Did anyone else have a lousy Valentine's?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How true! Sometimes though, it's very much like training a dog to sit and stay - I don't like that analogy at all, but it's the closest I could get - so if I offend, I don't mean to
As for a good life happening... well it's about time. You've no idea some of the rubbish I've been through in the last 7 years or so - and I'm only 22 now. I've worked really hard to get what I've got, however little that might be, but it's mine. I've had help from state benefits - which I've loathed because I'm a very independant character - but you know what? The only way is up. I've got a roof, I've got food, I've got an adorable little boy and the most important thing, I've got a good man who loves me for who I am. He's been the recent addition to the list and since then things have gotten better and better. Fingers crossed it stays that way. I'd hate to lose Rune now after all that we've been through together - so I'm pretty certain I can let one slip-up go!
But thanks for the good wishes, very much appreciated!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - married 27+ years! No card, nada. P'd off? Yes.

I called my friend to see how she was doing (her husband died 1-1/2 yrs. ago and it would have been their anniversary). She wasn't doing so well. I asked if she needed me to go over - she said yes and could I stay all night. I didn't hesitate to say yes. My husband asked if there was anything in particular I wanted to see on TV! I said, "I won't be home, I'll be at Debbie's. It's not like you need me around here". He called me at work the next morning to apologize. I know he loves me and that he's not big into all the cards and stuff, but he should also know after all these years that even a card would have been better than nothing.

So yes, some of us did have as lousy a V-day as you did. I can't wait to see what happens next year! LOL

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This was our first valentine's day as husband and wife. I prepared a special dinner, set out the good china, wine, candles and his favourite music on the CD. We had exchanged cards at breakfast.

He often works late and that night was one of them - he got home an hour later than his usual late time, tired, in an unhappy mood and stressed. He has been stressing about the situation with the cats fighting as well and hasn't been able to understand what and why it happens.

He started to complain right away about his day and about the other problems that have cropped up. The dinner went cold, the wine untouched. We talked for about 2 hours, sometimes with me in tears, but we both listened and we both talked. Afterwards, we ate the cold dinner in front of the TV instead of at the table.

Was I disappointed and upset? Actually, no. We have been needing to talk about some of these things for a while and because the relationship is more important to me than the peripherals, this talk was a valuable opportunity for us both. I was happy - even though it was stressful - that we were able to address some of the issues.

I have cried over lost valentine's days in the past with previous partners who did not meet my expectations. I have also found over the years that expressing our love and commitment to our 'valentines' is a year around affair. Showing our love and appreciation for our partners comes in many guises. My husband may not make a big event out of the 'standard' holidays, but every day in many little ways, he shows me his love and appreciation. I am very fortunate to have found a man who 'knows' me, accepts me for who I am and allows me to be me. If that sometimes means my plans go awry and expectations are unmet, so be it. If what I want and need is important to me, I know that I can ask him and he will do what he can to meet those needs to the best of his ability. Is he perfect? Nope, but neither am I.

Kathryn

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Emma for your not so great v day. Next year, or the the next time you see him should be better
One can hope.

Hubby got me a scooby singing thingy. He sings Why do fools fall in love. He gave it to me last month. LOL Then like the day before he got me a rose in a heart shaped balloon. It was beautiful. I thought about taking pictures every day, but then it started drooping.
It kinda hurt my feelings to watch it die. Usually I will hang them, so they don't look so sad. I don't think that I want another rose in a balloon. I didn't get to smell it either. But it was SOOO beautiful when he gave it to me. On Vday he went out and got us chinese for lunch. He said he was going to stop and buy me more, but he didn't. lol, He'd already spent all the cash he had. It's okay though. I didn't get him anything. We hung out, and made silly faces at each other from our computers. We were actually goofy that day.
I was disappointed though. I'd wanted to get some time (and a ride to the store w/out him) and get him something. Since a girl quit at work, I covered her shift, and lost my time off. He still loves me though.

I hope everyone's valentine's days are better next year.