Dingleberries

superpop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had Lady PurrPurr and her son Mookie for almost a year now.   PurrPurr has short hair but Mookie is long haired.(his tail hair is especially long....I found a white hair of his on my black sweatshirt and it was 6 inches long and it was not a whisker)

We have found small little pieces of his poop (and we know it's his because there will be a few pieces of his long hair attached) on the ground.  It's only happened 3 times in the last year but one time I found it by stepping on it....clearly I was disgusted like anyone would be.

We have never spotted Mookie with a dingleberry attached and he is very good about cleaning himself.

I'm just worried about a dingleberry that eventually gets "attached" and matted and also I don't like finding and stepping in small chunks of cat poo every 4 months or so!

Is there anything I can do to prevent his dingleberries?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard of shaving cats back there to prevent this problem.  I think it is called a "hygenic cut" or something like that.  Groomers will do it, or sometimes vets, I think.  I have a cat who has had this problem a handful of times, but thankfully it is not a regular thing so we haven't looked into the shaving. 

I've seen some suggest that making sure there is a healthy diet and poops aren't too hard or soft will help.  But in our case, poops are totally normal and the diet is healthy and we still get the occasional "cling on."  I think it is related to our cat's squatting style.