Dilute tortie?

tcbemis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is our "new" kitty, Katniss. I say new bc she's been living in our porch for 14 months, but is now happily inside. The vets paperwork described her as a gray tiger, but I'm not going for it lol.

She's most definitely gray on top, but has tortie colors underneath that. She has an orange blaze down her nose.

Does anyone have any thoughts? It doesn't really matter, it's not like we're showing her lol, but I like to know these things. It drives me crazy not knowing what makes up our dogs muttiness. :)

Thanks!

sinthari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks like a very nice blue tortie. And you are right. It's the dilution of black. I can't see it on the pic. Has she white markings?

redcat57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sure our member maewkaew can define Katniss properly, she knows all the complicated description rules. (And the amazingly complicated genetic stuff!!)
I've learned a ton reading her posts.

I would say dilute Tortie fits the bill for the shorthand.

The thread "are tabby markings unusual in Tortoiseshell cats?" might have helpful info.

Congrats on having such a pretty girl.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am sure our member maewkaew can define Katniss properly, she knows all the complicated description rules. (And the amazingly complicated genetic stuff!!)

I would say dilute Tortie fits the bill for the shorthand.

The thread "are tabby markings unusual in Tortoiseshell cats?" might have helpful info.

Congrats on having such a pretty girl.

Very true. But our new member Sinthari here, is not "only" a breeder for real, but her breed allows practically all sorts of colors and combinations thereof.  So Sinthari surely knows them all she too, and their genetics also.

So Im happy with Sintharis diagnosis, and stick with it, especially as it was my impression too.   *modestly smiling*

Easy: Grey is called for blue in cat fanciers language.

Tcbemis!  You are welcome with more pics on your pretty  now inside kitty.

We are  in joy together with you over her.

redcat57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is great to have all the wonderful resources here!
Sinthari posted the color while I was typing my post, so I didn't see that the question had been answered by another expert :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tcbemis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks like a very nice blue tortie. And you are right. It's the dilution of black. I can't see it on the pic. Has she white markings?

no white at all, except maybe around the bottom of her feet.... Even that is more pink though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tcbemis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Folks! Katniss appreciates knowing what she is. :)