Digestive Enzymes And Smelly Stool?

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've been dealing with a resistant strain of Giardia in both of my cats for quite some time now. We just did a 5th treatment and their stools have gotten darker and firmer so we're crossing our fingers. After their treatment, we started giving them digestive enzymes as a precautionary measure (Giardia Natural Treatment Protocol | Little Big Cat)

Anyone who goes through giardia can relate to the HORRIBLY smelly stools that Giardia produces--it sticks with you. But ever since I've been giving them the enzymes, the smell has changed. To be honest, it smells exactly like the enzymes (it has a very strong and distinct smell, not very pleasant), but way stronger. I always clean the poop out immediately after both of my cat's drop, but that smell lingers for a long time.

Their poop has otherwise been great! It just smells like strong Enzyme droppings and I'm curious if anyone has noticed this when they give their cats Enzymes. We are giving them one pill of human-grade Jarrow-zymes, three times a day before meals as suggested in the link above. After 8 days we will put them on a break and see if anything has improved.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which Jarrow-zymes did you use, the vegetarian one or the porcine one? I wonder if that would make a difference. I've never tried it on my cats, but my mom takes the vegetarian one. I had no idea you could use it on cats.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had experience of using these enzymes, but I'm not really surprised about the bad smell persisting. There's still a lot going on in their guts. Hopefully this protocol works for them, but I would expect it to take a while still for their gut flora to stabilize and their poops to become normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using the porcine one, because the instructions didn't specifically say to use the Vegetarina Jarrow-Zymes.

I just came home to the most perfect poop we've had in months (not sure which of the two cats dropped it) and the smell wasn't as strong! It's not foul-smelling either. It is definitely from the enzymes, it smells almost exactly like it does undigested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did order the vegetarian one, maybe that will make a difference :)