Different behavior in different rooms

jbrickm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten behaves differently in different rooms. We have two upstairs bedrooms, one of which is ChooChoo's room and the other is our bedroom where he is also allowed. He's got his cat tree, food bowl etc. all upstairs and he usually ignores us or comes and sits next to us etc.

When he's downstairs, ChooChoo is always hiding and running around and rarely even allows us to pet him. I initially thought that once ChooChoo spends enough time downstairs, he'll get used to the space and "own" it.

But even after a few months, he is still doing his split personality thing upstairs vs. downstairs.

What could be driving this?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
very normal ... and part of the kitty family heirchy...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's actually been a past thread about this very thing.

But simply put, cats have their comfort zones. For whatever reason your cat feels more comfortable upstairs. You could try adding a couple feliway diffusers downstairs. The simplest things such as furniture layout, foot traffic, noise, and smells downstairs could have an effect.

I have some that are easier to approach in specific rooms or only when they want something. That's just a cat for you.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi jbrickm,

While this might be perfectly normal I do have some suggestions from first hand experience that I would like to share with you.

Almost a year ago I acquired a four month old cat from the vet that I work for. She was very tame but scared. Scared to the point she shook. But NEVER acted aggressive. So my boss asked if I would consider fostering her. I of course said yes.

Well she spent two weeks in a dog crate with her food, water and litter box in a spare room. I would hand feed her and pet her at least four times a day. Well on week three she finally wanted to come out of the crate and be petted. But it took her another two weeks till she would walk around the room that the dog crate was in. But for those first two weeks any noise and I do mean any she would run into the crate.

Well after she got used to the small extra bedroom I moved her and the dog crate into my larger bedroom. Well I did the above procedure again. But it took only two weeks to get used to my bedroom.

But she was still scared of the other members of the household (human and cat). She was a very sweet and loving to me, but no one else. This went on for a few months.

Well then I had obligations a few states away. So I figured I needed to take her with me. Since no one else could touch her other then me. So I was scared I would come home to a feral cat in my home.

Well I stayed in three different places with this cat over a two month period. So she was forced to see new people and places and such. She acted timid but still ate and drank and followed me around shortly after arriving at each place. She even explored these people houses. Which she would never do in my home.

Upon arrival at home. I had a cat within a week that would walk around my home
. She now will even stay in the room with strangers. Plus she will even take treats and pets from the other people in my household.

She still loves me the most. She still trusts me the most, but in general she is much less shy and like most other cats I have met/worked with.

So my two suggestions are simply this: Either confine that cat to a crate down stairs and pet her and feed her there. So she will slowly "associate" you as the "same" person upstairs and down stairs. Or you could try and bring him into a completely new place (if possible) for a few weeks. This might help to have no choice but to "come out" of his shell.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps some
. If you need any clarification let me know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jbrickm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat Person

This is a great idea that you shared. Thank you! Clearly it has worked for your kitten. I cannot take ChooChoo to a new place but I can definitely try to confine him downstairs for an extended period and see if he accepts it.

My wife and I have some vacation coming up and we are planning to stay at home this year and take care of some house fixing. This would be a good time to try this because we'll be home all day and can be around in case ChooChoo has big issues with staying downstairs.