Difficult, biting Cat

auri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys.  I want to say, first of all, that my cat can be sweet and loving.  She's sweet for about 2 minutes after I come home, and sometimes when she's sleepy.  Though if I touch her when she's sleeping, she bites me.  She bites a lot.

She chases my legs across the room (and scratches/bites hard enough to draw blood) every day.  I have to walk backwards when I know she's following me, and sometimes that doesn't work.  She goes for it anyway.  I've tried "walking toward her" when she tries it, and I never give her a reaction.  Doesn't make a difference.

Almost any time I try to touch her, she bites or scratches.  She doesn't run away - she's not scared of me - she just doesn't want to be touched.  She wants to nap on me or next to me but DOES NOT want to be touched by my hands.  I am covered in scratch marks, and scars of old scratch marks.

She has scratched holes in every set of sheets I own, including the two new ones I bought this fall.  She's not even really "going for it", she just puts all of her weight into her claws when she's climbing up into bed - rather than just jumping the very easy distance up to the mattress.    She has a scratching post which she rarely uses.  Her nails are trimmed (just trimmed a few days ago and two new holes in my sheets today).  The door to my bedroom is covered in scratches because she hates when I close the door on her - which I rarely do.

I just don't know what to do.  She is not affectionate (except as mentioned above), she draws my blood daily, and destroys my stuff.  What is the "up-side" to cat ownership, again?

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That does sound like a really hard situation. I am wondering about her past, at what age did you get her, and was her behavior different back then or has it always been like this? And how long has she been in your life?

Any more information about her past is appreciated and might help me/us explain her aggressive behavior.

Last edited:

sarahtails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat will go for our legs too and try bite but she's doing it in a playful way (I think), I can walk by her and she goes for my feet etc.
If I sit next to her she can all of a sudden start bite my toes or go for my hands. Or if I tickle her stomach she will go for my hand in a second...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's been with me since she was 5 weeks old - I found her on the street and brought her inside.  I did "play rough" with her when she was little (e.g. letting her bite/wrestle my hand) but we stopped doing that over a year ago (she's 2 years old) and it hasn't helped.  I thought maybe this was just kitten behavior, but she's not growing out of it.

katshadows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same problem with my cat Shadow. She is now a year and 9 months old. Every time she'd bite or scratch b me, I'd hit her on her head, tell her no, and trim her nails. Try putting catnip on the scratching post and

katshadows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
playing with her using feathered toys or toys with catnip in them.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you use a lot of catnip, I suggest stopping using it. Catnip can make cats aggressive, if yours is one of those cats you are just adding to her behavior.

Also, I don't see you tell that she attacked your foot when she was little, or acted quite as she is now. Playing with hands and kittens is used almost everywhere, but at some point kittens stop using their claws and get more interested in other stuff. Or if you stop using your hand, they will stop seeing it as a toy. Yours didn't for some reason.

Hitting her head also doesn't work. It's better to just say "no" (if that's the word you use to let her know she's doing bad), then lift her off your lap (continue doing so even if she bites your hand at this stage and don't even make a sound if you can) and ignore her for a while. She will eventually learn, if you do this every single time no exeptions, that she will stop getting attention when she bites and she will hopefully stop doing so. Bad attention is attention too, so to her you are giving her much-needed attention when she bites you.

The leg chasing can have different reasons, but I think the catnip might be the biggest issue. Please go without catnip and see if she softens.