dirty bottom cat. any ideas?

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think sometimes cats just have poopy butts. Mine usually have firm poops but there is always a little bit of dried poop on their butts. I've gotten into the habit of wiping them but they really don't like it. When I wipe them it doesn't entirely clean their butt, as I mentioned the poop seems to be dried on and they don't sit still long enough for me to remove it.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we take a cat into our home, they are ours for better or worse. My male cat will not clean his backside, but I have no intention of abandoning him because of this.

lynnster52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I have female kitty with same issue…She's also a rolly-polly but should be able to reach, but I think it's difficult for her. Lately, she's been licking the underside of her tail from about halfway down from tip and her fur is getting sparse (was a broom brush type tail until recently) I wonder if she licks there because she can't reach or if something else is going on. She was seriously compromised with diarrhea issue upon adopting her as a kitten when a (horrible) vet repeatedly stuck a thermometer into her (and she had a prolapsed rectum at that time & was raw from the runs…) She's never been the same since with grooming down there…I've tried mist bottle & it worked when she was younger but now I fear she'll attack me if I force the misting. THe bottles I have are very small so perhaps I should be a large one with an adjustable nozzle so I can get more there at once via larger mist. Right now, the little bottle sprays like a perfume mist squirt/does nothing & she's onto me & runs after just one mist...

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excuse my ignorance but quite frankly I didn't know cats had to clean their  butts. My she cat, Cucumella, is 13 years old and I have adopted her 5 years ago. I have never known her to have a dirty butt neither have I seen her clean it.  How would she reach it anyway? She does spend hours cleaning herself all over though. And she tries to clean ME...............she adores perfum and will lick it whenever I put some on..........unless she hates it and tries to wash it off.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
HELP,

Jackson STINKS...I just called the grooming company, and they will Bathe him for $35.00 That's a alot to pay, as Iam a student.

This is almost a last resort for me, He does groom himself often (Not well enough) I also have tried to help him out, but this doesn't help out either.

I want to bathe him myself but I'm not sure how to do it by myself (I get so stressed when he's unhappy)

Can anyone give some kitty bathing advise?

Thank-You,
Jayme and STINKY Jackson
A few inches of water will do the trick, no need to practically submerge the cat.  Keep one hand near the scruff of the neck.  I don't have to actually grab the scruff, but I gently push down on that area and it usually keeps the cat under control.  A sink is a lot easier on your back than a tub.  Have at least a half dozen towels handy, the cat fur alone will require two and the mess the cat makes while struggling will get water everywhere.  Get rid of everything around, I made the mistake once of not moving the toaster and the cat pulled it into the sink (no shocks thank goodness).  Ignore all kitty verbal complaints, they will do their best to make sure you think they are dying or melting or something.  Brush really good after so no mats form.  If mats form, they will need to be cut out, the safest I've found is to use a fine tooth comb on the mat until you can slide the comb underneath and use the comb as a physical barrier as you cut the mat on top of it so you don't nick the skin.  Be prepared for the cat to shake water on all your good stuff (I think they have a radar for that) and to glare at you until they are dry.  Vary bath times every week as they learn fast when to hide if you keep a schedule.  Once a week works great if you have to bathe regularly.  Good luck!

babyhuffman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby's long hair is a problem when it comes to her bum sometimes. What I do is cut the longer hair on a rear end so that the poo doesn't stick to it as easily. She's really good about cleaning herself, but when I cut her hair it makes it easier for her to keep her bum clean.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few inches of water will do the trick, no need to practically submerge the cat.  Keep one hand near the scruff of the neck.  I don't have to actually grab the scruff, but I gently push down on that area and it usually keeps the cat under control.  A sink is a lot easier on your back than a tub.  Have at least a half dozen towels handy, the cat fur alone will require two and the mess the cat makes while struggling will get water everywhere.  Get rid of everything around, I made the mistake once of not moving the toaster and the cat pulled it into the sink (no shocks thank goodness).  Ignore all kitty verbal complaints, they will do their best to make sure you think they are dying or melting or something.  Brush really good after so no mats form.  If mats form, they will need to be cut out, the safest I've found is to use a fine tooth comb on the mat until you can slide the comb underneath and use the comb as a physical barrier as you cut the mat on top of it so you don't nick the skin.  Be prepared for the cat to shake water on all your good stuff (I think they have a radar for that) and to glare at you until they are dry.  Vary bath times every week as they learn fast when to hide if you keep a schedule.  Once a week works great if you have to bathe regularly.  Good luck!
What I do is put a towel on the bottom of the sink so it doesn't feel so slippery to the cat. Only use a tiny dab of dish detergent - you can add more, if needed, but you don't want tons of lather to have to rinse off.

lynnster52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don't see your cat clean her bottom because most cats prefer to do that cleaning in private. I've never seen any of mine do it unless I stumble upon them at which point they stop. Funny, but all cats DO clean their butts! 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't see your cat clean her bottom because most cats prefer to do that cleaning in private. I've never seen any of mine do it unless I stumble upon them at which point they stop. Funny, but all cats DO clean their butts! 
Funny thing, my Harry, who died in July, did not clean his butt - ever. His poopies were v. soft & I don't think he associated defecation with butt cleaning. I had to do it for him, but I would do anything for him

lucas jersey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Problem solved !

i made valeriana spray (cat acts to valeriana like to cat nip even stronger)

and i sprayed her ass with it. she started licking immadiately.

babyhuffman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby cleans herself most of the time, but every once in a while the poop will stick to the long hair on her bottom. I just use a damp tissue to take it off. Then I trim her bottom hair so the litter and poop don't stick. I know when I've waited too long to trim because that's usually when things start sticking to her bottom.

perique

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quote:

Have you tried emptying anal glands? Most professional groomers provide this service.
Woth inappropriate diet the stool becomes too soft and anal glands don't receive enough ' pressure' to be emptied naturally. Within time it leads to unpleasant smell and eventually may lead to abscesses.
Ask your vet to check on it next time the cat smells ( do not go to the groomer before the vet visit)- the vet will check into and will show you how to empty the glands.
Regarding the diet- most commercial cat food contains grains and sugars which are impossible to digest by our feline friends and often lead to upset stomach and other illnesses and cancer. I highly recommend train free food or- best solution and used by most professional breeders- raw meat diet. It regulates the stool, makes it practically odourless and your cat will be very happy :) good luck! X

Originally Posted by Jayme&Jackson

HELP,

Jackson STINKS...I just called the grooming company, and they will Bathe him for $35.00 That's a alot to pay, as Iam a student.

This is almost a last resort for me, He does groom himself often (Not well enough) I also have tried to help him out, but this doesn't help out either.

I want to bathe him myself but I'm not sure how to do it by myself (I get so stressed when he's unhappy)

Can anyone give some kitty bathing advise?

Thank-You,

Jayme and STINKY Jackson

The key to kitty bathing is YOU being calm... the cat will freak out more when he notices that you are nervous... everyone has different bathing methods depending on the cat's personality... Oliver just gets plopped in the tub in his harness and leash (although he's VERY good about tolerating his baths, what baby wouldnt wanna run around soapy and wet while mommy chases?!) and I just use the detachable shower head and bathe him like I would my dog... some people bathe in their kitchen sinks or in a bucket or rubbermaid container inside their tub.... like I said, you have to be calm or you'll have no chance, haha... you'll probably have to experiment some to figure out the best way to bathe your particular cat... Ollie can tell when it's bath time and will cooperate, but will sit in the tub with wet angry cat face and let out a yowl either while I'm scrubbin the boy parts or when he thinks he's ready to be finished with his bath.... then he gets rubbed down with towels and then wrapped up in dry towels and I hold him until he gets ants in his pants and wants out of the towels...

Carpinus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my 2 year old flame point siamese cat just over 2 months ago. He has a brown discharge from his eyes that I need to wipe away every day or two. He also has a dirty bum - looks so stupid on such a pretty cat. I assumed it was because he was new and he was not taking time to clean himself. But now I've found this forum and wonder if he has the anal gland problem! I am taking him to (my) bathroom, and wiping his butt with a warm water paper towel. Not very dignified, but sure does look better!