Did I Make The Right Choice To Euthanize My Cat?

Lostwoods1004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Sorry for the super long post. I’m not sure if I posted this thread under the correct category, but I’m lookin for reassurance, or support, or maybe just some words from somebody who has gone through a similar event. I have been searching for pet loss support forums ever since putting my best friend down five days ago. Some of them help provide relief, but I still feel this tremendous guilt because most of the threads I come across are about cats who are in their teens, or have had a confirmed diagnoses.

I adopted my cat (a beautiful black Siamese) from the animal shelter in May 2008. She was only about two months old at the time. I had to haggle with the officer in charge because she was scheduled to be euthanized as she was feral. I was told feral cats were difficult to socialize, but the officer finally agreed to let me adopt her for $10.

Black (my cats name, very creative I know) became very socialized and loved everyone. She would greet my husband and I at the door, and wanted to snuggle with every visitor we had. I received compliments on her at every vet we visited and even friends who dislike cats. She slept by me, if not on top of me, every night. She was extremely loyal and always seemed to be there through the good and the bad. She would come sit directly next to me and purr whenever I was crying. Whether I was crying for sadness, gratefulness, or happiness, she would find me.

In March 2018 she started to vomit anytime she ate and her purr sounded wet and raspy. I brought her into the vet and she stayed the night for tests. The next day the vet said I could pick Black up at the close of business because she had improved and that all the tests and blood work came back fine. I picked her up as the vet ordered. Her purr was still wet and raspy, and she continued to vomit. Of course I called the vet back but they were closed, and I left a message that she was exactly the same as the previous day. I was able to bring her back the following day so the vet decided to do an ultrasound. She called me about an hour later and said there was a mass on Blacks liver so they wanted to do surgery to attempt to remove it and get a biopsy. Black ended up staying the night again, and the following day the vet who performed the surgery (who was not the same as the original dr) called and said good news was there actually was no mass on the liver. What they had seen in the ultrasound was severely inflamed intestines. The vet said he took a biopsy of the intestines and said he believed she had Lymphoma.

I picked Black up that evening and was instructed to feed her a diet of only meals that I cooked from then on. Black continued to vomit in the next couple of days. She would be able to keep chicken down for about two meals, and then she would become completely intolerant, so I would switch to beef, and so on.

About a week later the vet called and said the biopsy came back nagative for lymphoma, so he diagnosed Black with IBD. He prescribed an anti nausea med, and said to continue with the cooked meals and things should start improving.

Within 4 months my baby lost 4.5lbs and no longer passed stools. She was vomiting foam and would have labored breathing episodes. One was so bad that I ran to my husband in the garage and told him to take her in for euthanasia that moment because I could t bear to see her in the pain. I thought for sure she was going to suffocate that day, but she recovered within an hour.

I went to get a second opinion about Blacks symptoms a couple weeks ago from a different vet in town. She had no idea what was wrong with Black because again all the tests checked out clear. She did, however feel that Blacks lymphnodes in her neck were the size of ping pong balls. Something I had felt, but I thought was just her jaw bone seeing as how she had lost over half of her body weight. I should also mention that Blacks left eye swelled shut and oozed.

The new vet prescribed Black prednisone and an antibiotic. Two weeks later she showed no improvement. She continued to vomit foam and mucous and still had no stools in her litter box. She was very interested in eating but could not swallow the food because her throat was so swollen. She was able to walk around, and was still very social and sleeping on my bed. But the vet called and said that if there was no improvement from the meds then we were probably looking at lymphoma that had developed since the biopsy, or a different kind of cancer. She suggested euthanasia.

I opted for pain meds because I felt that Black seemed to be doing better emotionally, but physically hadn’t improved and I would get a third opinion. Two days after the vet called, my son went to pick up Black. I’m not sure what happened but she collapsed and could no longer walk that night. I made the decision that the following morning I would bring her in to cross the rainbow bridge. The whole night she slept by me just as she had done the last ten years. I spent most of the night awake, petting her and crying.

I felt evil bringing her in to the vet the next morning, especially because she was able to walk again, although it was with a limp. I was hoping that when I brought her in that the vet would suggest other options, but she didn’t. Black did not fall asleep with the sedative. We waited almost an hour and she just sat on the counter looking somewhat content, but also uncomfortable. Finally the vet put her on an IV with anesthesia, but Black was still partially awake. The vet had me hold her to make sure she wouldn’t jump away, and then put the final dose directly into the IV. I could feel Black go limp in my arms. It was the most painful thing I’ve ever had to do.

I never expected to feel this terrible after putting down a pet. I feel pain, like a deep, deep pain in my body. I cried so much that first day that my face was burning and raw. I sobbed like a child on the bathroom floor. First, I feel terrible because she was only 10. I always thought she would live until 18. She was strictly an indoor cat and always had been. Second, I feel terrible because we never got a confirmed diagnosis. I keep thinking that if I had just got one more opinion that maybe somebody could have figured out what was wrong with her and then we would know if euthanasia was the only option at that point.

When I look at photos of her over the years I can see her rapid decline. She no longer groomed herself. Her coat that was once shiny and soft had become greasy, flaky, and unkempt. She was also tiny. She weighed 12lbs last summer, and when she was put down last week she weighed 4.4lbs. When I look past my emotions and at the evidence through photos, I can see that she was in bad shape, and the only thing I wanted for her was to be out of pain. But I can’t shake this guilty feeling, like I took her life from her when she MIGHT have been able to make a full recovery. On top of that, the euthanasia was not a peaceful one for us. My husband and I couldnt stand to watch her sit on that counter for so long and keep getting poked with sedatives until she was administered the IV. That also tells me that she was fighting the meds, like she just wanted to go back home with us.

I find peace in knowing that she is no longer suffering. We buried her in our yard and I have a lace bark elm being delivered to us in a couple weeks to plant beside her. I miss my cat.

baxtersmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Black sounded like a wonderful, beautiful kitty. I've never seen a black Siamese, I bet she was gorgeous. It sounds like you did everything you possibly could to help her recover. The extreme weight loss, the unkempt coat, the trouble swallowing and the lack of bowel movements all sounds like something was terribly wrong. I'm sorry that the vets couldn't give you a definitive diagnosis to put your mind at ease. The fact that she was having trouble walking seems to me a sign that her body was shutting down. Cats are such very proud animals and when they quit grooming themselves that's a sign that something is very wrong. As much as it hurts and as guilty as you feel it seems to me that you did the right thing for Black. It sounds like she was declining rapidly. I know there's nothing I can say to make you feel better. Just that I'm so terribly sorry. I've lost 2 of my cats in the past 3 weeks so I understand completely the broken heart you're dealing with. Black sounds like she was loved deeply for the 10 years she was lucky enough to have you. Eventually the good memories will fill the spot that the deep grief now lives. :rbheart: In the meantime I'm sending you all the hugs and condolences I possibly can. :alright:

Hikoh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You tried harder then I ever would have to find someone who could fix her. The moment she started suffering, I would have ended it for her. You have nothing to feel guilty for, at all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I too have felt that physical deep pain over the euthanasia of our Maine coon baby.
In her case I watched a gradual, subtle decline,. and loss of strength over a year.
You gave a gift in that your baby is free of the struggle and pain now. I'm so sorry that this happened.
RIP sweetheart, you have your joy and grace back again.

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Deepest condolences on your loss. It sounds as if you fought desperately hard to save her and made the decision to end her suffering in order to help HER. I think if the vet felt there was a real chance of her recovering they would have urged you to wait longer. It is agonizing either way. If you had waited, she might have suffered more. You loved her, you fought to help her. I am sure she knew that.

I've lost two beloved cats in the past four years, both to lymphoma. Charcoal developed a very aggressive lymphoma and we discovered what was going on the night he died, in February 2014; I'd just thought he was losing weight due to chronic kidney disease, but he had intestinal lymphoma as well, as they discovered during emergency surgery. The vet said there was virtually no chance of him recovering from surgery to remove the cancer because it has spread so much, and I made the decision to have him euthanized (in a sense, circumstances made the decision for me; the vet was pretty clear that there was no way for him to recover). He was 13. His sister Dominique enjoyed being an only cat for a long time, and then began losing weight; developed hepatic lipidosis, which we ultimately discovered was a result of small-cell lymphoma. She was on a feeding tube all this summer and on chemo, with a possibility of recovering for a while. But the chemo didn't win out, and she died at home on August 3. She suffered a lot the last few hours; if I'd tried to get her to a vet's office that night she probably would have died on the way. So I made the decision just to stay at home with her. The last few hours were painful for her; maybe not putting her through the last two months of the feeding tube, the little jacket she had to wear, and that she hated, the multiple trips to the vet, the two seizures she had... maybe it would have been better not to put her through that. There is no way to know. I think you make the best decision FOR YOUR LITTLE LOVED ONE at each moment. It may not be the right decision in hindsight, but at that moment you are doing what will help most, as far as you can tell. That, plus infinite love, is all you can do. Just know that you're not alone in your grief.

Attachments

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your losses too, baxtersmom baxtersmom

I'm so sorry for your loss. Black sounded like a wonderful, beautiful kitty. I've never seen a black Siamese, I bet she was gorgeous. It sounds like you did everything you possibly could to help her recover. The extreme weight loss, the unkempt coat, the trouble swallowing and the lack of bowel movements all sounds like something was terribly wrong. I'm sorry that the vets couldn't give you a definitive diagnosis to put your mind at ease. The fact that she was having trouble walking seems to me a sign that her body was shutting down. Cats are such very proud animals and when they quit grooming themselves that's a sign that something is very wrong. As much as it hurts and as guilty as you feel it seems to me that you did the right thing for Black. It sounds like she was declining rapidly. I know there's nothing I can say to make you feel better. Just that I'm so terribly sorry. I've lost 2 of my cats in the past 3 weeks so I understand completely the broken heart you're dealing with. Black sounds like she was loved deeply for the 10 years she was lucky enough to have you. Eventually the good memories will fill the spot that the deep grief now lives. :rbheart: In the meantime I'm sending you all the hugs and condolences I possibly can. :alright:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you feel a sense of loss and guilt, it is grief from a broken heart. Even with a diagnosis you would have felt them anyway, they come with a broken heart. You HAVE to know deep inside that even with all those tests and vet visits, SOMETHING was terribly wrong. There are so many terrible things in this world that can take a life, and many of them cannot be diagnosed without exhaustive tests and uncountable vet visits. There comes a time when no matter how much you want a diagnosis or some kind of truth, it changes nothing, the end result is still the same. No matter what it is, it will still take the one you love so much.
The weight loss, the inability to walk, the loss of strength, the loss of interest in living.... all indicate existing, not living. Cats and every living thing fight hard against leaving this world. But there does come a time when the pain and exhaustion just make it impossible to go on, I truly think your precious little one was at that point. Somehow, you found the strength through your love to end that pain, and now you go through pain yourself, you took on her pain as your own, you gave her the peace she so badly needed.
She shared your life's journey for ten years, ten precious years of love and happiness. She brought so much to your life, consider never having known that love at all, what a loss that would have been! Now the grief, and all the should haves, could haves that come with it, are robbing you of the joy of her relationship with you. Her death was so traumatic, so all consuming it is making her death more important than her life. Don't let it do it. Then death wins and we don't ever want that to be so. "Death cannot take that which never dies", that is your love for her, what you two shared together, what she brought to your life. Concentrate on that, let your precious memories of the last ten years bring you comfort, not on the last horrible months that brought so much fear and pain.
If you were the one to first go, how would you want her to continue on? I know the answer because love always wants the same, for our loved one to go on into the future and find happiness and love once more, for them to celebrate having known and shared our love, to pass forward their legacy they left us. She wants no less for the one she gave her heart to. So send her thoughts of peace, of love. She is as near as your thoughts and prayers. The bond you have with her is a part of you now, a past of your very soul. Love is spiritual, so not bound by the laws of physical nature. The 'essence' that makes up Black will always be here. How can something so strong possibly be gone when it is eternal? Send her thoughts of joy, so her legacy can grow and bloom, don't hide it under the darkness of tears and grief.
My heart goes out to you. My own little one, my soulmate. died at the age of ten too. i know how much this hurts how much you would give anything to change what happened. Time is the only thing that helps. It helps to soothe your soul, to soften the sharp edges. But time can take so long......Take care, we are here if you need a shoulder......RIP precious Black. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the light from the new star in the summer sky that is you shine down on the one who loves you so much, may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lump in my throat and tears forming in my eyes after reading your love story....I completely understand how you feel and what you are going through, it is one of the toughest things that you will ever have to do in your life to "play God", but she was not enjoying her life anymore and I'll bet if you could talk to her now she would thank you for helping her shed her pain riddled body, but she is fine now, just fine, and it is the grief that has a stranglehold on you now and it will play mental and physical games for awhile, then will slowly with much time lose it's sting. I have found the herb Holy Basil helps you deal with the stress and there are no side effects, it just helps you adapt to the stress and deal with it with a calm mind.

You did everything right, have no regrets and neither does she, it was a wonderful thing that you saved her all those years ago, please remember that she would have been put down if not for you YEARS AGO so you gave her a GREAT life, but like all it must end someday although you wanted many more years as we all do, but she is an Angel now, her spirit is alive and well and when you see her again one day it will be tears of joy and love that you cry, not sadness like now.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless you......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Deepest condolences on your loss. It sounds as if you fought desperately hard to save her and made the decision to end her suffering in order to help HER. I think if the vet felt there was a real chance of her recovering they would have urged you to wait longer. It is agonizing either way. If you had waited, she might have suffered more. You loved her, you fought to help her. I am sure she knew that.

I've lost two beloved cats in the past four years, both to lymphoma. Charcoal developed a very aggressive lymphoma and we discovered what was going on the night he died, in February 2014; I'd just thought he was losing weight due to chronic kidney disease, but he had intestinal lymphoma as well, as they discovered during emergency surgery. The vet said there was virtually no chance of him recovering from surgery to remove the cancer because it has spread so much, and I made the decision to have him euthanized (in a sense, circumstances made the decision for me; the vet was pretty clear that there was no way for him to recover). He was 13. His sister Dominique enjoyed being an only cat for a long time, and then began losing weight; developed hepatic lipidosis, which we ultimately discovered was a result of small-cell lymphoma. She was on a feeding tube all this summer and on chemo, with a possibility of recovering for a while. But the chemo didn't win out, and she died at home on August 3. She suffered a lot the last few hours; if I'd tried to get her to a vet's office that night she probably would have died on the way. So I made the decision just to stay at home with her. The last few hours were painful for her; maybe not putting her through the last two months of the feeding tube, the little jacket she had to wear, and that she hated, the multiple trips to the vet, the two seizures she had... maybe it would have been better not to put her through that. There is no way to know. I think you make the best decision FOR YOUR LITTLE LOVED ONE at each moment. It may not be the right decision in hindsight, but at that moment you are doing what will help most, as far as you can tell. That, plus infinite love, is all you can do. Just know that you're not alone in your grief.
Oh my gosh, the picture of your cats, especially the one on the left with the bushy tail look exactly like Sebastian who passed a few years ago, so gorgeous! If you cross him with a black/white tuxedo (Simon who passed in 2014) you get my boy Sylvester who is pictured in the avatar!!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lostwoods1004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course you feel a sense of loss and guilt, it is grief from a broken heart. Even with a diagnosis you would have felt them anyway, they come with a broken heart. You HAVE to know deep inside that even with all those tests and vet visits, SOMETHING was terribly wrong. There are so many terrible things in this world that can take a life, and many of them cannot be diagnosed without exhaustive tests and uncountable vet visits. There comes a time when no matter how much you want a diagnosis or some kind of truth, it changes nothing, the end result is still the same. No matter what it is, it will still take the one you love so much.
The weight loss, the inability to walk, the loss of strength, the loss of interest in living.... all indicate existing, not living. Cats and every living thing fight hard against leaving this world. But there does come a time when the pain and exhaustion just make it impossible to go on, I truly think your precious little one was at that point. Somehow, you found the strength through your love to end that pain, and now you go through pain yourself, you took on her pain as your own, you gave her the peace she so badly needed.
She shared your life's journey for ten years, ten precious years of love and happiness. She brought so much to your life, consider never having known that love at all, what a loss that would have been! Now the grief, and all the should haves, could haves that come with it, are robbing you of the joy of her relationship with you. Her death was so traumatic, so all consuming it is making her death more important than her life. Don't let it do it. Then death wins and we don't ever want that to be so. "Death cannot take that which never dies", that is your love for her, what you two shared together, what she brought to your life. Concentrate on that, let your precious memories of the last ten years bring you comfort, not on the last horrible months that brought so much fear and pain.
If you were the one to first go, how would you want her to continue on? I know the answer because love always wants the same, for our loved one to go on into the future and find happiness and love once more, for them to celebrate having known and shared our love, to pass forward their legacy they left us. She wants no less for the one she gave her heart to. So send her thoughts of peace, of love. She is as near as your thoughts and prayers. The bond you have with her is a part of you now, a past of your very soul. Love is spiritual, so not bound by the laws of physical nature. The 'essence' that makes up Black will always be here. How can something so strong possibly be gone when it is eternal? Send her thoughts of joy, so her legacy can grow and bloom, don't hide it under the darkness of tears and grief.
My heart goes out to you. My own little one, my soulmate. died at the age of ten too. i know how much this hurts how much you would give anything to change what happened. Time is the only thing that helps. It helps to soothe your soul, to soften the sharp edges. But time can take so long......Take care, we are here if you need a shoulder......RIP precious Black. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the light from the new star in the summer sky that is you shine down on the one who loves you so much, may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Hi everyone. Sorry for the super long post. I’m not sure if I posted this thread under the correct category, but I’m lookin for reassurance, or support, or maybe just some words from somebody who has gone through a similar event. I have been searching for pet loss support forums ever since putting my best friend down five days ago. Some of them help provide relief, but I still feel this tremendous guilt because most of the threads I come across are about cats who are in their teens, or have had a confirmed diagnoses.

I adopted my cat (a beautiful black Siamese) from the animal shelter in May 2008. She was only about two months old at the time. I had to haggle with the officer in charge because she was scheduled to be euthanized as she was feral. I was told feral cats were difficult to socialize, but the officer finally agreed to let me adopt her for $10.

Black (my cats name, very creative I know) became very socialized and loved everyone. She would greet my husband and I at the door, and wanted to snuggle with every visitor we had. I received compliments on her at every vet we visited and even friends who dislike cats. She slept by me, if not on top of me, every night. She was extremely loyal and always seemed to be there through the good and the bad. She would come sit directly next to me and purr whenever I was crying. Whether I was crying for sadness, gratefulness, or happiness, she would find me.

In March 2018 she started to vomit anytime she ate and her purr sounded wet and raspy. I brought her into the vet and she stayed the night for tests. The next day the vet said I could pick Black up at the close of business because she had improved and that all the tests and blood work came back fine. I picked her up as the vet ordered. Her purr was still wet and raspy, and she continued to vomit. Of course I called the vet back but they were closed, and I left a message that she was exactly the same as the previous day. I was able to bring her back the following day so the vet decided to do an ultrasound. She called me about an hour later and said there was a mass on Blacks liver so they wanted to do surgery to attempt to remove it and get a biopsy. Black ended up staying the night again, and the following day the vet who performed the surgery (who was not the same as the original dr) called and said good news was there actually was no mass on the liver. What they had seen in the ultrasound was severely inflamed intestines. The vet said he took a biopsy of the intestines and said he believed she had Lymphoma.

I picked Black up that evening and was instructed to feed her a diet of only meals that I cooked from then on. Black continued to vomit in the next couple of days. She would be able to keep chicken down for about two meals, and then she would become completely intolerant, so I would switch to beef, and so on.

About a week later the vet called and said the biopsy came back nagative for lymphoma, so he diagnosed Black with IBD. He prescribed an anti nausea med, and said to continue with the cooked meals and things should start improving.

Within 4 months my baby lost 4.5lbs and no longer passed stools. She was vomiting foam and would have labored breathing episodes. One was so bad that I ran to my husband in the garage and told him to take her in for euthanasia that moment because I could t bear to see her in the pain. I thought for sure she was going to suffocate that day, but she recovered within an hour.

I went to get a second opinion about Blacks symptoms a couple weeks ago from a different vet in town. She had no idea what was wrong with Black because again all the tests checked out clear. She did, however feel that Blacks lymphnodes in her neck were the size of ping pong balls. Something I had felt, but I thought was just her jaw bone seeing as how she had lost over half of her body weight. I should also mention that Blacks left eye swelled shut and oozed.

The new vet prescribed Black prednisone and an antibiotic. Two weeks later she showed no improvement. She continued to vomit foam and mucous and still had no stools in her litter box. She was very interested in eating but could not swallow the food because her throat was so swollen. She was able to walk around, and was still very social and sleeping on my bed. But the vet called and said that if there was no improvement from the meds then we were probably looking at lymphoma that had developed since the biopsy, or a different kind of cancer. She suggested euthanasia.

I opted for pain meds because I felt that Black seemed to be doing better emotionally, but physically hadn’t improved and I would get a third opinion. Two days after the vet called, my son went to pick up Black. I’m not sure what happened but she collapsed and could no longer walk that night. I made the decision that the following morning I would bring her in to cross the rainbow bridge. The whole night she slept by me just as she had done the last ten years. I spent most of the night awake, petting her and crying.

I felt evil bringing her in to the vet the next morning, especially because she was able to walk again, although it was with a limp. I was hoping that when I brought her in that the vet would suggest other options, but she didn’t. Black did not fall asleep with the sedative. We waited almost an hour and she just sat on the counter looking somewhat content, but also uncomfortable. Finally the vet put her on an IV with anesthesia, but Black was still partially awake. The vet had me hold her to make sure she wouldn’t jump away, and then put the final dose directly into the IV. I could feel Black go limp in my arms. It was the most painful thing I’ve ever had to do.

I never expected to feel this terrible after putting down a pet. I feel pain, like a deep, deep pain in my body. I cried so much that first day that my face was burning and raw. I sobbed like a child on the bathroom floor. First, I feel terrible because she was only 10. I always thought she would live until 18. She was strictly an indoor cat and always had been. Second, I feel terrible because we never got a confirmed diagnosis. I keep thinking that if I had just got one more opinion that maybe somebody could have figured out what was wrong with her and then we would know if euthanasia was the only option at that point.

When I look at photos of her over the years I can see her rapid decline. She no longer groomed herself. Her coat that was once shiny and soft had become greasy, flaky, and unkempt. She was also tiny. She weighed 12lbs last summer, and when she was put down last week she weighed 4.4lbs. When I look past my emotions and at the evidence through photos, I can see that she was in bad shape, and the only thing I wanted for her was to be out of pain. But I can’t shake this guilty feeling, like I took her life from her when she MIGHT have been able to make a full recovery. On top of that, the euthanasia was not a peaceful one for us. My husband and I couldnt stand to watch her sit on that counter for so long and keep getting poked with sedatives until she was administered the IV. That also tells me that she was fighting the meds, like she just wanted to go back home with us.

I find peace in knowing that she is no longer suffering. We buried her in our yard and I have a lace bark elm being delivered to us in a couple weeks to plant beside her. I miss my cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lostwoods1004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to each and everyone of you who have taken the time to read and reply. I haven’t thought about the fact that if the diagnosis did come to be a terminal illness that I would still feel this tremendous pain and guilt. Black was loved by all, and I will focus on the good memories with her.

My husband adopted a new kitten from the shelter. We don’t know her breed, but she is also black. Not a deep black like Black was, but a lighter black with the faintest gray stripes and orange eyes. She is already sweet and loved by all of us in the family, even our dog who is also mourning the loss of her kitty sister. I think Black would be ok with our new kitten, whom we named Mochi (like the Japanese dessert). Black mothered three kittens that weren’t her own, and I think Black would care for this little one as well.

I can only hope to help and be a support to the many others who will come to this site looking for relief or any other information about the precious fur babies.

Gods Blessings

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Black, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Darlin, you didn't make the right choice, you made the only choice. You helped your baby girl leave a life that was only a misery and a torment. What greater act of love is there in this world, or so fraught with pain, questioning and despair? We can never know "what if," only "what was," and with what was, your decision was exactly right.

Love never dies, you know. It only changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides, and Black is with you still, close, loving, and grinning a kittygrin at your new baby girl.

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was sort of in the same situation with baby we got her her when one one of our resident died my family owns a retirement home and baby was a cat owned by one of our resident when the resident died the the resident family couildnt find a home for baby they were going to have her put down and barry her with mom we went ahead and kept her as our pet she was 12 yrs old so we had this angel for five more yrs then December 2016 she suddenly cleaning herself the next month we found out she had chf which kept her alive for 2 more months we finally had to her put down in march of last yr all the residents and staff were able to touch her as they all said good bye even though its been a yr I miss her so much I have a new cat we ve had tassee for a yr now she looks so much like baby but tatolly difeeent behaviers baby never bit or scratched or never got into trouble she never played with toys with tassee she is a trouble maker and she does bite and scratch and she loves to play so we had an angel now we have to train an angel

TheresaB96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have prayed for a sign from God since 17 August,. that would ease my heart about saying Goodbye to my Midi, who was Euthanized on that Friday (8/17/18). 16 years old, frail, cataracts in both eyes, she had begun to lose bowel function . I HAD to allow my girl to make an exit with some amount of her dignity remaining. Yes, guilt is BIG, after this happens . I'm not sure why, but we question ourselves. I have, for sure. I knew the day was coming. But, was I ready? Nope . I left tears on the exam table . I haven't shared the photo Mom took of us that day, but while she was sedated, I got right down on her level, and I said my Goodbye. Most painful part of 16 years with her, was letting go . I still miss my girl---but, I believe she's laying at the Lord's feet, basking in His Radiance. Just soaking up that warmth. I'm sure Black is, too!♥

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I begin by stating words that I do not usually say. Never trust in tests alone! they are literally hundred causes for which test may not be accurate. Tests and investigations shall go with the clinical investigation and all shall go with a very careful interview.

OK, that is life.

You said "only 10". But a 10 years old cat is biologically old. Human keep cats up to 20 years old, that is true. But this only mean that we keep old cats alive. It sound harsh, but again - that is life. A 10 years old cat is not an young cat and chances are that many diseases are already in. We cant see, because cats are good in hiding. I saw 20 years old cats - it is a very mixed feeling.

Pure breads may also carry damaged genome, which ads up to the health risk and can increase pain of various origin.

That is for scientific side - I dare to say you did the right thing. In fact, Mother Nature decided using your hand. In the wild, perhaps a 5 years life would be a rare maximum.

+++

And for a cat in pain - yours suffered for some 4 weeks. Multiply by 5 (to get the human life scale) = 20 week = roughly 7 months of pain. Imagine you get a continuous pain for 7 months. Now get a tissue and put in your mouth, not to scream. Try to eat and not vomit every single day. Try to get out and your legs cant help you. Try to wet you mouth, without much success. An after these 7 months tell me whether you still want to survive.

Do you ever cut your fingers by a kitchen knife? Multiply that pain by 100 and keep it for 7 months with you, feeling that after firs 5 days no painkiller can help. And imagine you cant say anything, you cant speak.

When my time will come, I would be very happy for someone to put me down. But this is unlikely to happen, because friends to help in this way are rare.

You were a very good friend of your Cat!

Head bow here.