Difficulties pinpointing the issue with my senior kitty (weight loss etc.)

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she peed or pooped? Is it possible that the meds are making her feel yucky?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has definitely peed. Not sure about pooping but no straining on litterbox.

Coincidental that you asked about the meds making her feel lucky. I just noticed her lick her lips a few times, so maybe some nausea is making her feel yucky as you mentioned (??). Could feeling nausea make a cat look really sick and have that blank look on their face (she just looks so out of it). But she needs the antibiotics and she is not vomiting them up, so I guess that perhaps one just has to tolerate the nausea as the probably lung infection is critical to fix up (assuming that is what this is). I am syringe feeding Recovery today - I have some Fortiflora here - I wonder if there might be some value in putting that in the blended Recovery when I feed her. Could that help with stomach upset a bit. I have to say, I am terrified of cancer but she has been seen by a team of various vets over 6 months and nothing obvious is jumping out at any one of them. And she has no anemia. If not much changes by the time my vet clinic reopens, it will probably be time to xray and/or ultrasound etc. Sigh.

Last edited:

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meds can make you feel pretty rotten sometimes. Certain meds are almost guaranteed to make you feel awful. Come to think of it, why don't call the emergency clinic and tell them what you're seeing and get their opinion?

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried phoning but the vet techs are busy so I have to phone back. I always feel as if they will just tell me to bring her in as they cannot say anything over the phone.

She just pooped and it was healthy looking stool. And she went and had a drink of water. I wish that I had an anti-nausea drug but she gets really upset on long car drives and the emergency clinic won't give me one without bringing her in. My regular clinic opens up on Dec. 27 so I can get an anti-nausea drug more easily then.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a pretty kitty!

Yeah, cats, like humans, sometimes stop caring for themselves when they feel icky. When Pearl was in decline, I sometimes had to bathe her 3 or 4 times a week (she'd fall into her litter box or face-plant in her food bowl). I was working and going to school, so I was crazy-busy, and one time I had to take her to the vet right after class. She'd made a mess of her face and I just didn't have time to properly clean her up first. It was cold, and I wasn't taking her out with a damp head.

I felt so bad at the vet. I kept thinking, "What if they think I'm just neglecting my cat?" But she just wasn't cleaning herself anymore, and with her ataxia, she got messy a lot.