Diet / Food amount recommendation

Rose-Petal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I struggle a lot with numbers so bare with me.

I am in the process of changing my cats food from dry to wet (or both) I have purchased:

Hills C/D Urinary Care Multicare Stress Wet Cat Food Chicken Stew (he loves it so far) as well as the dry food version

The dry food which he has been on forever is Go Cat Crunchy and Tender Salmon and Tuna. I am hoping to wean him off this as I think it's what's caused his weight gain. He is 5.1kg. I am hoping to use the Hills wet and Hills dry food and mix together (is this good or bad?)

Their website suggests for his weight (5kg) he should have 1 82g wet and 55g dry, but this seems excessive to me. I'm worried he would put on more weight. Am I thinking wrong and is that the correct amount to give, or should I be feeding him less for him to lose weight? Could someone recommend the correct amount I should be giving him. I have asked my vet but they haven't got back to me yet.

The reason I am so worried is he has recently had a urinary blockage and the vets said one of the factors was stress and also another is that he's a "large" cat. He's a standard tabby breed.

If there are any other tips for him to lose weight, I'd appreciate anything. I just want my boy to be healthy. He's an indoor cat. I have purchased many more play things for him.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you can get him to eat the canned urinary diet, then just discontinue the dry all together. No need to do a gradual transition. Just stop the dry. If you continue the store brand dry he will block again. If he won’t eat canned then mix the dry prescription diet with the canned. But no more of the store brand dry snd no treats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, about his weight and the amount of food, try starting to keep a log of his weight. Weigh him every week or so.

If you like his body condition as it is, then depending on whether you see him gaining or losing you can adjust his meals from there in combination with the good advice above :)

There are adult cat body condition charts on the internet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose-Petal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply!

I spoke with my vet, and we agreed on a strict diet for him to lose a little weight. She said he isn't majorly overweight but losing some would benefit and help prevent any further urinary blockages as well as some lifestyle changes for him.

Thanks all :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose-Petal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply...

I give him 9g (3g three times a day mixed in):

Hill's PRESCRIPTION DIET c/d Multicare Stress Cat Food

Mixed in with 1 packet of (3 small portions throughout the day):

Hill's PRESCRIPTION DIET c/d Multicare Cat Food

I also mix in:

YuMOVE Super Salmon Oil (2 sprays)
YuMOVE Urinary Care capsule (1 capsule opened and sprinkled on food)
GimCat Multivitamin Extra (3cm)

He has 2 water fountains in the house, and he is a lot more active and playful.

I hope this helps someone else whose baby (cat) may have the same issue mine did... Mine has been fine and urinating normal ever since starting the above regime/diet.