Did you keep/change your cat's name from previous owner/guardian?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

For those of you who changed your cat's name: didn't it confuse them?
If its a shelter name, they often dont know it anyway, plus mine have so many nicknames that they get called a lot, they answer to them too

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

So I changed it to "Bella". I took him to the vet 3 times and they never told me he wasn't a girl. When I took him the 4th time, I asked them, because he was getting his testicles. Then I was told he was a boy, and I kept one of his nicknames, Monster. I don't think he knew his name when he was Bella, and even if he did, it would be odd to have a male cat named Bella. LOL.
You could have just shortened the spelling by one "L" making it Bela, and you could have said he was named after Bela Lugosi!

Ophelia was a baby kitten stuck in between the walls of our apartment building. She didn't come with a name, but it took us forever to come up with Ophelia, when I was rattling off Shakespearean female characters because none of the other 5 million names we had come up with fit.

Trent also took a while to figure out. DH tried calling him Hamlet once (to go with Ophelia) and I busted up laughing because that was NOT his name! We settled on Trent (yes, after Trent Reznor
because kitten Trent would throw himself around while playing the same way Trent Reznor did on stage) on the way to the vet the first time.

Ginger Cookie is a TCS kitty.
She came to Colorado all the way from Ohio where Eileen's (eilcon) cousin found her. It was Eileen's cousin's children who named her, but it really does fit her. Usually she's called either Ginger or Cookie, but she answers to both or both put together.

Mojo was named Mojo in the shelter. They thought she was a boy (apparently they never looked, just went by her behaviour, which is definitely more "male"). I don't know how long she was at the "shelter" (a No-Kill, so it's not really a cage-type shelter), but she was 6 months old when we adopted her. I've never seen a cat respond as much to their name as she does! She gets super excited when you say her name real fast, and she will come running from wherever she is when she's called. I don't know, but she is most definitely MOJO!

Annie is actually the only cat I've named. She was in the middle of a national forest at a rifle range during a rifle match when we found her and rescued her. On the way home with her draped over my shoulder asleep (yeah, right...she was going to be a foster
) I decided she needed a name. Since we came to each other at the Anniversary Match, Annie it was.

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Callie Du was called Kitty or something like that. Basically she didn't have a name. All the others were named by me, well my husband named Salt.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the exception of Sho I don't even know who had my cats before I did, and Sho didn't have a name.

I think Sherman was called Fluffy, or something with fluffy in the name often because he will look at us and chirp when we say the word. Though to be fair, we're usually talking about him at the time.

The adult cats know the names I've given them and do respond in some way or another. So I don't think they're confused.
The kittens don't know their's yet, but they're too young to care about that anyways.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ollie was originally named Harvey when I adopted him. He was only 3 months old though - plus I think the name was only what the local humane society gave him for their records and to make the animals more adoptable (ie: somebody would be more likely to adopt a cat named "Fluffy" than a cat named "Shelter animal #762308") I got the impression that neither he nor his 2 sisters had names prior to being brought to the humane society.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gus was "Bertram"

Finn was "Ice"

Ramsay didn't have a name before as I named his whole litter at the shelter, so Ramsay stuck with him.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We took in a female calico stray kitty and named her Patches.

The neighbors were calling her Mr. Kitty... Not a nice name for such a pretty lady

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Squeaky Deaky's former name was Mitze. I felt slightly bad about changing it since she had had that name for 4 years, but she didn't answer to it, so why not? She actually does answer to Squeaky, Kitty, and the husband's nickname for her, Katkoot Amour (cute chick in arabic). Of course, by answer I mean she slowly turns her head in my direction, glares at me for interrupting her solitude and then slowly turns it back and continues to ignore me
On occasion, she will actually come when she's called, but only if it's what *she* wants.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was fostering the kittens we found in our yard, we didn't know what to name the orange tabby.. so we named him Cheese.
My mom was very upset - "he is so cute! why not Cheddar??? or something?? why Cheese??!?!" but we liked Cheese.

His new momma re-named him to be Ernie... but he will always be Cheese to me.
He was so cute

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the previous owner who i got both of mine off actually asked us what we wanted that kittens to be called...... as soon as i seen the pics of the little ones i knew what their names should be

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept all their names. Fiona and Rocko at least.

Now ReeRee.....he was Little Ray Ray....his dad is Big Ray Ray....try and call your cat Ray Ray or even Little Ray Ray...not gonna work
So he is the lazy mans (wo-mans
) RayRay....REEREE
So, not quite a change more of a variation.