Digestive Issues

queenb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My  kitty is 8 months old and has been having loose stools and diarrhea at times. He is not lethargic or appears to be sick. No fever or anything. He has a great appetite. I feed him wet food (Purely Fancy Feast -new formula) which he loves and friskies dry food. I have not noticed any blood in his stool. There are no worms or parasites around his anus that I have noticed. He has a vet appointment this Friday, but does anyone have any input on what the culprit could be or am I just being a nervous nelly. This is my first kitty! Thanks in advance. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unless it is an ingredient in the food which does not agree with his system, he may need to be treated for worms, and/or an intestinal infection. So, he may need worm meds or antibiotics.

It's good you have a vet appointment on Friday to discuss this. In the meantime, you can mix a tablespoon of plain, canned pumpkin into his wet food to help with firming up his stool.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he ever been dewormed? You wouldn't necessarily see them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Another thing you can try is a probiotic. Any probiotic for humans is safe for cats. You can pill him with it, or open the capsule and mix it into his food. It may help with any intestinal flora problems he may be having. The pumpkin and probiotics can be used daily, by the way.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of causes for diarrhea. It could be food allergies, wurms, blocking in the intestines, deseases, bacterias, stress, drinking too much water etc.

Does the stool smell really awful? If so I would test him for Giardia. If that is negative, another bacteria.

As suggested above, probiotics are a nice way to help your kitten's intestines "heal".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

queenb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. I will discuss this with the vet Friday. Thank you again!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says Friday. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

queenb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took my baby to the vet today. Had him tested for Giardia, test negative. Also tested him for worms. He did not test positive for worms but apparently he has been treated for worms before I adopted him, by this same vet. She gave him a pencillian shot and sent him home on roundworm/hookworm medication and anti-diarrhea med, due to his history. His first poop after his vet visit today and after his initial dose of the meds was a more formed stool. I was instructed to bring in a stool sample when all meds are complete. Hopefully this will work. Thanks again for all of your great recommedations!! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This sounds positive. Please keep us updated as to your cat's progress. :)