Digging in the litter box

cutiekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sunny my 4 month old does a great job of using the litter box, but she seems like burying it as far down under the litter as possible. After using the litter box she will cover and cover and dig an dig for a good 10 min until she will finally get out. I do keep the box really clean so it's not a dirty box issue. Anyways, does anyone elses kittens do this and is it a normal kitten thing.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one cat that likes to dig to the bottom of the litter box too.  He digs and digs.  I have found by keeping the litter at about 4 inches high this helps.  When the litter gets too low, he will dig to the bottom.  I use a large sterlite rubbermaid like container instead of a cat litter box.  It gives him more room.  The sides are about 5 inches high and it's about 17 inches long.  This really helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cutiekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that likes to dig to the bottom of the litter box too.  He digs and digs.  I have found by keeping the litter at about 4 inches high this helps.  When the litter gets too low, he will dig to the bottom.  I use a large sterlite rubbermaid like container instead of a cat litter box.  It gives him more room.  The sides are about 5 inches high and it's about 17 inches long.  This really helps.
Thanks. I always try to maintain 4 inch of litter in the box as much as possible and she still digs and digs in it. I decided to chalk it up to her being a 16 week old kitten.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat, Nora does this! She's almost 2 and she has this need to dig to the bottom of her box (even with 3-4 inches of litter), to then go to the bathroom. She likes to dig in general. When we go outside for walks, she likes to dig in the dirt before continuing on with the walk. Although I have heard that digging is a territorial thing....who knows?! Silly cats!

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats do this, but the older one (10 years) to an insane degree. He'll spend a good five minutes digging around the litter box and getting right down to the plastic bottom to pee on it, and then gather all the litter around the box to cover it. He also digs to bury his food, his vomit, and if he has an accident anywhere in the apartment (nerve damage near his bum, sometimes he drops or scrapes off stuck pooples), we know because we hear his little claws scraping against the floor as he tries to bury it. He also tries to bury food that we drop if he doesn't like it enough to eat it.

That cat was picked up as a stray kitten and had been an indoor/outdoor cat briefly, but I'm not sure if it's just something in their brains that he's a little more OCD about or if it has something to do with hiding his tracks and his stuff from other cats outside.

Last edited: