Did we do the right thing?

blessedvegan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tonight we had to make a hard and quick decision. There is a group of ferals living near our property that our neighbors feed but give no other care whatsoever, and none have been neutered. So you can see where this has led..lots of cats, and several seem sick. We previously had taken in a kitten from this group only to put it down b/c it had feline leukemia. This kitten was a particular odd grey/brown color, very distinct. There is an adult cat of the same coloration that we haven't been able to capture, but it is pretty sickly looking, so I'm assuming it has feline leukemia as well.

So anyway, tonight a cat wandered up to our house, with the same odd grey/brown coloring (not the same adult we'd seen before). It was the most horribly sick looking cat I have ever seen. It had NO Fat on it at all. It didn't have round tummy cats had, it didn't' even have extra tissue on it's body at all. I had a cat die of renal failure, and this cat looked far worse than my cat did when she died. It was walking very slow and you could get very close to it, which is odd since the ferals are scared of people. One eye was completly closed, the other weeping pus. It's fur was matted, it had dried feces on it's fur. It was so thin you could see the bones of it's pelvis. It was completly missing fur on a third of it's tail. It was covered in flies, which I have only seen in dying animals.

We agreed the cat had to be put down, but it is the weekend in a small town, no vets are open. We felt as though if we were able to trap it, it would have to live in the trap all weekend until MOnday, to take it to be put down. We felt it would simply be in fear and pain until it was put down by a vet, if it did not die before. My husband shot the cat. My husband is an excellent shot, and the cat never felt a thing. The cat never had a moment of fear. I 100% agreed with him shooting it, but couldn't do it myself. BTW, when I picked up the cat afterwards, I'd say he only weighed a couple pounds. He was light as a feather

So, I feel like we made the best decision, and put the animal out of it's misery. We both love cats, but could see no way this animal would ever survive. Do you guys think we did the right thing? Have you guys seen a cat in such awful condition that lived? Please be honest, for if we ever see another cat like that again, I need to know if they have a chance.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot tell you if you were right or wrong, but I believe that ending the suffering of a dying and hurting animal as quick and as painless as possible is the right thing to do.
I live in the Philippines which does not have many animal shelters, animal welfare groups, or animal emergency hospitals. Even the latest medicines and facilities are non-existent as far as I know. Cats and dogs looking worse than what you described are common sights in the streets. A few people like myself have picked up these animals trying to save them but to tell you the truth, the sick ones die before they see a vet. It's like I am always too late to help. I understand how you must have felt. If I had been in your shoes, I would have done the same thing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, yes, it was a correct decision. No doubt at all.

The only alternative was if you were really determinated to try to save this cat. Taking care, paying the vet etc... A very sick feral seeking help, usually gets entirely tame as a result if he gots through.

But if you dont have the resources, possibilites or will - putting it down is the only decent left to do, yes.

You are troubled you did it yourself, not a vet.
Why, a good shooting IS a good alternative of pts. Especielly in these circumstances you do describe. Be happy you werent forced to use a hammer... Not nice, but what to do in dire need??

But it would be touchy if you drowned this cat - as is the standard killing methode in some countries...

So. A careful, good shooting by an experienced shooter is always suitable in such cases. And Im not talking about the costs.
Tip: the shooter must be prepared to immediately shoot again, if necessary.

Tx a lot for caring!

Ps. And please, try to think out something for spaying this colony.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blessedvegan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately we do not have the money to save a cat in such dire circumstances. We have several of our own animals, and of course have to save such funds for them.

My husband is a professionally trained shooter (ex cop) so yes, he would have shot again if needed. He feels terrible about having to do it, but knows it had to be done.

Yes I've emailed a couple feral rescue groups, trying to see who can help.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You absolutely did the right thing.

That cat somehow knew that you would save him, since he came to you. And you and your husband stood up to the task at hand and did what he asked. Believe me, there was a higher power than your husband pulling that trigger.

Bless you for caring and putting that poor boy out of his misery. He's at the Rainbow Bridge now, waiting for you.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Otto said, someone led that cat to the people who could help it, even though this was so hard for you. That you're asking the question shows that you were the right people at the right time. Bless you and your husband for caring, and for ending that poor kitty's pain as painlessly and quickly as possible.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you did the right thing. I know it was a difficult decision, we had to do the same thing with an injured rescue a few years ago. The poor sick creature was in pain, and your husband put him out if it quickly and mercifully. How could that be wrong?

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At times like this, it was surely the humane thing to do; it would have been crueler to let the poor thing suffer :-/. I realize its hard, but just think that he's in a better place.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely, you did the right thing. That poor cat. By the way you described its looks, nobody could doubt how sick it was. Sometimes you just gotta do what you can and you and your husband did that. That cat has apparently been suffering a long time and not is not suffering anymore. Thanks to your husband. I am glad he was able to do what he did for this cat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a hard decision to make, but I agree - you did the right thing given the circumstances.

Have you gotten the Alley Cat Allies "Feral Friends" network sheet for your area? Have you looked into the Best Friends No More Homeless Pets Network to see if there's anyone in the network in your area?

I've got super slow internet right at the moment or I'd post the links, but if you need them, my Internet isn't always this slow..... the main web pages are

http://www.alleycat.org
http://www.bestfriends.org

If you need help searching, please let me/us know.