Did you change your cat's name when you brought them home?

aleya_catlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stick with the name VALENTINE when me n my hubby got him from his x-owner. We feel that the name suit 2 him. N he always giving sign like meow when we call him but we have 2 add word "SAYANG" in malaysia or in english "LOVE" then he will meow. The other two, we just luv japanese name, DEFI (japanese car meter) n' KYOKO (actress name). But I'm glad that three of them know their own names when we call them individually.

limpyandrippy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a name when I 1st got her. Had something to do with pea. Have had her about a year and a half. I named her Angel. She was a Farrell cat when I got her. She had a foster parent that gave her to the feed barn to put up for adopting. Could not see much of her because she stayed behind my couch and just came out long enough to eat and use the litter box. She is so friendly now and I chose the right name for her. She is a Angel.
Norma

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we do change their names sometimes.

Connor was Connery originally, as in Sean Connery I'm assuming. It sounded too strange as a first name but I didn't want to make too drastic a change, hence he became Connor.

After he passed, my mom and stepfather adopted a new cat. Her old name was Michi (her owner was a Japanese exchange student who surrendered her when he moved back home =/), which neither of them could pronounce. I was on a Supernatural kick at the time and suggested Misha as a new name for her. It stuck and I don't think they've yet figured out where Misha's name came from. 

The cat I'm interested in adopting soon is currently named Flicka. Poor guy, who names a male cat after a female horse? A kid, probably. Anyway. If he's still there when I'm ready and the adoption goes through, I am definitely renaming him. Already know his new name--Reno. Nothing to do with the city and everything to do with his resemblance to a particular game character.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kismet's name on her rescue's website was "Dogmatix" (matched her siblings, Obelix, Cacofonix, Atlantix, Pacifix). The foster home flat out said they don't use those names with the cats and that they're just on the website to identify and personalize the cats. I wouldn't have kept Dogmatix, hahaha.

I think when my boyfriend adopted Mo, he had a generic A151 or some kind of cage identifying number. His ex named Mo.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet didn't have a shelter name.. or if he did, I didn't take note of it. He was the only kitten available at the time at this shelter!

Cassie was Paige. I really didn't like "human" names for animals.. so I named her Picasso.. and eventually Cassie as a nickname just stuck, lol. She's Picasso on all paperwork (vet, insurance, her tag/Microchip), but she's called Cassie.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lol, I know- I meant common human names, like "Charlie" or "Bob" or "Lucy".. (no offense to those who has pets named these!)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie was...Charlie. I couldn't imagine him with any other name. That was his name at the shelter, and after having a one on one with him, he just seemed like a Charlie.

Jet was Midnight (the shelter named her because she was found as a stray). We (the BF and I) initially named her Jade. We both wanted something feminine and pretty (for a name). After having her a couple weeks, we quickly changed her name to Jet...like, Jet Black, :) my little rusty princess...it suit her so well.

oh! and the cats have last names too! hahaha

Charlie Ahmed (my last name)

Jet Moore (the BF's last name)

its not on their tags or anything, but it is on their vet paperwork, and micro chips :)

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Foley came with that name. We didn't like it but then we didnt choose one we liked so we stayed with Foley. His foster mom named him after a friend she lost in 9/11 so we just kept it. Maia didn't have a name so we googled some names and called her Maia after a Greek godess.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept the names from the shelter.  They suited them and I'm not creative...at all. 

phara n dexter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did change both of my cats names! My cat Dexter was named Henry when i first got him. And Pharas name was renee! :)

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish we had changed Mew's name. The guy we got her from swore she came running to the name of Mew. She doesn't. She doesn't even look around when you call Mew. Bums me out.
He said she "talked" and would say "Mew" in various tones. She doesn't. She rarely ever talkes.

My 6 year old named Ana and Elsa whom we also call Elsie. They look and come when called.
I named little man Walter after Jeff Dunham's comedy routine... one puppet is named Walter. Both Walters are cranky and do as "they" want lol. I love Walter on the Jeff Dunham show. So we have Walter/Wally/ Wallypoppers. Lol MY WALLY is starting to come when called and not so baby-baby anymore. He is appx 6 weeks old. Maybe a smidge older.

Last edited:

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tristan (RB) I named him, came to me without one...
Kayenne was Kai, when I wondered aloud what had kai in it DH suggested Cayenne so she became Kayenne.

Most others didn't TELL me their name when they arrived so I waited....til it came to me..

My newest adoptee is a totally black boy cat with the name Salem.... Still wondering if I should change it ??? too many witchtype connections being that he IS a black cat ?
My avatar pic is of Serendipity (RB) she had a short, but serendipitous, well loved life... She packed alot of rescue at the right time, treatment & travel to get to me.... Long Island to Lafayette, In.

Unfortunately, Felv beat us in the end. In case you are wondering I adopted her as a felv+....
Sorry for the detours....

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xena's shelter name was "Peaches". her being a Russian Blue baby it just didn't fit. So we thought for several days and finally narrowed it down to Xena or Small Wonder, which would have just been shortened to "Wonder" so we thought why not Xena the Wonder Cat and it stuck. It fits her perfectly, she is always darting and jumping and play fighting...... plus she is a small little itty bitty thing, like a small wonder with those beautiful bottle green eyes and lilac paws!! Not to mention she is very photogenic too! (she just turned 2 months old)

View media item 224545

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our cats all named themselves. The "kittens" were born in our bedroom (over 18 years ago) and, within a week or so of their births, told us what their names were supposed to be. BooBoo and Ms. Pepe.

Whisper was originally called Smokie by the people who had her originally, but she hated it....she never liked that name. I started calling her Whisper and she immediately started to answer me. Her sister, Bootser, was originally called Mittens, but again, she really liked to be called Bootser. How do I know? Because those cats refused to answer to those names. The ears might twitch when I called them, but nothing. When I called them by the names they wanted, they immediately started to answer me.

Miss Amber was called Marmalade, according to the woman who gave her to me (who also told me that "she" was a "he"). She came into the house and I was more than willing to continue with the Marmalade name. One morning, though, I called her and she didn't show up. She finally crawled out from behind the couch and, without even thinking, I said, "Miss Amber, where were you???" And she immediately became Amber Louise. (She really likes to be called "Miss" Amber, though. You can see it. I swear.)

When I saw Mollipop at the vet hospital as a wee little kitten, I desperately tried to call her Bastet. She wanted no part of that and refused to even consider it. I finally figured out that she was a Mollipop and she said that was fine. 

I truly believe that, given time and patience, cats will let you know what their names are. 

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chester's name was "brew" at the shelter when we got him.  I named him chester because I actually wanted Cheshire, but it didn't flow off my tongue well enough.  

Dynah-Bear was a rescue at a week old by my sister and I....she was originally just bear, because she mewed like a little bear when she was a kitten.  I added the Dynah to it when I officially adopted her because Dynah is the name of Alice's cat.  She comes to either or both together.

Yuki was "mocha" when we adopted her.  We didn't think it fit her, and the hubby likes anime, so he picked her name.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of all the 9 cats that I have had over time, only 2 had a name change since they were the only two that came from a shelter. All the others (no offense)were either strays or came to use with a name that fit.

Sphinx (Rainbow Bridge cat) - Russian Blue mix - was named Colby (and a number but I forgot what is was). Although the name somewhat fit his color but it didn't fir his personality and the air of regalness - hence Sphinx.

Kuce (Rainbow Bridge cat) - Turkish Van pattern - was named Polly (and also a number as she was adopted along with Sphinx). Name didn't fit her in the least as she was quiet yet stubborn, leary of strangers but loyal. FOund her name online search for names for quiet pets. Means "Quiet One" in a dialect of an African language.