Diet dry food

redcat57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 of our 4 cats are overweight, Pippin is the right weight (and he was just diagnosed as a little hyper-thyroid).
Their basic diet meets with the vet's approval.
A big problem is the housemate that gives them food outside of their scheduled times.
(The compulsive feeder is also overweight and convinced I am trying to starve them to death, despite the vet's opinion)

They get wet food in the evening and dry food dispensed in measured doses.
Lillianna and Sophia are pretty lukewarm about wet food.

Domino is a 19+ pound boy likes any and all food, he and Lillianna are beggars.
Lilly is very aggressive about it, clawing things and people.
She is also a scarf and barf - so sometimes she may actually be hungry.

The vet suggested getting some diet food for the compulsive feeders.
SO - I went looking, and all of the "weight management" food appears to have the same amount of calories, they just have the helpful solution to "feed less"
I checked the - Commercial Pet Food Database and the figures there confirm most dry food is pretty uniform.
The ones with less calories are expensive and require a vet prescription.
I did not check to see how complete the list is.
Does anyone know of any affordable diet food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redcat57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try a slow feeder instead of diet food.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071WVGPGF/?tag=
We have 3 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJVQVF6/?tag=thecatsite
One for Lillianna, who stays in one part of the house, and 2 for the other 3 in the other part of the house.
The 2 for the kids are set to dispense at the same time so Domino doesn't eat all the food. Sophia is also overweight so that seems to be working.

I have been unable to retrain the housemate, not the cats.
She has had bad dreams about starving pets to death so she can't be broken of her habits.
I have been trying for years. She is not consistent enough that I want to risk changing the dispense amounts.

I think if I went back to free feeding she would still put extra in the bowls "just in case" or "to freshen it up"
I basically want to give her something to feed that won't be horrible.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about Orijen treats or something like that? I don't know of any diet food beyond what you've commented about above.
Or, have your vet give you a prescription for one of the expensive brands, and since it sounds like the housemate isn't giving them a lot (meaning you wouldn't have to fill the prescription very frequently), maybe have the bag available just for her to use?