Dinnertime Training for the Alpha Bully

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Here is the lesson in my dinnertime training tale:

The trick to having very well behaved and loving kitties is to be firm but gentle in developing boundaries for them, being consistant and loving in reinforcing those boundaries. Use redirection rather than discipline and give them lots of positive attention.

Pay attention to their body language at all times, and learn to speak their language as best as you can, and they in turn will learn to communicate well with you. Understand why it is that they behave the ways that they do, and you will know how to respond to best meet their needs. So that they can meet yours.

These are the things my four dear little cats have taught me. I only wish I had been this wise when my daughter was a little one!
I wish all cat owners were as intuitive as you are. If everyone that purchased a kitten from us was like you, my contract would be one page and the phone calls and emails would just be about comparing funny stories.

Congrats Betsy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I wish all cat owners were as intuitive as you are. If everyone that purchased a kitten from us was like you, my contract would be one page and the phone calls and emails would just be about comparing funny stories.

Congrats Betsy!
Awww, thank you, Nial
- that was a really nice thing to say! It made me feel really good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to post this update earlier:

Feeding Max more wet food in the evening (he was getting 2.75 ounces now is getting 5.5 ounces all for himself) seems to be easing up his need to devour the rest of everyone else's dinner.

I guess his energy levels are just THAT much higher than the others?
He's still basically a crrrrazy kitten at 13 months old, so I'm not going to worry that he's being overfed at the moment.

Ferris is happily eating in his old place in the kitchen with no more bother from that pesky Max. I feel badly that it took me a couple of weeks to notice and make the changes at feeding time, but I think Ferris forgives me!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww so glad Ferris is back to himself

Riley was spoiled on not finishing his meals all at once, because he could always go back in a few minutes and nibble and now that we are fostering Sebastian he has discovered that his leftovers disappear