Difficult coworker question (long post)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your boss hasn't talked with you by now, definitely approach him on it. Technically it sounds like you were suppose to talk to him right after you got back to lunch yesterday.

Hmmm...let us know!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here's what the boss said. He talked to the jerk, let him know his behavior is unacceptable. As I figured, the guy tried to make out like it was my fault, and that I essentially attacked him about the printer setting.

Riiiiighht.

So he has been told not to let it happen again. That's it.

I was told not to communicate with the jerk about anything office equipment related from now on, to only communicate if it is regular business (read: sales) issues. Any office equip issues are to be handled through the office manager, who is only here part time.

Fine with me. This won't work of course, because she's not here all day, but I'll do my part and keep my mouth SEALED. If he asks me ANY equipment related issues, my response will be, talk to so and so. Plain & simple.

I asked my boss, so what do I do when this happens again? Because it WILL, given time. He told me to not only walk away, but to actually leave the office, go home, and call him immediately. So that's what I'm going to do. And I'm going to confirm what he told me in writing to him as well, just so I have it documented.

I'm still disgusted, because the atmosphere here is now going to be palpable, and I can no longer come to work every day without fear.

At present, the jerk is doing his best to pretend that I don't exist, and I'm totally cool with that. I just hope his wife didn't wind up paying the price, if you know what I mean.

I'm a grown-up, and can absolutely act like one, so despite the fact that I have no choice now but to enter a potentially hostile environment every time I step into my office, I am going to take the highest road I can find to walk upon.

I'm also going to do some research on harrassment laws in MA. Just CYA. Or in my case, CMA.

I also spoke to my mentor last night and she's ready to help me redo my resume so that I'll be prepared for whatever. I may even start the hunt - you don't find opportunity unless you look for it, right?

In the meantime, here in this office, I will silently bide my time...

I'm doing okay today, and I truly thank you all for your supportive comments. I'm so glad I found TCS - cat people rock!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well at least some conversations took place. I think your boss gave some good advice about how to handle yourself if the situation arises again.

At my old job my superviosr (how he got that position is anyone's guess!!) never stuck up for any of us to mgmt on any matter. He knew that I had a hard time dealing wth him as I was much older than him and he didn't know our job positions/workload of any of his staff-basically a jerk. There would be days where I wouldn't speak to him-he wasn't interested in my life-his small talk drove me nuts!! We had a few closed door talks about my attitude towards him and how our dept was being managed (I'm not a yes person) -but several months before my office closed I think he saw the writing on the wall about his future with the company and LEFT!!! The person who took his place until the office closed was the person who should have had that job all along-the whole atmosphere changed for the better in the office-more happy faces!!

So let thinks settle down and handle them the way the boss said (give it a try)
Remember you did not do anything wrong. You just reported a bad situtation.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the cops the next time he does that. It is illegal to act in such a threatening manor and he shouldn't be allowed to do it again.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry things didn't get more resolved for you.

I hope either the job hunt goes amazingly well, or the nasty guy at your office leaves soon.