Dirty bits on anus...something wrong with Lucy's pooper?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy has three issues I'm worried about so we are visiting the vet tomorrow am.  1) I posted recently about her cat cold.  It is getting better but she isn't 100%  better yet.  She's well enough that I probably wouldn't visit the vet if this was the only issue.  2) I'm still wondering about how her mouth is doing because she has stomatitis and had extractions 6 weeks ago. We still notice a slight drooling problem though I think her mouth is much better overall.  3) And something might be wrong with her pooping process or her anus.  The anus is the one thing I haven't asked about here, and I'd love any insight anyone could give me before we see the vet.

Okay here are the facts....

1)  Lucy went from a standard shelter diet to grain free canned and raw diet in early August when she came to live with us.

2)  She gets a probiotic sprinkled on her food once a day.  She also gets some salmon oil (omega 3's) and lysine daily.

3)  When I've seen her poop it looks normal...not too hard, not too soft.  BUT last night I saw her go through all the pooping motions and nothing came out.  We have a multi cat house so there is no way for me to know whether she pooped again after that.  (There was plenty of poop in the boxes this morning, but no way of knowing who did it.)  Her appetite is great and she is eating well so I don't think she has a blockage but the no poop incident was the "last straw" that made me call the vet.

4)  I do think she may have had a hairball incident recently.  She has been shedding more than when we first got her and grooming herself more with the improvement in her mouth.  She had what seemed like a hairball cough and I found a hairball vomited up.  None of my other cats deal with hairballs regularly so I'm guessing it was her.  (We are brushing her more to help with the grooming.) 

5)  She was treated for tapeworms in August.  Two doses of Droncit, 3 weeks apart.  No fleas (she had 3 months of Revolution just in case.)  She is indoors only and had a clear stool sample after the parasite treatment.

Anyways, I've always been puzzled by what looks like little bits of poop clinging to her anus.  (Never anything in the fur, just right on the anus.)  I've read about what tapeworm segments look like (brown rice) but these are dark brown so I don't think it is lingering tapeworms.  I've never seen anything shed where she has been lying down or anything like that.  I've tried many times to wipe one off with a wet paper towel to see if I could get a closer look.  No success...too squirmy. 

The thing is I'll see them come and go more frequently than she would be pooping.  So it is not like it could be little bits left over from a poop.  Could something be coming out of her anus and going back in?  Yesterday I saw something there and then it was gone all while she was milling around on my white bathroom counter.  Nothing fell off her hiney.  I would have seen it on the counter.  I'm totally puzzled.  I have a feeling the vet might be too.  I thought I'd ask here in case anyone here had any similar experience or ideas of what it could be. 

I've been reading up on constipation in cats, but I don't know whether to assume she has a problem with this from the one incident I saw last night.  And I'm not sure whether it could be related to her dirty anus.

Like I said, we're going to the vet tomorrow but I'd love any input you have. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great vet visit!!  Lucy's colon was empty so she has been pooping successfully (hard for me to know that in a multi cat home.)

The mystery of the dirty anus....extremely full anal glands.  I have a feeling she has been dealing with that since before we knew her.  (Her anus has always been mysteriously dirty.)  Anal glands had occurred to me, but I thought there would be liquid coming from it and I was seeing little solid bits and no strange smells (that I could detect....but I think one of my other cats knew something was wrong with Lucy's hiney.)    They expressed her anal glands and were shocked at the amount that came out.  This probably explains the trouble she had pooping the other night.

Her URI....breathing sounded great, no meds needed.

Her mouth....vet clipped a loose suture that was probably bothering her.  Last time he snipped loose sutures we saw a dramatic improvement in her mouth.  Hopefully all the sutures will be dissolved soon.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well...that explains that!  But I'm kind of surprised about the anal glands, because our Vet explained how the feces need to be fairly hard in order to express the glands, and with her eating raw, they should be hard. 

So happy the rest of her check-up went well.  How's her stomatitis?  Is it too early to tell?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
with her eating raw, they should be hard.
Yeah.  I'm pretty sure the anal glands were a problem when we met her this summer....so if it is diet related we can point the finger at the shelter diet. 
  She's only been with us and eating healthier for 2 and a half months and has had the dirty hiney problem the whole time.  Her stools are normal, so hopefully the problem won't reoccur.  It took me a while to realize that I needed to ask the vet about it....I assumed it was just poor grooming for a while.  (She wasn't grooming herself due to mouth pain.)  And she didn't display any sign of discomfort down there.  Poor thing was hurting at both ends when we met her.  I hope we can get her to a healthy and pain free place.
How's her stomatitis?  Is it too early to tell?
It's still too early to tell if she will need ongoing medication or treatment.  But her mouth is definitely improved.  The stitches need to totally dissolve since they are causing some irritation and a little drooling.  Hopefully those will clear up.   

ETA:  I did do some reading and diet isn't always the problem with anal glands.  Sometimes the anatomy isn't quite right and they just aren't positioned right to get expressed.  And sometimes it is an inflammation problem, can't remember how that explanation went.

Last edited: