Did you get your kitty sight-unseen?

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was volunteering at an adoption center when I met my kitty - she was very pretty with gorgeous green eyes, but was very shy and would not come out of her cage to play at all. And she would let you pet her for a bit and bite like crazy. It didn't seem she was going be able to be adoptable after all. She definitely wasn't what I had in mind for a pet, not her markings or personality.

Although there are many, many wonderful cats and kittens I meet every week, she just kept sticking in the back of my mind and her foster said she just needed "TLC" and patience and she would be a great cat. I couldn't stand the thought of her being released back to her colony and not adopted so I took her.

She is a challenge but I do love her to bits and spoil her rotten. It has been such a wonderful experience giving her love and attention and a home. She is coming around - sometimes it is 3 steps forward, 2 steps back but we are making progress.

There was just "something" about her...

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful that you didn't give up on this baby.......do you have a pic you could share?

Originally Posted by Forget-Me-Not

I was volunteering at an adoption center when I met my kitty - she was very pretty with gorgeous green eyes, but was very shy and would not come out of her cage to play at all. And she would let you pet her for a bit and bite like crazy. It didn't seem she was going be able to be adoptable after all. She definitely wasn't what I had in mind for a pet, not her markings or personality.

Although there are many, many wonderful cats and kittens I meet every week, she just kept sticking in the back of my mind and her foster said she just needed "TLC" and patience and she would be a great cat. I couldn't stand the thought of her being released back to her colony and not adopted so I took her.

She is a challenge but I do love her to bits and spoil her rotten. It has been such a wonderful experience giving her love and attention and a home. She is coming around - sometimes it is 3 steps forward, 2 steps back but we are making progress.

There was just "something" about her...

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat that lives at my husbands feed store chose me:I was at the groomers with 2 of my cats when I saw cages for the humane society. I could not resist there was a cage full of kittens and I knelt down to look at them and I got hit on top of the head. I looked up and this beautiful all black cat was looking at me like HEY what about me!!!! I could not resist I asked to hold him and I fell in love, the girl said everyone loves Teddy here, well unfortunately Teddy does NOT like other cats so he could not come home with me, So I called my husband and said he needed to take this cat and he could live at the feed store and he agreed and the rest is history he greets all the customers and hes Loving life! That was 4 years ago this month and 11lbs ago He's almost 20 lbs!!!

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Bootsie sight unseen. We were not allowed to enter the area where the kitties were kept because they were apparently stressed from the long flight (all Katrina kitties). They picked out Bootsie for me and I loved her at first sight. Granted I had only agreed to fostering her, but I can't imagine being able to give her up (not good I know but I was way more attached than I expected).

I gave a little thought on Monty. I wanted to be certain he would get along with Bootsie. But, even then, I was just given a description of him before I went to pick him up. I was counting on it to be right.

I think you will just know if the kitty is right for your family. Instinct about this kind of thing seems to be very strong.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just saw the top of her little head sticking out over the top of her litter box., with that no one loves me or wants me, look

i was not even planning on getting another cat yet.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Disco (RB) turned up and we just couldn't get rid of her!
She well and truely adopted us!

I didn't really get to know Tibby and Molly, they were from a colony in my street and they needed love and care so the neighbours took many in! I kind of got to know Molly a little while I kept pulling her from scurrying around the busy main road (knew she was going to be a bit of a nutter!
)

Willow was a bit of a surprise as he turned up outside my door at night

Annie, I did meet before I adopted her, but I basically knew she'd be coming home with me anyway!

I'm happy that - in the most part - everything has gone really well and we definitely have a happy house!

Good luck convincing DH that this kitty is the one, Heidi!

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wonton wasn't sight unseen, but i didn't know much about him. Found him on the street, took him home with the intention of bringing him to a no-kill shelter the next day. PROMISED my boyfriend i would bring him to a no kill shelter first thing tomorrow morning.

three something years later, he's still here
that first night he gobbled down a can of tuna, hopped up on my lap, and went to sleep, and right then, i knew i wasn't bringing him to any shelter

i say if it feels meant to be, do it.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I'm wondering...if you didn't meet your kitty in person before s/he came home, how did you know they were "the one"? Were there concerns that they would fit into your home? How did that work out? Did kitty have to travel far to come home? How did they react to that?

You guessed it - I'm considering adopting a kitty that is too far away to meet before I/we make the decision.
So I want to know from others who have done it - how did this process go for you???
I got Bellie and Jellie sight unseen the distance traveled wasnt to bad. that being said they were also itty bitty babbies that were than raised on the bottle. at the time it was just my Loki and My Dutchy. Loki hated them, Dutchy got motherly and did everything but nurse them. Loki eventually came around, and he is often spotted cuddling jellie and or bellie.

All of my persians were gotten with only seeing photos. And i dont know, how i KNew i just knew. something inside me told me I knew and they were mine and ment to be here. They fit in wonderfully while they pretty much keep together, they get along great with everyone else. And Ares, well we all know he was the light of my life.

The travel wasnt bad on them. My girls came all the way from CA (thank you Dragonpass as always) and had some sniffles a little bit, but they were fine. And settled in fine they came by plane.

My boy Ares came by Car, from KS and he did fine. My girls have also traveled by car MN to KS and back and did fine. a little stress panting but no ill effects.

Good luck with your possible new venture

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

Wonton wasn't sight unseen, but i didn't know much about him. Found him on the street, took him home with the intention of bringing him to a no-kill shelter the next day. PROMISED my boyfriend i would bring him to a no kill shelter first thing tomorrow morning.

three something years later, he's still here
that first night he gobbled down a can of tuna, hopped up on my lap, and went to sleep, and right then, i knew i wasn't bringing him to any shelter

i say if it feels meant to be, do it.
You got Wonton sight unseen???? I thought he was a bengal (shows how much I know). What a lovely kitty. I just love his sniffing face in the siggy.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got Zasha and Izzy from a rescue shelter. Izzy, five month, was very shy to people but I saw the spark in her eyes and for some reason she accepted me at once. The owner of the shelter really tried to talk me out of it since Izzy was born feral and would be a lot of work but I had made up my mind. We just came for one cat but when we were leaving Zasha, also a cat who kept distance, just walked up to me and told me she had chosen us. I explained that to my husband and he understood. Izzy is today two years and a bit and the huggiest cat in the world. Zasha, two month older than Izzy) is our guardian angel and she owns my husband. He is not allowed to leave home without her permission. She has been abused before and was very afraid for loud voices and hasty movements for a long time but now she has learned to trust us.
Pictures (mixed with pictures of our feral cat-family): http://photos.yahoo.com/paulvansintjan

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found Rosie when i rang a pet shop. I hadn't seen her at all and only knew that she was a girl and a tortie with a smudge on her nose. I told them to keep her for me and that i was coming over to pick her up straight from work because i wanted her with just the description

With Sophie, my friend Emma who's a vet nurse e-mailed me about her. I said i wanted her as well but to send me a picture of her still.

I remember thinking how i couldn't believe she had the same smudge on her nose as Rosie!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if you would call my gang "site unseen". Most of them were either born on my property or dumped there. I took them in when they showed up and while I did have an option to try to find them all homes, do to a different reasons for each cat, I didn't go that route. I guess they were mostly site unseen.

My friend who lives out your way adopted 3 kittens from me site unseen and absolutely loves all of them. While 2 of them were born on my property and I bottle fed them so could vouch for them, the 3rd came to me in a plea from local rescue groups. He was a deaf cat dumped in a shelter. Having lost her deaf boy a few years earlier, I teasingly forwarded her the e-mail and she called me and told me to pull him and she would drive out to pick him up. I went to the shelter to meet him and he playfully turned my arm into hamburger that day. In spite of this first meeting, she still wanted him. He is actually their favorite of their gang of 4.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd seen a couple of pictures (not sure if that counts) but my mum basically pointed at the picture of the grey kitten and said "we're getting that one" and that was that! We'd also asked for a confident cat, and wow, we got her

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twig was (at least for me) a sight unseen because he was a present from Brad to me. Brad picked him out of a litter of farm cats because he was the most loveable one and he turned out to be the most hyper one! LOL! In the car ( No Brad didn't have a carrier) Twig decided to show his true colors and ran around biting Brad and still he was Brads favorite even to this day!
Rocket was one we got from a cat show so we got to see him.
Isis and Luna showed up one day, They were with a Tom and both were very pregnant. I started feeding them and Isis lost her kittens because (we think) of a racoon and just started hanging around soon after she had them, and Luna we just brought in after she started hanging around more and more towards the winter. They were both ferals and didn't like being inside one bit. But hey turned out to be great cats. Still don't like anyone but us, but it's a start. Slow going but at least I can honestly say, ferals can be turned into great housecats!