Diet Related Chin Acne ??? ( Mei Li )

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Snowy is on the L-lysine gel, but she still has chin acne.  We manage it by washing her face every morning with a warm wet washcloth - also necessary to keep her eyes and nose clean.  I use glass bowls but never thought about a flat plate.  Even using the bowls we still end up with food on the floor as they toss out the chunks to get to the gravy at the bottom.  Might have to try it though.  We let her chin acne get out of control once before when we didn't know it was acne and just thought we have a dirty cat.  She really REALLY does not like getting her face washed.  But when I finally couldn't stand the black spot  under her chin anymore and washed it all off, she had a pretty good sore underneath.  I won't let it get that bad again!  In another thread someone mentioned they use a dab of lysterine to control their cats acne.  I haven't tried that yet.  I get so many good tips from this forum.  You guys are awesome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Snowy is on the L-lysine gel, but she still has chin acne.  We manage it by washing her face every morning with a warm wet washcloth - also necessary to keep her eyes and nose clean.  I use glass bowls but never thought about a flat plate.  Even using the bowls we still end up with food on the floor as they toss out the chunks to get to the gravy at the bottom.  Might have to try it though.  We let her chin acne get out of control once before when we didn't know it was acne and just thought we have a dirty cat.  She really REALLY does not like getting her face washed.  But when I finally couldn't stand the black spot  under her chin anymore and washed it all off, she had a pretty good sore underneath.  I won't let it get that bad again!  In another thread someone mentioned they use a dab of lysterine to control their cats acne.  I haven't tried that yet.  I get so many good tips from this forum.  You guys are awesome!
Yeah , I am not sure that the Lysine has any effect on the chin acne  but it does keep her sneezing at bay ..   I think she is just prone to to chin acne but it does seem as though it is clearing up a little faster since I changed her diet .. I am thinking she is sensitive to  added colors , artificial preservatives and fish ..

Last edited:

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That could be.  Snowy is already on the healthiest diet we can get her to eat due to her sensitive stomache and itchy skin, no dyes or yucky stuff and her acne is not too bad so long as I wash her face everyday, or at the minimum a couple times a week.  She also needs a regular bath every month or so or her coat gets greasy and ratty and she gets really itchy.  Its not that she doesn't groom herself... she does, all the time.  At first, it seemed like she needed bathed every couple weeks.  Currently it has been about 5 weeks and she still looks pretty good.  Maybe someday we will not need to bath her - would that be awesome!.  I don't know if its because of whatever breed she may be, if its related to her having lost most of her coat prior to being rescued, if its the diet she was on before we got her, age, coincidence or what. She is all white, and when we got her from the Shelter, she was white and yellow and they said it was just stained.  She cleaned up pretty well in the bath, but the first months we had her, she was prone to staining... and now hardlyl stains on her body, just when her eyes get matted.

I think Snowy is just convinced that is there is a condition, she needs to try it at least once!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That could be.  Snowy is already on the healthiest diet we can get her to eat due to her sensitive stomache and itchy skin, no dyes or yucky stuff and her acne is not too bad so long as I wash her face everyday, or at the minimum a couple times a week.  She also needs a regular bath every month or so or her coat gets greasy and ratty and she gets really itchy.  Its not that she doesn't groom herself... she does, all the time.  At first, it seemed like she needed bathed every couple weeks.  Currently it has been about 5 weeks and she still looks pretty good.  Maybe someday we will not need to bath her - would that be awesome!.  I don't know if its because of whatever breed she may be, if its related to her having lost most of her coat prior to being rescued, if its the diet she was on before we got her, age, coincidence or what. She is all white, and when we got her from the Shelter, she was white and yellow and they said it was just stained.  She cleaned up pretty well in the bath, but the first months we had her, she was prone to staining... and now hardlyl stains on her body, just when her eyes get matted.

I think Snowy is just convinced that is there is a condition, she needs to try it at least once!
That is great . I am glad she is doing better ..

calisamgal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah , I am not sure that the Lysine has any effect on the chin acne  but it does keep her sneezing at bay ..   I think she is just prone to to chin acne but it does seem as though it is clearing up a little faster since I changed her diet .. I am thinking she is sensitive to  added colors , artificial preservatives and fish ..
Weird question, what kind of fish was your cat eating? I'm going to try removing all of the fish varieties to see if it helps mine, but that doesn't leave many choices! :p Just wondering, as I'm assuming it's very difficult to pin down most cat allergies much less a specific type of fish... also to loose the benefits of salmon in the diet if not necessary would be a shame.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird question, what kind of fish was your cat eating? I'm going to try removing all of the fish varieties to see if it helps mine, but that doesn't leave many choices! :p Just wondering, as I'm assuming it's very difficult to pin down most cat allergies much less a specific type of fish... also to loose the benefits of salmon in the diet if not necessary would be a shame.
Not a weird question at all .  It  is mostly Tuna or the so called Ocean Whitefish like in FF .  I am not sure if that caused the chin acne but fish does make my cats sick so I do not feed it and they are fine .

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
canned food and a furminator will give a beautiful coat