Dilemma regarding declawing. Desperately need advice

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FastDak

I am not an advocate of declawing. I dont like it at all. But I had to have it done for Miikka. The operation was done 1.5 weeks ago. She has FULLY recovered and has learnt that her claws are gone. She is strictly an indoor cat so I dont have to worry about her need to protect herself.
Its quite nice having those claws gone. We can now play without me getting hurt, she can still climb, jump, run and play. After the spay and declaw I have noticed that she is a nicer, calmer and seems to be happier cat. She spends more time in my arms and on my lap purring, and kissing.

Aside from the whole procedure and everything, if you need to get this done instead of giving up your cat, I would much rather declaw than give up a cat.
I'm with you FastDak, declawing shouldn't be a standard procedure, HOWEVER...

Done properly, the cat never knows any different, and actually can benefit greatly from the surgery.

Try alternatives first, but if it comes to down to declawing vs abandoning the kitty (and the kitty is young) choose declaw. But made dang sure that the vet you have do the surgery, knows what the heck he's doing.

There's a fine line between a butcher and a surgeon.

Spotz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diane marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello friends. I have thought long and hard on this. Consulted 2 other transplant drs and 3 other vets.

The drs said that because of Olivia's compromised immune system, due to the anti-rejection meds, she takes Prograf. We really have no choice but to declaw the kitty.

The vets I spoke with all said pretty much the same thing. Declawing does not harm the cat. Their words not mine.

Allissa, the reason soft Paws won't work is because one could fall off and I may not catch it in time and the kitty could scratch Olivia. A weak argument to be sure but then it does have some merit.

MyRage, Olivia had a colostomy for only a short time. About 2 months after her first surgery then it was removed. I was doing a happy dance when they did that. I thankfully didn't have to take care of that since she was in the hospital the entire time she had it.

DiMa, Olivia also has a mickey Button. She likes to eat carbs, not the food she is suppose to eat, protein, so that is why we have difficulty with her eating.

Prince Charming is a purebred Maine Coon. Under the contract that I signed I am not permitted to give him away. Not that that was even a issue. Besides he was $600 and well worth the expense. The breeder does not insist that I do not declaw. In other words it was not in the contract. I looked again just to make sure.

I thank you all for your thoughts, advise and good wishes. Please do not think less of me for having this done. I almost lost my daughter 3 times the first year she was born. If anything happened to her because I didn't declaw Prince, I would never be able to forgive myself. Since Prince is 16 weeks, the operation should hopefully not be too bad for him. It is scheduled for next Fri.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your daughter's health is important. My mom had a siamese when I was born, and things went well. I never had any transplants, so situation wasn't the same. just please, before you declaw, look into lots of vets, and find out about the procedure. There are good vets, and bad vets. Some do a great job, some just butcher the cat's paws. I've read more horror stories, than good ones. Don't be afraid to ask the vets questions. From my reading on the subject, if you can, find one who does a lazer surgery declaw, I've read it's much better, and less painful. Myself personaly, I've never declawed a cat. And the two at the petstore I worked at were declawed. I remember all went really well for them. They healed rather quickly. They were jumping up on the shelves within a few days. One of them was even using the display litter maid because he didn't like the shredded newspaper the vet reccomended.

Congrats for your daughter not still having a colostomy. I truely hope her health gets better as she gets older. Sounds like she has a great mom, keep up the good work. I am sure if sher were old enough, she'd be thanking you for the great care. My mom passed away about 1:45am September 12th, 2001. It was the best time in the world to loose her. (only because she was going anyway, nothing could be done to help her.) Everyone was down. Most of America was in shock, and mourning. So, I wasn't singled out in my pain, or loss. When I looked like I'd been sobbing, nobody asked. Everyone looked shaken up to different degrees.

From me, to you, in memory of my mom, give yourself a huge hug, and know your daughter may not have made it without your contiinued support, and love. The love a mother can give a sick/unhealthy child, is sooooo strong. My dad divorced my mom before all my surgeries were done. My mom is why I am alive today. Her mothering instincts. I was her first child, and everyone thought she was over protective. Took her a couple months to get the dorctors to believe there was more wrong with me then just a collicy(sp?) baby, and normal spit ups.

Good luck, I hope the declaw goes well. I won't think less of you. I understand why it's got to be done.
Goooooood luck!!!

brienne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, this really is one of those cases of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Normally, my automatic response is a firm "no" when I am asked about if it is ok to declaw a cat, but I believe that if a majority of people were in your shoes, they would decide the same thing. Declawing, done right, has about a 1 in a million chance of endangering Prince Charming's life. (I'm sure there is someone out there who will yell at me with more accurate statistics, but I'm just speaking figuratively here... I do understand that there are greater odds that it might change his personality unfavorably.) On the other hand, the gamble you would be taking with your daughter's life isn't worth the risk. So I, for one, will certainly not think any less of you for having it done. It's clear where your heart and intentions are, and hopefully Prince can recognize that too somehow. I guess the next step would be to go to the best vet you can find, and pay whatever the cost is for the best anesthesia and after-surgery meds the pharmaceutical industry has to offer. And then atleast you would feel just a little bit of comfort knowing that you gave him the best treatment you could in such a tough situation. Good Luck! Keep us posted on how it goes for you guys.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brienne

Wow, this really is one of those cases of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Normally, my automatic response is a firm "no" when I am asked about if it is ok to declaw a cat, but I believe that if a majority of people were in your shoes, they would decide the same thing. Declawing, done right, has about a 1 in a million chance of endangering Prince Charming's life. (I'm sure there is someone out there who will yell at me with more accurate statistics, but I'm just speaking figuratively here... I do understand that there are greater odds that it might change his personality unfavorably.) On the other hand, the gamble you would be taking with your daughter's life isn't worth the risk. So I, for one, will certainly not think any less of you for having it done. It's clear where your heart and intentions are, and hopefully Prince can recognize that too somehow. I guess the next step would be to go to the best vet you can find, and pay whatever the cost is for the best anesthesia and after-surgery meds the pharmaceutical industry has to offer. And then atleast you would feel just a little bit of comfort knowing that you gave him the best treatment you could in such a tough situation. Good Luck! Keep us posted on how it goes for you guys.
Actually....

Declawing, done right, won't ever cause a problem.

It's getting it done right that is the problem.

Find the best vet you can for this surgery, make sure that this vet has an established and proven Post Operative Pain Managment protocol.

Make sure you follow all of their instructions for Post Operative care also....changing the type of litter...etc. OK?

Please keep us all posted on the surgery.

You are doing the best thing you can do, for yourself, for your daughter, for your kitty. He has a loving home, let him keep it.

Spotz

oscar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't figured out how to do the quote things, so bear with me. The following statements can't be ignored:

"Declawing done right won't ever cause a problem."

"Done properly, the cat never knows any different, and actually can benefit greatly from the surgery."

"No matter what surgery is done, there should never be excessive pain."

A person may not know the difference, but Cats always know the difference. They are walking on amputated stumps. No cat benefits from declawing. Humans think they are benefiting from declawing their cats. More often than not, cats develop behavioural problems from declawing (even if done "right") -- biting because they can no longer defend with their claws; not using the litterbox because it's too painful to dig and bury. A cat who is friendly and loving may not be after this procedure.

Surgery, not matter what it is, is painful! Obviously you have never had surgery. Just because the cat is not able to express/show their pain, doesn't mean it's not there. The only way to prevent pain is 1. don't have surgery or 2. Use extensive pain medication, and even then there will still be pain, just hopefully bearable.

Obviously, like others on this site, I feel very strongly about the amputation of the distal digits on cats paws. Look at your hand and think about cutting off all 10 fingers at the first knuckle below the fingernail. That is declawing. Any person or vet who claims this won't hurt, won't make a difference, is good for the cat, it's the normal thing to do, or whatever, is lying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diane marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oscar,

I sincerely hope that you are never in a position where I find myself in regards to declawing my kitten. Prince is sitting on my desk as I speak. Batting around little objects enjoying himself. Making me smile and I caressing his little cheek. He responds by licking my hand. My vet told me that if a cat has a sweet disposition before surgery, then he will remain the same after surgery. He has done thousands of surgery and out of that number he has never received a complaint otherwise. I believe him. Course, maybe it's because I want to believe him because I love my cat so much that I don't want to give him up by returning him to the breeder.

If you ever happen to find yourself in a similar situation like I find myself in. I truly hope that you never have someone treat you like you have treated me. From my end, I already feel guilty about what I must do. I do not need another voice telling me how cruel and insensitive I am being.

But you are entitled to your opinion and as much as I don't care for it. I do respect the fact that you do have one.

Peace

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Diana, I know this is not a popular thing here on TCS, but I had both my kitties declawed.
I had no idea what the surgery entailed at the time.

Anyway, both my cats are TOTALLY FINE. It did not change their personalities at all. They are the same loving, sweet babies I brought home. Just be sure to follow the vet's instructions regarding the kitty litter (you have to use torn paper or something soft for the first few weeks). I agree with you. This is about your daughter's health. Good luck to you!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diane Marie:

I am not completely certain if oscar's post was directed toward you so much as it was just a general anti-declaw statement. I agree with all of the things he said about declawing, but I will also say that in a case such as yours, I would make the same decision you are making because it involved my child.

Now I will also say that as much as vets, etc, have assured you that Prince will be the very same cat after his procedure, you should also be prepared for this not to be the case. Just like the doctors gave you every remote instance in which Prince could scratch and harm your daughter, there are any number of chances that declawing surgery will affect Prince in a way you have not thought of.

I hope that things turn out well for you. Please let us know.

I am also moving this to Health and Nutrition.

aquarius

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cla517

Diana, I know this is not a popular thing here on TCS, but I had both my kitties declawed.
I had no idea what the surgery entailed at the time.

Anyway, both my cats are TOTALLY FINE. It did not change their personalities at all. They are the same loving, sweet babies I brought home. Just be sure to follow the vet's instructions regarding the kitty litter (you have to use torn paper or something soft for the first few weeks). I agree with you. This is about your daughter's health. Good luck to you!
My cat is decalwed too. And after 6 years of working in two different vet clinics - 3 of those years assisting with declaws -- I have never seen the things people talk about here (behavior change, long recovery, trouble walking). I guess we just have really good doctors where I live.

Aqua

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Again, it depends on who does the declaw, how it is done and the aftercare involved. The worst time is right after surgery. If your vet has his stuff together, he will keep the cat for 24-48 hours after the surgery so you don't become exposed to what they call the immediate pain response. Monitoring the cat at home with the proper medication and care, not using clay litter, keeping him quiet and confined to one room, letting him sleep off the after effects, will also help.

Some cats do develop behavioral issues, and others do not. Again, it all boils down to who does the declaw and how experienced and caring they are.

Please don't feel guilty about doing this. You are not trying to save a stick of furniture, or a set of drapes, you are doing this to safeguard your daughter. Choose wisely the vet to do this, and after a few days, your cat should be fine-

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diane, I agree completely with hissy. Usually, I am completely against declawing but in your special circumstance, I think it would be the right thing to do. Your kitten will be able to stay in the loving home that he knows and your family will be able to keep this kitten, who will be a great companion for Olivia. Please try not to feel guilty about this, I'm sure the kitten will bounce back from his surgery and be fine.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats that are declawed and some that are not. A cat that we adopted was already declawed and the other's were done a long time ago, back when I didn't know better. But, I have not seen any difference in their behavior. Some of the ones with claws are worse than the ones without. But, I agree, make sure your vet is a good one and knows what they are doing. My vet does laser surgery now. I asked them what the difference was and they said there is less bleeding and a lesser chance of infection due to the quicker healing time. One thing you MUST always remember. If you do declaw, NEVER let your cat run free outside. And if your cat is put outside on a leash and harness, NEVER leave them home alone outside and never declaw the back feet. Declawing a cat's front paws does make them defenseless to a degree, but with their back claws they can still defend themselves. But, I would NEVER let a cat run free that was declawed, never!!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did forget to mention one thing. I really don't think declawing will have any effect on how a cat walks. Cats do not walk with their claws extended out, unlike members of the canine family, dogs, bears. They use them when climbing, catching prey and fighting. I would rather not declaw, but if it means the difference of a cat losing it's home or not, then I see nothing wrong with it. I would rather see a loved declawed cat with a home, then one with claws that had to be sent to a shelter.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree under your circumstances. No matter how careful you try to be, once in awhile somebody gets scratched. My daughter got a long one on her face once. She was lying on the sofa watching TV, and Joey decided to make a running leap for the back of the sofa. Her face was the springboard. With your daughter you have to take every precaution you can.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oscar

I haven't figured out how to do the quote things, so bear with me. The following statements can't be ignored:

"Declawing done right won't ever cause a problem."

"Done properly, the cat never knows any different, and actually can benefit greatly from the surgery."

"No matter what surgery is done, there should never be excessive pain."

A person may not know the difference, but Cats always know the difference. They are walking on amputated stumps. No cat benefits from declawing. Humans think they are benefiting from declawing their cats. More often than not, cats develop behavioural problems from declawing (even if done "right") -- biting because they can no longer defend with their claws; not using the litterbox because it's too painful to dig and bury. A cat who is friendly and loving may not be after this procedure.

Surgery, not matter what it is, is painful! Obviously you have never had surgery. Just because the cat is not able to express/show their pain, doesn't mean it's not there. The only way to prevent pain is 1. don't have surgery or 2. Use extensive pain medication, and even then there will still be pain, just hopefully bearable.

Obviously, like others on this site, I feel very strongly about the amputation of the distal digits on cats paws. Look at your hand and think about cutting off all 10 fingers at the first knuckle below the fingernail. That is declawing. Any person or vet who claims this won't hurt, won't make a difference, is good for the cat, it's the normal thing to do, or whatever, is lying.
I'm going to keep this short and to the point.

There has never been any conclusive study associating behaviorial problems with declawing. All evidence is Anecdotal, using this as an argument against declawing is propoganda.

Human anatomy and feline anatomy are worlds apart. The structure is totally different. The argument regarding the third phalange, is great for generating a general concept; yes cats and humans both have three phalanges. However if you try to get any more specific with the comparison, you will find that there is not much more incommon between the two species.

Simply stated, the arguments that are being made are flawed. They are not based on fact, but rather propoganda. The argument is geared for an emotional response, not an intellectual response.

The only argument that is actually sound, is the argument that declawing is generally unnecessary. I couldn't agree more. However, the case at hand is not within the context of general. In this case, declawing is the best choice.

Responding with propoganda, and criticizing this person for considering the best interests of both her Daughter and her cat, is pointless.

Spotz

dottiemaggie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just feel like adding my 2 cents... I am not quite as anti-declaw as some, as for the most part I have seen countless cats recover quickly, with little side effects, and minimal medication. However, I have found that I have been fortuate to work for a vet who is very skilled at declawing, which I believe is the primary reason for the quick recovery.

That being said...he declawed my Charlie when Charlie was about 2 or 3 years old, and Charlie did walk funny afterwards. Which is why I've always encouraged clients to get the declaw done with the spay/neuter if they believe it's something they will want to do down the road. While we don't encourage people to declaw, we've found that if they're considering it at the time of spay/neuter, they will opt to do it later. (we also make it much more expensive if the cat is over 1 year of age..)

In your situation, with your daughter's life essentially on the line, I feel you've made the right choice. And it sounds like you have found a good vet. If you're comfortable with him, that is a good sign! My best friend's housemate went with the cheapest vet in her area when her cat was declawed...and years later this cat did develop problems due to a job that was done so sloppily my vet considered it "unfinished" - and she had to have a second surgery and basically have several toes "declawed" again.
We have never had a delcaw our vet did return with problems. We keep the cats for 2 days, taking the badanges off after 1 day. Some of them chew, some of them bleed - but these problems always happen in the first 2 days, so we can nip them in the bud.

Best of luck, and I hope you know you've made the right choice - and you and your daughter can enjoy many happy years with your kitty

.maggie

brienne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
.... "If you ever happen to find yourself in a similar situation like I find myself in. I truly hope that you never have someone treat you like you have treated me. From my end, I already feel guilty about what I must do. I do not need another voice telling me how cruel and insensitive I am being."

AMEN! I was really pretty shocked to read such an insensitive comment here, even though it is a touchy subject. And the "surgery" comment was pretty poor choice of rhetoric as well.

I hope that you will ignore comments like this, and instead be a little comforted by those who have shown you their support in the midst of such a hard decision.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Diane Marie, have you talked to a vet about a "flexor tendonectomy" as an alternative to actual declawing? I have no experience with either, but have read that a tendonectomy is far less invasive and involves fewer complications. Here's a little bit of info on the procedure: http://www.amcny.org/owners/infosheets/onychectomy.htm
You'll find far more using Google.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Diane Marie, have you talked to a vet about a "flexor tendonectomy" as an alternative to actual declawing? I have no experience with either, but have read that a tendonectomy is far less invasive and involves fewer complications. Here's a little bit of info on the procedure: http://www.amcny.org/owners/infosheets/onychectomy.htm
You'll find far more using Google.
Sorry...I couldn't disagree more...

Tendonectomy is cruel. Basically they go in an cut the tendon.

Meaning that the claw remains, and continues to grow, but the cat cannot control it anymore. If it gets caught in anything, then the cat can't control the claw to untangle it, they usually get very scared, and aggrivated trying to undue themselves. Often they will end up breaking, or worse still, ripping the claw out.

Also, if the nail is allowed to grow without being trimmed constantly, then it will curl under and grow into the pad, causing even more pain and suffering.

Tendonectomy is a horrible alternative. The only benefit it has, is a less invasive surgery. The negatives are much more numerous.

Spotz