Did I Do The Right Thing? :/

Veggiemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Short background-

Had 4 stray cats in my yard for months.
3 were younger (probably under a year) and after feeding and giving them shelter outside they became very social with my husband and I (able to pet and hold them).

After a while I began seriously contemplating having them all fixed at a low cost clinic. I began to feel some real anxiety over the thought of one of them getting pregnant (2 were female). However the clinic has such a high call volume and they'e constantly busy. I left a message with them and they did not contact me until a month later.

By the time the clinic called me back i had already called animal control to come get the cats. I felt it was the best option at the time because there would be no risk of more kittens and a potential for adoption. I felt sick about it but the officer that handled them told me the entire process, that since they'e personable cats they will be transferred to a no kill shelter here and will hopefully be adopted. I've even followed their page on Facebook and the cats are indeed at the shelter awaiting adoption.

I feel like this was the right thing to do (I also called several local vets in the area and they were all way too expensive for me to have all 4 cats fixed and released back into the outdoors)

But another part me of me worries so much about those cats. They are all so incredibly sweet and I hate the idea of them being in cages all day in a shelter. A video of them on the facilities Facebook page seemed Okay, one of them was playing with a toy and the other two curiously approached the camera and rolled around on their backs.

Do cats acclimate to totally different environments well? Or do they simply become chronically depressed in shelters? I'm somewhat new to all of this so I really question my decision but Im also glad I don't have to worry about new kittens ourdoors.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you did above and beyond what a lot of people would do! I worked in an animal shelter for over a year , and yes, even the scaredey ones do adjust. Most kennel workers love on them, brush and play with them. When I was a kennel worker, we wrote cute things about their personalities on their identification cards attached to their cages and really pushed them on customers when they came in. Also, they were allowed out of their cages 1-2 times a day to play with the other cats, walk around etc.

Think of it this way, they'll get socialized with humans and other cats before they get there foreverhomes...thanks to your caring heart!

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would have done that too! I don’t blame you for worrying though - I’d feel the same way. I think you did the right thing though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

I'll admit, I was at first a bit concerned when I read you called animal control, but once I got to the part of the no kill shelter, and that you can see the cats on the shelter's Facebook page, it became clear you absolutely did the right thing.

Now those young cats will be spayed/neutered, socialized and eventually be adopted. :catlove:

Thank you for caring about them. :heartshape:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that no matter what it costs to have them spayed it is worth it. Kittens by the truckload are much more expensive in the long run. I pay 165.00 a piece (including vaccinations)to have mine done and have done so many I have lost count. They are much easier to adopt out to. If you can't afford it, you just can't .
You have done your little ones a service by giving them a chance to get a forever home. Taming them was the best thing you could have done. They are of course going to be upset by all the change, but think of it as socializing them more. The chance of a home is worth it, thank you.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Animal Control is a completely different in a lot of places. They are most likely a death sentence where I live. You are lucky to have a no kill shelter where these babies have a chance for a good life. Hopefully they will get adopted soon. All you can do is hope and pray.