Dingleberry stew.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I brush AND comb Persi every day, the area under his tail and his "thighs" seem to just keep getting denser and denser. I can understand that it would be almost impossible to "number two" without dingleberries. We have always had let Persi have free roam of the house, including on the counters because we never minded if we found a hair in our food. But dingleberries are quite a different proposition all together. When DW or I are in the kitchen cooking food and Persi jumps up onto the counter with dingleberries, it does have quite a different impact on both of us. Of course, after letting him roam free in the house for four years we cannot change him now. So, what do other TCS members do about this? Yes, I groom him every morning and get rid of the dingleberries, but by suppertime he is up on the kitchen counters (helping prepare the food). That particular area of his body seems to have gotten denser and denser. I really cannot afford at this time to take him to a groomer over and over to shave him in that area; perhaps I can do it myself? Or is there another alternative? Of course my shorthaired cat Alley has no such problems.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would find a groomer who is willing to train you how to shave Percy yourself. Take him into see that groomer, learn how to do it and purchase the proper equipment, and then tip the groomer GENEROUSLY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I would find a groomer who is willing to train you how to shave Percy yourself. Take him into see that groomer, learn how to do it and purchase the proper equipment, and then tip the groomer GENEROUSLY!
I wonder how I could find such a person; I would certainly tip them BIG TIME.
I know, use the net but finding such difficult information will be hard.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet for references or call around to some other vets for names.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clip my cat max and -seems he needs it done 2xs a year. hes a BIG cat and I keep his entire coat shaved down to work out the dandruff issue(hes SLOWLY losing some weight but I think he needs to go down about 5 lbs still.

I would look up dog groomers I know petsmart here does cats(up to date rabies req not sure if that is just my store.

Max was a little skittish at the start but we do the clippers over period of few days start with his back then legs then chin then his butt. stomach i do as hes laying down i get what i can. I only need to have help to do his inner legs and I could manage if had to just so easier to have help. If you get clippers get the cool down spray. its in same spot as clippers

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We call it dirty pants here and we too were fed up. I called the vet and asked about a light sedative. I went in and he gave me a years worth of basically xanax to lightly sedate Jack so that I can groom his pants. He currently is wearing what we call his clean summer shorts and the $8 in pills was way worth it. We paid about $60 for decent clippers too. Still cheaper than a groomer. He needs clipped about every 3 mos.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could contact your breeder or a Persian breeder online and ask if they can recommend someone. I know my neighbor could show you how (she's had Persians and has Birman's) but it'd be quite a drive for you.

ps--Sorry I misspelled Persi's name in my first reply!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have gotten great advise ... I only would ask has diet changed or maybe the formula? as I am guessing the dingleberry issue is a reasonabley new ish one

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to have to do that for Boo, and I bought a buzz clipper from Pet Co for about 80 bucks, saved me alot, but we used to get what was called a "Sanitary shave" for him, so his rear wouldn't get messy with either poo and pee. Of course, doing it yourself, your kitty might get a might bit upset being buzzed back there, but it helped Boo tremendously. I am dreading the day I have to do that for Chickster as she's a little devil!

When I gave Boo his lion cut I would have to do parts, some days he would stand it for 30 minutes, some days 10, some days ZERO. Good luck with your Persi (Beautiful name!)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a common problem with long hair cats! And one of the reasons I will never own a long hair cat again (I had a Turkish Angora for about a year).

I would learn to trim down the area under the tail and to the hocks of the back legs. I may take two people and maybe you have to wait till the cat is sleepy or asleep. Use a small pair of scissors with rounded tips (so you don't poke him) and just start nipping at the fur a little at a time till you get it the length you want.

2furgirls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to our nightmare... NoBaby with the long soft white ragdoll-persian butt and the squirrel-like flampoint tail - often ends her sessions with some pudding "dire-rear". Granted she vocalizes when she is going to the potty. Granted she hates being cleaned every day. Granted she has on her own learned to separate her tinkles from her poos, so the tinkling doesn't leave a wet fur alley to catch the poops. But she does it when we are eating breakfast, and sometimes we don't get her in time, she jumps up ... and that's the end of breakfast. Or we find slug trails. Or we find butt seals that look like envelope wax seals made out of dried poop. Or if it is particularly goopy and in the middle of the night, she walks over my pillow and yells at me to wake up and clean her.

Yet, I cannot bring myself to shave her. She is just sooooooooo gawjus as is.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only advice that I have would be to go to Wal-Mart and get Wahl clippers in the human grooming section. They are less expensive and still great quality. I got the plug-in ones for grooming Mom's dog and they work great!

mommysugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

The only advice that I have would be to go to Wal-Mart and get Wahl clippers in the human grooming section. They are less expensive and still great quality. I got the plug-in ones for grooming Mom's dog and they work great!
how much about and how loud are they?