Diet to manage megacolon

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I tried pumpkin, didn't really help us... It seems that her bowels are working well, psyllium and egg yolk and probiotic did the trick, but the issue is with the stool coming out :) As for Miralax, I didn't manage to find an alternative for it here... Not sure if it's me, or if there actually isn't anything similar available. I am on the lookout on ebay, though, trying to find one that can be shipped here at a reasonable price :)

Sedona22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Becky, I want to tell you our story about our cat that has mega colon. It started when he was a kitten and he will be 8 years old this year. We took him to the vet and they suggested the surgery which is expensive and risky. We tried castor oil, pumpkin, metamucil, etc. and nothing would help our Salem. One day way back then my husband suggested that we feed him baked fish as it is very easy to digest for humans and hopefully it would work for Salem and his mega colon. IT DID! I have been baking fish for him for the last 7 years. I buy a 2 pound bag of frozen whiting filets and I cook the whole bag at once and it will last for about a week. I lay the frozen filets on top of the grate that comes with a turkey pan and put them in the oven at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes. I then take each filet and with a knife scrape off all of the skin and put the fish in a plate and cover it with saran wrap and store it in the fridge. Every meal time I cut a piece of fish off and heat it in the microwave and I add 1.75 ml of lactulose and mix it in the fish. I feed him twice a day. For the last 7 years he has been able to poop with no problem whatsoever. The fish and the lactulose saved Salem's life. My husband and I spent many a day and night crying back then thinking that we were going to have to put him down. Our lives and Salem's life has been changed forever. If you have any questions let me know.

Sedona22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello..just started this site.
I'm wondering about the baked fish....
I'm going to try that this evening for my cat...he was on hills prescription diet i/d and still having problems
He left a very hard stool on the bed in the spare room..
What other canned wet food should I feed him along with the fish...Thank you...Fran

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello..just started this site.
I'm wondering about the baked fish....
I'm going to try that this evening for my cat...he was on hills prescription diet i/d and still having problems
He left a very hard stool on the bed in the spare room..
What other canned wet food should I feed him along with the fish...Thank you...Fran
Remember, if you do the baked fish, that is NOT a 100% nutritionally complete meal for a cat (unless it's a whole fish with it's guts and all still intact :wink: ) Cats need the organs and bones to make it nutritionally complete. So you definitely need to supplement with canned or add liver and some form of calcium to the fish IF it works well.

I know you have another thread going as well in regards to food, so I am only going to ask whether or not you have tried Miralax. It is NOT like adding fiber, it works more like a stool softener. It really seems to work wonders.

Sedona22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Remember, if you do the baked fish, that is NOT a 100% nutritionally complete meal for a cat (unless it's a whole fish with it's guts and all still intact :wink: ) Cats need the organs and bones to make it nutritionally complete. So you definitely need to supplement with canned or add liver and some form of calcium to the fish IF it works well.

I know you have another thread going as well in regards to food, so I am only going to ask whether or not you have tried Miralax. It is NOT like adding fiber, it works more like a stool softener. It really seems to work wonders.

Sedona22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.
Yes...he's been on Miralax for years on and off. I just try different cat food.
Yes..I understand I'd have to give him wet canned food as well....I just want advice on the best low fiber and grain free wet cat food.
I don't give them ( I have 2 ) dry food because they don't drink enough water.
I've got 2threads going as I just started the site....and couldn't quite figure it out..lol
I just made baked white fish about an hour ago....my other cat won't touch it
I'm waiting for smokey..my kitty with the megacolon to waken up

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have used Cisapride is Oral Suspension. for my boy has worked wonder fewer trips to the vet for a clean out. He has not had to go to the vet in over a 2 years for a clean out.

Nevergiveup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone. I'm so thankful for this site. Lots of great info. My calico Sasha was diagnosed with Kidney disease a few years ago. In June she started waking me up at night meowing (screaming) in my face and trying to hump my arm. When I took her to the vet she thought it was a UTI and gave her antibiotics. Sasha also began ripping out her fur on the right side of her stomach - she made a bald spot the size of 4 quarters. Night after night she woke me up and tried to hump my arm. Her current vet at that time blew it off. She was getting weekly IV fluids for the kidney disease. I asked the Dr. to do an enema and after her exam she didn't think it was necessary so didn't do it. I then took her for a 2nd opinion and asked the vet to do an x-ray to which she said she was constipated. An enema later & fluids were given and a script for K/D food, miralax 1/4 tsp 2x day, cobalequinc, epicatin, gabapentin & cerenia. My cat was knocked out for days on end and wouldn't take half of the meds prescribed. Miralax was upped to 1 tsp 2x day. That totally knocked her out as well. Finally after a few enema's she was prescribed lactulose and cisapride - 2x day. After weekly visits (for 4 months) she is eating Delectable Stew Senior 15+ (Renal disease) with added water, which has been a Godsend and keeping her alive. Her weight is now 6 lbs (down from 10). We are still figuring out meds and how to help her. I think we have both aged dramatically thru this whole process. I'm thankful for friends that had great advice & this site to learn what works & what doesn't. P.S. if you need any of those other meds listed above, let me know cuz my little one isn't going to take them.

Nevergiveup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.
Yes...he's been on Miralax for years on and off. I just try different cat food.
Yes..I understand I'd have to give him wet canned food as well....I just want advice on the best low fiber and grain free wet cat food.
I don't give them ( I have 2 ) dry food because they don't drink enough water.
I've got 2threads going as I just started the site....and couldn't quite figure it out..lol
I just made baked white fish about an hour ago....my other cat won't touch it
I'm waiting for smokey..my kitty with the megacolon to waken up
I took a pic of how to bake white fish so I could make it too. When I gave my cat dry food I would soak it in water so at least it wasn't dry when she ate it. Try delectable Stew (walmart) and add water to it. My pickiest eater loves it!!!