made it to the bone, and another two claws) all that noise and stress would cause him to act our and attack. That's a death sentence for him. Since he's currently under my chin purring I'm not willing to do that. After all the literal blood I've spilled bringing these guys home I'm not just going to throw them in a shelter, although I might not have a choice if nothing turns up by Monday or Tuesday.

IMG_20230811_180735635.jpg

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can’t advise you on the best way to treat ear mites. In your stores, I’d take them to the vets for a check up, shots and find out the best way to treat ear mites.

We’re in Utah country ourselves and might be able to lend a hand.

Aszira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t advise you on the best way to treat ear mites. In your stores, I’d take them to the vets for a check up, shots and find out the best way to treat ear mites.

We’re in Utah country ourselves and might be able to lend a hand.
If there's any way at all you could help I'd definitely appreciate it. Mama is the biggest problem. She's not adjusting well and keeps attacking her kittens. She needs someone who can help her settle down and adjust. Unfortunately I'm not home a large portion of the day and just don't have time to help the poor thing. :( Her babies also want to be pet a lot or played with. Currently they're under my bed destroying stuff. I can probably pay for a checkup for them, but I desperately need someone who could foster and possibly help find homes for the little guys. I probably shouldn't have rescued them, but I didn't want to end up cleaning them off the side of the road. Her little babies are a bit too old to be rehomed easily as well. They're some of the friendliest cats I've had though. Even the little biter got super friendly. Aside from mama they adapted just fine to the outdoor cat who comes to visit so I'm guessing they wouldn't mind a multi cat household.
IMG_20230811_194029.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this family. I gather that they may be an abandoned family, not feral?

Ear mites are contagious but there are numerous products that are effective against them. There is a popular home remedy, just in case you are googling, which is to use mineral oil in the ears because it will suffocate the mites and end the problem. I do not recommend that you try to handle this on your own or that you do this; I did years ago with a dog and it resulted in a much worse ear problem.

Depending on your relationship with your vet, you might be able to get a prescription product if he saw a couple of the kittens. In these situations my vet has always taken my word for what is going on and given me enough to use for anyone in question. The reliable products which treat ear mites, including Advantage Multi, are prescription.

Ear Mites in Cats and Dogs | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

Feral Friends Network® Connect
Alley Cat Allies has a group of volunteers who help with feral cats, TNR, etc. However, you might just complete this form and see if there are any rescuers in the area or organizations which might help.

Aszira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping this family. I gather that they may be an abandoned family, not feral?

Ear mites are contagious but there are numerous products that are effective against them. There is a popular home remedy, just in case you are googling, which is to use mineral oil in the ears because it will suffocate the mites and end the problem. I do not recommend that you try to handle this on your own or that you do this; I did years ago with a dog and it resulted in a much worse ear problem.

Depending on your relationship with your vet, you might be able to get a prescription product if he saw a couple of the kittens. In these situations my vet has always taken my word for what is going on and given me enough to use for anyone in question. The reliable products which treat ear mites, including Advantage Multi, are prescription.

Ear Mites in Cats and Dogs | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

Feral Friends Network® Connect
Alley Cat Allies has a group of volunteers who help with feral cats, TNR, etc. However, you might just complete this form and see if there are any rescuers in the area or organizations which might help.

It's definitely an abandoned family. They're all litterbox trained. I doubt that happens naturally in the wild.

I have to admit I'm about to cry over all this. If I don't find a solution today they'll have to go to the shelter. My local shelter is completely full and they've started putting down cats. The rescues are also full, I can't find a foster... I don't know what to do. Mama is freaking out and is super clingy, and her one kitten is still incredibly nervous. I'm afraid he's going to bite someone again.

I'll see if I can get them to the vet tomorrow if I can. I don't want my cats getting mites.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am generally hearing that, nationwide, shelters and rescues are unable to do almost anything. Do you have any local access such as the nextdoor.com app? You might post there and see if anyone locally can help, even if it means they can take one kitten while someone else takes another one.