Did my 1st TNR yesterday of 2 ferals

BC1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all - hope everyone is doing well.

I'll list my 2 questions here first for anyone who doesn't want to read my whole post.

1) Did you ever have a feral spray in your vehicle while transporting
2) did you ever get fleas in your own house (from your car - not from a recovery space) after transporting the ferals. I have a VERY irrational fear of flea infestation so I won't do recovery in my house) - see below for details. I know how to deal with fleas but just wondering if one takes precautions did you still end up bringing fleas into your house.

I live near a plaza with dumpsters so naturally we have ferals but just a small colony (about 7 at the moment). My neighbor had a rescue come in a few years and they did a TNR of about 10 cats Things were good for a while but during that TNR one cat got out of the trap. Well that one has now had at least 3 litters. She had 3 kittens about 10 weeks ago and where I was previously only feeding and providing winter shelter for them, I said that's enough - I need to get involved. Doing TNR by myself seemed very daunting at first. I did a LOT of research, certification class, bought all new TruCatch traps, supplies, etc. Momma was my first priority - she is not too shy and lets me get a foot or so away. I set up traps with doors locked in up position for the last 2 weeks and were walking right in to eat and even hang out in there sometimes LOL so I figured trap day would go ok. The rescue place I chose only takes 2 ferals at a time which was fine as I only have 6 to do. I ended up getting momma YAY!! and one of her offspring from last year. She did not calm down as much when I immediately covered her as I would have hoped and she completely tore up the paper in the cage so I knew she was going to be a handful. Brought her and other home and set up my warm dry shed as a recovery place for them. I went out this morning to release them and they had both pulled their covers off somehow (probably by clawing and pulling them through the holes in the traps). It was a disaster in there but luckily they are still friendly w/each other so when they saw each other they were probably ok with it but I learned a lesson there as it could have been much worse outcome. I'm sure she did some damage to herself with all the thrashing around during trapping and as I was getting to release her and whatever happened overnight in the shed.

I made some notes on what I think I did wrong for next time (recovery set up and some another minor thing I did that unnecessarily stressed momma out). I'm not going to beat myself up because it was all for her own good and needed to be done.

The reason I asked about fleas is that I have a VERY irrational fear of another flea infestation - took in my ex's cat after a house fire and didn't check for fleas so had my first flea experience ever and found out I react very badly to fleas (I had 68 huge inflamed bites) while nobody else in the house even noticed a thing on themselves. I know all about flea prevention, how to get of them etc. so I don't need any help with that but just wondering if anyone else brought fleas from transporting ferals (maybe they don't typically leave their host so I'm over worrying). I did spray my car and shed with Virbac Knockout (yes I know that stuff is toxic and not all natural but I couldn't take chances). I have one house cat (never goes out) and I do not do any flea prevention for her because I have had awful neurological experiences with what was supposed to be safer of the "toxic" flea prevention for a previous dog and cat so as much as i fear another infestation I will never subject my cat or future pets to those products.

Sorry for the long post. But thanks in advance!!

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

In my experience, I haven't had a feral spray in my vehicle during transport, but it's always a good idea to take precautions like using a carrier or a secure transport setup.

I completely understand your concern about fleas. It's great that you're taking precautions like spraying your car and shed. With these measures, the risk of bringing fleas into your house should be quite low. Just keep monitoring the situation, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Wishing you and your feral friends the best of luck!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Food grade dianatious earth in your recovery area can be helpful. So I think putting it around the rim of your shed would be helpful.

Taking off your outer layer of clothes and popping them in the dryer will help to prevent bringing fleas in on your clothes. I don't think it's necessary, but for your peace of mind why not?

Maybe it's been luck but my mum's cats almost always had fleas for years and she's brought travel bags to our home and not brought fleas. The trip takes about 6 or so hours.

Catnip also contains an oil that helps stave off fleas. The oil works best with crushed (or chewed in a cat's case) catnip and then rolling in it. You could put some on your clothes or even provide a bit of catnip to the ferals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BC1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both very much for the replies. Good to hear you haven't had any spray in your vehicle (I plan on trading my car in over the winter and I don't think it will be great to have that smell lingering around) Of course it's no guarantee the ones I'm transporting won't spray but it doesn't seem to be a common thing from what limited info I could find and savannahjansson's response . Also glad to hear that Alldara didn't seem to get fleas brought in travel bags.

I was shocked that my ex-husband didn't even realize his cat and dog had fleas and I think he also had them for a long time while I noticed about 2 days after I took his cat in after his house fire. I guess they bite most people but some people just don't get a skin reaction while others do which explains why I was riddled with 68 bites (yes, I counted them LOL) and my two young adult children didn't have a single visible bite. I was so freaked out when I was in my calm, sanctuary of a bedroom reading a book and saw one on my arm and the comforter - at that point I knew they were just everywhere. I was like a crazy person, I started throwing couch cushins out the front door, etc. it was probably very entertaining for the neighbors. I had an exterminator come in (lots of $$), I threw out lots of things, I was vacuuming every square inch of the house every day for weeks, tried other methods, etc. then I finally called my vet and she said - you didn't have to do any of that just buy a few cans of this (Knockout) and spray all around the house a few times and vacuum a few times. It worked like a charm after weeks of making myself crazy and getting bitten alive.

BC1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oops I cut off part of my response.
Alldara - thank you I will definitely try the DE in my shed recovery area and I didn't know about the flea repellent properties of catnip. I did take my clothes off inside the doorway when I got home from transporting and washed them right away - like you said - why not. I'm working on my excessive flea worrying but it's not going well : ) Thanks again.

BC1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay!!! I just now finally saw momma and her one offspring from last year.

I TNR'd them both on Thurs and let them go early Friday morning but it has been pouring rain since Thurs night so I haven't actually seen them. I was a little worried about momma since she was extremely upset during the entire trap/overnight in shed and release and really thrashed in the cage a LOT. My neighbor said she went back to her 10 wk old kittens a few hours after I released her (they are living under his back porch) and I wasn't able to see that after I released her so this is the first time I could see she was really OK and she came toward my yard for food. The other guy looks great too and came back to the trapping site just now for food. I'm so happy and relieved. It was worth all the work and money and now I know better how to handle the next 4 that I need to get TNR'd.

Also, my neighbor has been able to get closer to momma's 3 ten week old kittens in the last few days. He was able to pet one and one went into his house for a second. That is great because the place where I take them for their spay/neuter will assess if they seem adoptable and keep them if they feel they are. I'm not sure if they will take any of the 3 but that would be fantastic so I hope my neighbor is successful with his socializing work.

I'm really enjoying this forum and reading through prior posts. Thanks everyone.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat spray during TNR transport, but I keep the cage covered anyway, and put a puppy pee pad under the trap to contain any fear induced pee. Most of the cats I TNR I release after just a few hours or when they are more alert. The last three I did i kept covered in my garage overnight, they were awfully groggy. i have never gotten fleas from any of my ferals, but my vet treats all, no matter if he sees them or not, at the spaying. My inside/outside cats I had a few years ago brought fleas into teh house once, but I got a flea spray from Walmart washed and sprayed all bedding, all furniture and vacuumed well and saw them no more.
Bless you for taking this on! I remember how scared and anxious i was teh first few times, people here on this site helped me tremendously! The last farm cats i TNR'd i used the old bottle with a string method to prop the door open, to selectively catch which cats I wanted. The ones that I had previously trapped still walked right in to the traps.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The rescue transported most of the cats and kittens that we trapped, but we did take a couple ourselves. We use a large dog carrier, because our cats tend to end up on the big side. We put towels in the bottom to keep them comfortable and the cage clean. They haven't sprayed (possibly too afraid) and we have never had any issues with fleas.

Bless you for what you are doing. You're great!

BC1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again everyone. Glad to hear there doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for the 2 things I was worried about. The clinic I'm using only takes 2 at a time and I have 4 more so I'll be doing 2 more rounds in end of Oct and Nov. I'll have to figure out for the Nov one if my shed will be warm enough as a recovery place. I do have two heat lamps (the type they use for farm animals/chicks etc) in there that I use for them in the winter when it gets down to the single digits with their straw in box beds. With them being scared in traps I would be worried about the heat lamps if anything happened in the shed overnight (even though I have locks on front and back of the cages) so I would have to hang them much further up from the traps then I normally would (they are very secure by hanging from the ceiling and not any where near touching their winter beds so I am always thinking about safety). I wish I could find a spay/neuter clinic that can keep them overnight but I don't think there is one around and I can't keep them in my house or garage. Anyway, thanks again. Take care.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take care as well! We are around if you want just to chat about it again or need any support (even just emotional support).

You're doing great work!