Didn't Think Finding A Cat Was This Hard!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, cats pick YOU, you don't pick them.
You'll find the right one eventually probably where you least expect it.

If you like one that says "no dogs", see if you can bring Trent in and introduce them in the shelter/rescue and see how they get along. I think a lot of people just think dogs and cats can't get along, or they see a cats reaction to one strange dog that she's never met before and decide they don't like dogs period. Or....you can just take a trip out to West Virginia and meet the sweetest little thing that was just dropped off on our road. She just made herself at home after day 2 (snuck in with the dogs), and rubs up on them constantly. Or, we have a variety of outdoor barn cats that need homes and are dog friendly (hint, hint!).

lizita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Too bad you aren't closer to Indiana. I have several cats of all shapes and colors that do just fine with dogs as long as the dog is fine with them. They are all in need of loving homes and plenty of deserving, homeless cats needs their spot here.
Actually, the majority of my fosters came to me as strays and were not big fans of dogs. But once the realize that the dogs are not going to harm them they do just fine with the dogs. My girl dog can be a bit of a pest with the cats, especially if they hiss at her, and some of the cats are scared of her. But all the cats have completely accepted my other dog and my foster dog. I'm sure that your new cat will learn to live with your dog too as long as your dog treats the cat right.

photogbuff1970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

Craigslist (etc) make me SO depressed. There are TONS of cats around here in need of good homes and I'm sure never find them
. Seriously! How many people in the city of Ottawa can spontanously come down with cat-allergies after 5, 8 or even 14 years of cat ownership!!! I want to take them ALL
(a.k.a. why I stay AWAY from those sites!!!).
My allergist told me when I was a kid that I needed to get rid of all my cats. I told him "where to go and how to get there". There was no way in ~heck~ that he was going to tell my parents to remove my cats. And remarkably, I outgrew my cat allergy when I became an adult.

siamesepeaches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was surprised at how long it took me to find my cat. I was very anxious, once I decided I wanted a cat I wanted one right away! I spent nearly 3 months searching Petfinder, visiting local shelters, awful craigslist, newspapers....I got really discouraged. I finally walked into the shelter one day and there she was. Keep looking for what you want, that cat is definitely out there for you!