did I make a big mistake??

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

Cats that are indoors (as I'm sure you know) are bot without issues. Spraying, furniture scratching, spraying and litterbox problems are only a few of common indoor cat issues. You just have to weigh the goods and bads, I personally think that outdoors is better for us people and the cats that "own us."

Studies have proven that owners of strictly indoor kitties tended to reject the idea of cats being independent and deciding for themselves the nature of their lifestyle. I've been around these forums and read enough Cat fancy magazines to know that this is indeed true....... Cats really don't need, or want for us, to confine them to our home and force them to conform to our lifestyle. My cats are proudly independent and I wouldn't have it any other way!
Some really lucky cats!
What the heck?!?! Can you show me any of these so-called studies? All of cats as an adult have been indoor cats, and they have NEVER sprayed or had litter box problems. Yes they scratch, but they know to scratch on the scratching post. Cat are smart and can be trained to scratch in appropriate areas. Of the four cats I had when I was younger who were outdoor cats, one was hit by a car and killed, one was hit by a car and had his jaw split in two which had to be wired back together, and one was killed by a snake bite. The last cat didn't really like going outside and never went far from home. I know which cats have had a better, more full life.

I do not feel like my carts are conforming to my lifestyle be being forced inside. One of them is too scared to go outside, one has eye problems, and would not survive outside, and one goes outside when I'm home to supervise, and she doesn't stay outside for long. She prefers to go to my neighbours places (I'm in a townhouse complex), and hang out in their house, or sit on my back deck in the sun.

I can honestly say I think you are speaking with very limited experience. A indoor cat is general much safer and healthier than an outdoors cat. Not only that, but they cause much less stress on the local wildlife if they're indoors.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lostmary - if there's a low cost vet around you I would try to get the kitty there. Or at least get him in to be neutered and get some bloodwork to check for kitty diseases. He may still have been in a car accident, it's sometimes hard to tell. If he has been fighting, then it's possible he's contracted a transmittable disease.

Good luck!

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

wether it is safe to let your cat out or not will depend on your neighbourhood, not so much the cat.

Our cats are now 15 and have been indoor/ outdoor cats since they were 6 months old. Our Maine coon died last year aged 17 due to cancer- he too was an indoor/ outdoor cat for 16 1/2 years. The neighbour's indoor/outdoor cat are all 14+ or have died of age related diseases and of course everyone keeps their eyes open for each other's cats.

BUT, we are very fortunate to live in an area where this is possible! If your neighbourhood isn't safe then letting a cat out simply isn't an option.

Also, it is a very personal choice wether you want to let your cat out or not- and this should be respected.

Otherwise I agree with StefanZ- a feral brought indoors will most of the time be so happy to be indoors with enough food and shelter that it'll be OK with not going out anymore.

Confine an indoor/ outdoor cat to being an indoor cat only and very often the problems will beginn- peeing and ripping up the doorframe to get OUT, screeming.

How exactly a cat will react is hard to predict- but you can always give it a try and find out what the cat thinks about being restricted to indoors..

Christine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Well, here's the update. OC is doing fine. He is still running around, but he doesn't stay gone long anymore. His best friend is Yellow Cat. YC was one of his arch enemies a while ago, but now they are BFF
. So, YC will be the next one to be trapped and neutered. The kittens are doing great. My daughter has taken the long haired one named Mokey. She has had her kitten shots and will be spayed April 16th. Smoke is going to stay with me. I've tried to introduce her to the dogs, but she HATES them. Of course, they don't really love her. Last night I had her in the bedroom to meet one of the girls. It was really funny. MY dog went nose to nose with Smoke. Smoke growled, my dog didn't get it, Smoke hissed, spit and slapped in about 1/2 a second. My poor dog looked at her as if to say "what". I finally had to move Smoke away. she wasn't happy at all. It ok tho. She is hopefully going to get spayed Tue. I went in to play with her this afternoon and low and behold, she assumed the possition, tail up, to the side, and started treading. I starting closing doors and windows so fast she didn't know what happened. I am NOT going to have that happen on my watch. Not with all the males that think this is the neatest place to live. come to think of it, why is it only the males move in. I've not seen any females here at all, except for the ferals that I adopted from the TNR groups and the one that I took in known as Gray Cat?
Mary

PS. I've been talked into socializing feral kittens from this same TNR group. IS the word Sucker written on my forehead. Not only that, but now I'm volunteering at the local spca. I need my head examined

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

He came home.
. He looks like he's been through the wringer,but he is here. I've cleaned him up the best I can, and nothing lookes infected. He hurts when I pick him up, but I think it's more cuts hurt then anything else. All his bones looks fine and I think he'll be fine. Looking at his wounds again, I'd say he was on top, as he has a lot of scratches between his back legs. I sat with him in the sun and he was rubbing on me and then rolled on his back so I could gently rub his belly, then he stood up and sprayed me.
. So I guess he's ok.
It's amazing how these cats can steal your heart. I wish I could bring him and Gray Cat in the house, but my 4 Doxis would like to have them for lunch. OC does come in the back yard when I'm out with the dogs, and just stands next to me. Of course, he is bigger then then they are. I think he would get along, or at least be tolerated by 3 of them but I've got one that will never accept him.

Mary
So YOU belong to HIM!!! Not the other way around. He marked you as his territory!
He doesn't sound feral to me. No truly feral cat would walk along with you as you described, sit with you, and give you his belly to rub. Is he fixed yet? If not I hope that happens soon. That will help with his spraying eventually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The funny thing is, he is totally feral. He has been around for a couple of years. It's only in the last year that he would even stay around if I was within a football field length of him, and it wasn't until he was really hurt that he let me get close enough to touch him. It's been a long process with him. I now have another feral cat, yellow cat, that I can get to about 20 feet of without him running far away when I speak to him. I'm willing to bet in another 6 months I'll be petting him also.

Mary
ps..I had him neutered about a month or more ago. much better...he doesn't smell as bad

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

The funny thing is, he is totally feral. He has been around for a couple of years. It's only in the last year that he would even stay around if I was within a football field length of him, and it wasn't until he was really hurt that he let me get close enough to touch him. It's been a long process with him. I now have another feral cat, yellow cat, that I can get to about 20 feet of without him running far away when I speak to him. I'm willing to bet in another 6 months I'll be petting him also.

Mary
ps..I had him neutered about a month or more ago. much better...he doesn't smell as bad
He trusts you now. And he knows that you are/have been helping him. He understands in his kitty way and is letting you know. That is soooo sweet.