Digestive enzymes - not helpful?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got Musiaka some digestive enzymes to help make his IBD symptoms milder, as there are a lot of articles promoting it for IBD cats. However I then found this one:
It seems to claim that not only do enzymes not help but they can also be harmful. What is your opinion on digestive enzymes?
I got these ones: ENZIVET - STANGEST | Productos veterinarios para mascotas
Musiaka also receives probiotics daily, but i read that both enzymes and probiotics are recommended for IBD cats

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a difference between prescription digestive enzymes that are required for EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) and the plant-based digestive enzymes that are sold without a prescription as supplements. It's more likely that cats who do not have EPI will react negatively to prescription enzymes including those reactions listed in the article. But that's not what you're asking or what you purchased. They won't cure his IBD. They won't solve allergens and intolerances. This is the sticky part of IBD that you still need to sort out. But they may provide some relief. They did with my Krista. She didn't look quite so pained after a meal and her poops were a bit better when she was taking digestive enzymes with every meal. It took us awhile to figure out the ideal. For her, the dose that provided her relief was far lower than the recommended dose. Higher doses would make matters worse.

So I would say the following about digestive enzymes:
- Don't expect a miracle. An IBD cat still has IBD even with digestive enzymes and probiotics. You'll still have to sort out what ingredients he is sensitive to and eliminate those. I recommend a food journal where you log what foods were fed and whether there were butt or gut incidents of note.
- Start smaller than they recommend. Perhaps half the dose. Wait a poop before changing the dose.
- Don't get too stubborn about probiotics or digestive enzymes. They either work for your cat and his condition or they don't. Don't put off vet visits trying to find the magic ratio.
- I would file digestive enzymes under "Might help. Probably won't hurt."

The enzymes I used with Krista were Optagest:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LO2QEG/?tag=thecatsite