Did my cat suffer during his euthanasia?

cashforever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 17 year old cat had to be rushed to the vet for an emergency euthanasia last week. And it went terribly and I'm a bit traumatised by what happened. Everything was fine, the doctor came in to inject him with a sedative, and he was fine. But a minute later, they took him to the back to put in the catheter. I asked if that was necessary, but they insisted. They also assured me they'd bring him back to put in the final injection. Maybe two minutes later I heard my cat yowl and hiss like never before. He never hissed more than one or two times his entire life. A minute later the doctor brings him in and he's gasping or having a fit, his eyes are dilated and his tongue is sticking out and his whole body is jerking, even his tail was bushed out like he was frightened. Then the doctor administered the final dose. And he struggled to close his eyes for like 2 minutes. I was just stunned. I couldn't get over how awful he looked when they brought him back to the room. The doctor assured me he was reacting the anesthetic, and that it was just a physical reaction, that he didn't feel any pain. But it kills me to remember that day and that he might have suffered when they took him to the back. That he might have been scared in his final moments.

Does that cat feel pain when they insert the catheter? Was this really just a physical reaction to the anesthetic?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats die at home have a mini post mortem seizure but nothing like you describe.

The animals I've had euthanized basically just lost consciousness and turned stiff. The way it works is by stopping the heart. Tranquilizer knocks them out and the blue euthanasia drug stops the heart.

Any particular reason for the catheter? I've never heard of using a catheter for routine euthanasia. It's usually just a tranquilizer followed by pentobarbital.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you probably are upset I know how hard losing a pet is. I have never heard of a catheter being used in euthanasia or even being necessary for it.

Catheters are used to collect urine from people or animals that can't urinate on their own so I see no reason to use one for euthanasia. Would case unnecessary discomfort for the animal. A towel is a much better way to collect fluids from the deceased.

Did they need his urine for a postmortem? I can think of no other logical reason for the catheter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cashforever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, sorry a bit of a misunderstanding. I meant a catheter in the front leg, to administer the injection. It wasn't attached to an IV just the plastic thing where they insert the needle. I think they use it in case the medicine drips which can cause burns.

The sedation was just injected directly near his belly.

I think he was scared or hurt when they attached the catheter to his leg. That's the only thing I can imagine. And then he was out the next minute. Still hate the thought that the last thing he saw experienced was pain or fear. God the guilt is killing me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have, for various reasons, seen a good many animals euthanized. It is very unusual for this to happen, but it can. They react oddly to the medication. While I cannot tell you for certain that he knew nothing, that is the general consensus, and I've seen a few things that make me think this might be true. Regardless, YOU have no reason for guilt. You did the absolute best that you knew for your cat. He knows that now, if he did not then. And his love will be with you forever.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an RN and the IV parts you are talking about are all part of the same. The catheter is the actual part (tube) that inserts into a vein and is what is used to administer the medication, the whole assembly is called the cannula. Any small tube inserted into a vein, urethra, etc., is called a catheter. I have seen IVs inserted into animals readied for euthanasia many times, it is done to have quick access if more medication is needed, especially for a struggling, dying animal. The veins are the most direct route to the heart and an IV assures this will be the quickest way, veins can be easily missed when injecting medication. The vet I am using now does not use this method, he directly injects the medication into a leg vein, but many do, usually assuring the quickest, most humane way.
You stated yourself your precious boy had already received a sedative, which works quickly. His body was already being overcome by that sedative and he was experiencing INVOLUNTARY reactions to the sedative and the process of dying. My last elderly cat died in the exact same way you described, and he died at home in my arms. He too, cried out and hissed, and became very stiff. I believe he too, was beyond actually comprehending how he was reacting, and it was completely involuntary. Your sweet little one had a sedative already coursing through him and was experiencing the process of the last stage of dying. I'm so sorry you had to witness this, that it had to go this way, but every living creature fights against leaving this world, with every last ounce of energy. People in the last stages, when still coherent, have told me they feel no pain, that they feel they are 'floating', disconnected. I am sure what your sweet little one went through was the process of dying, not what was happening to him at the time. Sometimes death happens quickly and quietly, Sometimes it is a fight.
This was very traumatic. I know for a fact your precious boy would have never wanted you to go through this or feel this way. I pray that in time you can concentrate on your beautiful memories of him and the years of love he gave you, and not that end. But I know you will always remember it and dwell on it, just as we all do with those we love. Time is the only thing that will help. Eventually you will sort it out, time will soften the rough edges of grief. But we all tend to focus on the negative at the beginning in all things we peceive as bad. Grief has definite stages that everyone must go through. Sometimes each step is gone through many times and comes up again and again. This will leave a mark in your life, but i pray you can find comfort eventually from those who love you and surround you, and know your boy is at peace now and will always carry your love in his soul. That bond of love can NEVER be taken from you, he will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. You always wanted the best for him and that is why something like this hurts so bad and for so long. In times like this, I always think of the quote "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened". He shared your life's journey for a long time, he gave you the best of his love. Now send him your own and thank him for showing you what love is. he will always be connected to your very soul.
My heart breaks for what you are going through, I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and know we are here if you need us. RIP sweet boy. You will always be remembered, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

cashforever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much di and bob di and bob I can't even begin to express the relief and warmth that washed over me as I read your reply. Thank you for taking the time to explain the technical medical details. And your description into the process was very insightful. I feel so much better now that I understand what was happening. I hope in time I'll be able to remember the happy times we shared and not the end. That time will soften the edges, as you say. I wanted so much more for him and I can't help but feel I failed in that sense. You're right about how I will always carry him in my heart. Until I see him in the next life.

Sending you a big hug. Your warmth and kindness is healing and soothing. Thank you!

Thank you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 for your support and and kindness. He's with me forever. Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want you to know something else that happens at the end of life. The body goes through many involuntary things. The tightening of the hair follicles can definitely cause the hair to raise and the tail to bush. It causes goose bumps in humans. I truly don't believe your little one was so frightened, more he was fighting against the dying process. Your love was right there with him. He felt that love and was comforted by it...

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I didn't read the replies. I wanted to respond quickly to you.

This is a tragedy that is best not thought about again. Sometimes the best thing is to block it out of your head for a while. There is nothing that you can do to change the past. There is no benefit from having this as your last memory of your cat.

I am so sorry this happened.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try not to feel guilty. You had the best of intentions.
The discomfort of his final moments was greatly outweighed by the many years of love that he experienced with you. Pain is transitory, but love stays with us forever, and that's what he took with him when he passed : your love.

I truly believe a cat's mind is goes much deeper than most people think, and I know that through his discomfort, deep down, he never forgot that you loved him.

I wish you the best.

cashforever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
di and bob di and bob Interesting point about the body doing involuntary things when it's dying.If he hadn't hissed right before, I would've thought it was involuntary. But like you said, maybe it was one last fight. He didn't want to go quietly. Which, come to think of it, sounds about right. He was brave and strong, that one. I felt relieved when you mentioned your cat had passed in a similar way. I almost wish I had waited a little longer, and maybe he would have passed at home. My mind plays tricks on me. Sometimes I doubt how much pain he was in, and if I had done enough for him. But there's nothing to be done in thinking that.

S silent meowlook Thank you for taking the time to reply. I know I wish I could just block it out. It seems to repeat endlessly in my head. I hope in time the edges will soften and I'll remember the many years we had together. Thanks again

Meekie Meekie God, I hope that is the case. It's a beautiful thought. I hope whatever discomfort was replaced with peace and love. Thank you for sharing that

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I had my horse euthanized it was traumatic and I still have problems with it. Horses are not euthanized like cats and dogs.

I loved my 26 year old mare beyond belief. I would sleep in the pasture with her when she was ill. Without going into great detail, the time had come and I had the vet out. With horses, you can’t hold them during the procedure. The vet gave the sedation and she knew what was up. She fought it and wouldn’t “go down”. All I was allowed to do was stand there. He gave the euthanasia and she fought that to with panic in her eyes, and all I could do was stand there. I think I checked out mentally because I couldn’t handle what was happening. I stood and watched while she fought to get to me and the vet pushed her back. Then she fell with an awful thud and she couldn’t move. Just panic in her eyes and deep breathing. He gave her another shot while I stood there saying “ it’s okay, she isn’t there anymore” but she was. I stood there and watched the blood coming from her neck where the needle went. Finally vet said I should go to her and I said whatever I thought someone should say. I watched her eyes frost over. I couldn’t watch when the truck came to hoist her up by the leg and load her.

I was constantly reliving the events over and over. She wasn’t even cold and I was giving away all her stuff. I was and still am broken. What I did was every time the images and feelings flooded me, which was constant, I forced myself to block it. Over and over I just blocked it all out. Maybe not the healthiest. Some things are to graphic and horrible to handle.

Can you volunteer at a cat rescue? It helps to help other animals in your grief. Nothing makes the pain go away, but you can help other animals while you learn how to live with the grief.

I hope this helps. You aren’t alone in your feelings. The guilt is horrible, I know. I am sorry.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You both have gone through more traumatic times than most people will ever see. I can relate to the horrible loop of tragedy that endlessly plays in your mind. it will never go away but becomes less frequent and manageable in time. My sweet boy who was the most gentle boy on earth died in my arms at home in a way that was horrible for such a sweet boy to go through. I knew he was at the end and I knew he wanted to die at home surrounded by familiar things. I had already had the vet on call to come to my home when the time came. Then when the time came, on Sunday and a holiday, and he was struggling so badly and crying and hissing, a truck hauling cattle was involved in a crash, overturned, and every vet in our small town was there to ease the suffering and to get help to those poor animals. this is why I always recommend for every cat parent that knows the end is near to get an injection or even an oral liquid that can be put into the mouth and absorbed (sublingal) to help ease their struggling and fight against the inevitable. I will forever regret that.....

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Everyone else offered much better replies than I ever could! I just wanted to comment and say how sorry I am that you went through that!

I know no matter what, your baby knew you were there and that you loved them!

cashforever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I had my horse euthanized it was traumatic and I still have problems with it. Horses are not euthanized like cats and dogs.

I loved my 26 year old mare beyond belief. I would sleep in the pasture with her when she was ill. Without going into great detail, the time had come and I had the vet out. With horses, you can’t hold them during the procedure. The vet gave the sedation and she knew what was up. She fought it and wouldn’t “go down”. All I was allowed to do was stand there. He gave the euthanasia and she fought that to with panic in her eyes, and all I could do was stand there. I think I checked out mentally because I couldn’t handle what was happening. I stood and watched while she fought to get to me and the vet pushed her back. Then she fell with an awful thud and she couldn’t move. Just panic in her eyes and deep breathing. He gave her another shot while I stood there saying “ it’s okay, she isn’t there anymore” but she was. I stood there and watched the blood coming from her neck where the needle went. Finally vet said I should go to her and I said whatever I thought someone should say. I watched her eyes frost over. I couldn’t watch when the truck came to hoist her up by the leg and load her.

I was constantly reliving the events over and over. She wasn’t even cold and I was giving away all her stuff. I was and still am broken. What I did was every time the images and feelings flooded me, which was constant, I forced myself to block it. Over and over I just blocked it all out. Maybe not the healthiest. Some things are to graphic and horrible to handle.

Can you volunteer at a cat rescue? It helps to help other animals in your grief. Nothing makes the pain go away, but you can help other animals while you learn how to live with the grief.

I hope this helps. You aren’t alone in your feelings. The guilt is horrible, I know. I am sorry.
Thank you for sharing this heartbreaking story. It must've been excrutiating to watch this happen from a distance, to not be able to comfort his fear while it was happening. I can only imagine. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I think blocking out these memories is the only way we can process it. To feel the loss without being traumatized by it all over again. Sometimes they come back on its own. Images flash through my head. But I try not to dwell on it.

I actually signed up to foster cats in the meantime. Not sure I could handle adopting again, but taking care of animals would help, like you said. I think it'll give me a place to put all these emotions.

Thank you for reaching out

cashforever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You both have gone through more traumatic times than most people will ever see. I can relate to the horrible loop of tragedy that endlessly plays in your mind. it will never go away but becomes less frequent and manageable in time. My sweet boy who was the most gentle boy on earth died in my arms at home in a way that was horrible for such a sweet boy to go through. I knew he was at the end and I knew he wanted to die at home surrounded by familiar things. I had already had the vet on call to come to my home when the time came. Then when the time came, on Sunday and a holiday, and he was struggling so badly and crying and hissing, a truck hauling cattle was involved in a crash, overturned, and every vet in our small town was there to ease the suffering and to get help to those poor animals. this is why I always recommend for every cat parent that knows the end is near to get an injection or even an oral liquid that can be put into the mouth and absorbed (sublingal) to help ease their struggling and fight against the inevitable. I will forever regret that.....
I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet boy. While it must have been horrible to watch, I'm sure he found comfort in being at home, in your arms. I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

I didn't know it was possible to obtain those drugs from vets - but I'll keep that in mind if the time comes again. That would certainly be the ideal way to handle this.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I almost wish I had waited a little longer,
I think many of us feel this way, wishing that nature would take its course. I mentioned this to the vet right after I had my 18-year-old cat euthanized this past December. The vet told me that could take a very long time and euthanasia is much more humane. I am sorry that your cat reacted the way he did. I haven't had it happen, but I know that it does happen.