Did I make a mistake by allowing Adequan?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sugarwookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Sugar Cookie. How is Sadie? I hope alright.
I just signed up to the forum.
My Callie is 19 yrs old. She had signs of very severe arthritis and of 2017 last year.
We started using gabapentin for pain and a round of Adequan over a 5 month period, frequent dosage then once a month. Didn't seem to be helping much. My doctor prescribed Galiprant which was just approved last year and has won awards as a top arthritis drug for canines. We decided let's try it. My cat has been doing very well on this new drug. In fact without it she would not be around. Her back legs would give in and she couldn't walk and couldn't get to her food and water all day. She is now able to walk sprint from the litter box time to time and enjoying our life together.
I also bought a ceramic water fountain for her to drink standing so it's easier for her. She loves it. I also elevate her food. I give her delectable with hit water not tap and make it into a brothier stew.
She gets twice a day along with dry.
She has been doing amazing for her age. We both had our bloodwork panels checked last week and all of her blood work is normal. She had one kidney test where hee number is just below the concern signs 1-13 being normal and 14 being the start of a decline but she has been on galiprant now for a year and I rarely give adaquen any longer.
Elevating the food and the water fountain is a huge advantage in going her stay hydrated.
Also she has platforms of different levels to graduate up to the bed where she sleeps most of the day while I'm at work. I also have the laptop going 24/7 relaxing jazz station called big jazz 24/7. It's like elevator music but is tranquil. She really gets the music and goes to the laptop every morning. She knows and a part of her routine.

I would recommend looking into Galiprant. I believe I read it was developed in Japan.

sugarwookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Ash,

Thank you so much for sharing the info and all the tips! I actually use an elevated bowl and I think it helps some. I also need to get back to music for her while I'm gone. I'm a fireman and every 3rd day in gone for 24 hours. I Hate leaving her at her age.

I think the Adequan probably wouldn't work for her being her shoulder is bone on bone. I will look into the new drug you mentioned and see what I can dig up. How do you give it to her?

She's getting close to kidney problems now. The Vet said her numbers were just creeping to that point and prescribed the script food which I'm reluctant to try knowing it's a lesser quality food .

I'm seeing her drink more water these days so I may have to cave and give it a try.

Please keep me posted on your kitty. I'm so happy you see some improvement! I can tell you love her as much as I do mine and I hope you have several more years with her! FB me if you like David Baity

sugarwookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Sweet Gum takes dasuquin. She has arthritis on her spine, which she was either born with or developed before she was one. Once she started the dasuquin, she straightened her back and did the U stretch for the first time. We hadn't realized she wasn't stretching out completely. It also improved her temper a lot.

dasuquin is similar to cosuquin and is over the counter.
I've been giving that to Sadie along with Duralactin for years. I think it helps, but the poor girl always has a limp. I wish I could take all her aches and pains on. She's such a sweet friend.

sugarwookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't know what happened to sugarwookie sugarwookie , but I'll post this anyway, since others are still reading this thread.

I am using Glyco Flex Plus for Feeby - primarily glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels (yeah, that's a real thing - also used for human arthritis). She is back to jumping up on furniture that she had stopped before taking the Glyco.

Feeby has arthritis in one elbow, but her big deal is two nearly fused vertebrae in her upper back. The vet wasn't sure whether Glyco would help since the vertebrae do not have the same type of bone/muscle infrastructure as do joints. So, whether her elbow was making her limp, or the vertebrae, I don't know. But, with Glyco the limp is nearly non-existent.

I would prefer something like Glyco (oral pill that can be cut into smaller parts) over shots of any kind.
I may give it another try. Which strength do you use? Sadie immediately threw it up last time I gave it to her.