Diarrhea :(

missmandi7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiance and I adopted a kitten from the humane society about a month ago and unfortunately it was on purina kitty chow(gross). I kept him on it until he got used to his new place, and was going to use the rest of the bag before I switched him over to Wellness kitten food, well I couldn't stand the smell of his poo, it was terrible, so I decided to just switch him to Wellness now(a little over a week ago), so I started slowly adding it in for about a week and noticed he was getting a bit of diarrhea, I know it's common sometimes if you go a little too quick, but I did it over the course of a week which is usually recommended. So I've been giving him something I got at the pet store to help with the discomfort of it, and it said you would see results in two to three days. I decided that if I don't I will seek the help of a vet on monday, but does anyone know of any other things I can do? Any suggestions? It's not terrible liquid diarrhea, but not it's not completely solid, also he has been dewormed, if that has anything to do with it. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Mandi.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, he needs to go to the vet to rule out any medical causes or parasites. There's tons of reasons why he could have diarrhea other than food. Get that checked out first. If he gets the all-clear medically from the vet, then you might have to try a different food. His little tummy may not be able to handle the richness of Wellness.

Stephanie

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be just normal food transition loose stool. The best way to do a transition is in the course of 2 weeks - 1 week is too fast, especially going to a rich food like Wellness.
I would just wait out until you go to the vet. Bene-bac can help quite a bit, but he should be better in a week or so. Watch him to make sure he drinks water well, and if he gets worse, take him to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmandi7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice
I actually just made an appointment with the vet, he needs to do a stool test anyways since we haven't done one yet. I'll let you know how it goes.
Mandi.