Did I create a monster kitten?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My kitten didn't care about hissing or face blowing, lol. He was a real beast! Really the only thing that worked for him was yelping to startle him and then making annoying whining/moaning sounds and then hiding under the covers dead still. But if he really hurt me or I couldn't get under the covers cause he was attacking too fast, I would get up and shut myself in the bathroom for a few minutes. I tried not to let it get to that point, cause he would get so upset and give the most awful, sorrowful cries and rattle the doorknob. It broke my heart.
But it only took a few minutes and I could come out and he would be calm enough to leave me alone for awhile.

He loved playing so much, all he needed to learn was that biting too hard meant playtime was over!
That is a whole new slant on the 'time out' theme! 

If it works, and it stops either party getting hurt or more scared then why not?  

Come to think of it I did kind of use that strategy once with my tabby when she first developed her vet phobia. I tried to pick her up to put her in her carrier - she flew round the room climbing up on the walls, hissing and growling as she went.  I pushed the door too, hid at the far end of the apartment with her sister, and tried to calm my nerves until I got myself together enough to phone the vet....  It took us a lot longer than 3 minutes to calm down!

It's as well we're in to kitties and not dogs, something tells me that a dog would take the 'human hide' technique as a sign that dogs ruled our world! Thankfully cats don't really do dominance in the same way and it sounds like your little furball got the same message no matter what side of the door he was on.  He might be a beast, but he sounds like a cute beast that likes company. 
 I hope he doesn't think he's being punished every time you go in the bathroom now!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

smallbigtown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The human gets the time out and the kitty pays the price. 

Actually, I am a dog person!  I haven't had a cat or a kitten in a long time.  It's weird to make a communication transition.