Diarrhea won't subside for Opie, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Ope update:

He did eat some breakfast. Not as much as I'd like him to, but he did eat. Needed a bit of encouragement from me a couple times and ate the last bits from a spoon. Since I hadn't seen any runny poops, I didn't doctor his food with probiotics or psyllium this morning in the hope he'd eat better. 

I'm off to barely cook some chicken enticements for the hold-outs and maybe I can persuade Ope to eat a bite or two. :cross:
That's great news!!! IMHO.... I would not stop the probiotics...... That is something he should be on for life IMHO..... removing the fiber is ok.... I would not remove the probiotic when he is on raw, however..... :nod::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Latest update:

Last evening he didn't seem very interested in food - so I put some chicken broth on it that came from the stuff I poached. That went over much better! So he had several small meals of raw with the broth yesterday and 2 so far today.  

I also found a formed dark hard stool in the litter pan this morning, I'm assuming it was one of his as it was very different from any I've seen to date, and it was in his usual spot. Later this afternoon, he pooped again and this time it was well formed, more yellowish (more like pics of cats on raw) but it seemed very dry. These are the first appropriate poops he 's had since he's been with us! I feel better about things, and will keep up the small feedings with the broth added in. 

So of course we get him showing some progress and now my former feral and rather difficult boy is deciding he doesn't want to eat. He had been doing very well with the raw. *sigh*  We managed to put some dollops of nutrical on his paws. 

Just when I think we're all moving in the same direction, I get another breaking the ranks! 

Kinda like that old EDS commercial about herding cats. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that's what I'm finding. As soon as everything seems to settle down, someone new has an issue. :rolleyes:

But :woohoo: for formed poops! :banana1: :banana2: :banana1: That is just GREAT! I don't know how hard they are - the poops here are dry and crumbly, but not hard. Lighter when on chicken than on lamb. :nod:

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The formed poops were short-lived. After the one I witnessed, about 2 hours later, there were 2 more smaller ones, softer but still formed. Then about 2 hours later we're back to the very loose pudding. He's been in the box several times. So we're back to square one. I'm feeding again in about 45 minutes and he's getting more psyllium and of course he'll get that with tomorrow's meals, too. I know he's not feeling well, because he's napping in a carrier downstairs. Monday can't some soon enough. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The formed poops were short-lived. After the one I witnessed, about 2 hours later, there were 2 more smaller ones, softer but still formed. Then about 2 hours later we're back to the very loose pudding. He's been in the box several times. So we're back to square one. I'm feeding again in about 45 minutes and he's getting more psyllium and of course he'll get that with tomorrow's meals, too. I know he's not feeling well, because he's napping in a carrier downstairs. Monday can't some soon enough. :sniffle:
awww :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: when did you remove him from both fiber and probiotic? did you ever put him back on the probiotic?

Last edited:

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carolina, I only skipped both yesterday. I thought the tastes might be interfering with getting him to eat. This morning he got probiotic only - I hadn't seen poops from him for 2 days and he was fed breakfast before I did litter boxes and saw the dark formed stool that I presumed was his. For late lunch today he got neither, and tonight psyllium. Tomorrow morn, he'll get both. I found out yesterday afternoon he will eat if his raw gets about 2 tablespoons of chix broth. So he's eating about 3/4 ounce or so a feeding, 3-4 times a day. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina, I only skipped both yesterday. I thought the tastes might be interfering with getting him to eat. This morning he got probiotic only - I hadn't seen poops from him for 2 days and he was fed breakfast before I did litter boxes and saw the dark formed stool that I presumed was his. For late lunch today he got neither, and tonight psyllium. Tomorrow morn, he'll get both. I found out yesterday afternoon he will eat if his raw gets about 2 tablespoons of chix broth. So he's eating about 3/4 ounce or so a feeding, 3-4 times a day. 
Yeah..... that's the thing with these guys..... when you find that something is working, you keep going, don't stop..... Probiotics - keep on for life... I can't say this enough.... and if psyllium works, keep him on it too.... don't stop when you see formed poop - you want to keep him playing the winning game :nod: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carolina,

Ah! So, with the psyllium I don't have to worry about him getting constipated? I just stick with a workable dose and monitor the "outcome"? I was thinking, wrongly- I guess, that he'd get constipated if I kept it up. 

Last night he got his dose of psyllium, and this morning psyllium and probiotics. He came up to eat, which was encouraging. After a cursory look, I didn't see any loose poops in the downstairs pans, but I haven't scooped them yet. 

He'll be getting probably 4 meals today and another dose of psyllium and probiotics this evening. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina,

Ah! So, with the psyllium I don't have to worry about him getting constipated? I just stick with a workable dose and monitor the "outcome"? I was thinking, wrongly- I guess, that he'd get constipated if I kept it up. 

Last night he got his dose of psyllium, and this morning psyllium and probiotics. He came up to eat, which was encouraging. After a cursory look, I didn't see any loose poops in the downstairs pans, but I haven't scooped them yet. 

He'll be getting probably 4 meals today and another dose of psyllium and probiotics this evening. 
You should never give more than 500mg a day of psyllium.... if that work for him, he should not get constipated. Psyllium is one fiber that works very well for IBD kitties.... The probiotcs is essential...
Usually with these kitties that's how it works - once you find what works, you keep going with that plan - you don't change it - you don't stop :nod:

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gotcha! He's not getting more than 500 mg a day. In fact, it's probably a tad less because the caps I found were 650 mg, and using one cap to dose twice, we always leave a pinch out. The 500 mg psyllium should be here this week. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Psyllium actually regulates water in the bowl, so it actually helps with diarrhea OR constipation, it won't cause either.
Taking psyllium without adequate water can actually cause constipation:

http://www.medicalinsider.com/mucoid.html#psyllium
  • Psyllium husks are mixed with water in order to be in a form that they can be consumed in. As psyllium husks absorb a large amount of water, it is imperative that sufficient water is drunk when coming psyllium husk powder. If insufficient water is consumed, the psyllium will tend to form a thick paste or even hard clumps (almost like cement), cause constipation and draw water out of the blood stream. If a person is already constipated, taking psyllium without sufficient water would clearly worsen the condition.

Last edited:

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been making sure he gets extra liquid with his food and he is drinking. I don't believe he's constipated, but we are holding the diarrhea at bay. He has a 10 am vet appointment tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help and concern. I'll post an update tomorrow after we get back from the vet.

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Opie will be staying at the vet at least overnight, and maybe until Wednesday.

He got a blood test and xrays. 

I don't have his blood results in front of me, but he's anemic, and has an elevated WBC, along with bilirubin problems and something else that points to possible pancreatic problems. 

She also checked his mouth thoroughly and we could see the red irritated areas in the back where the jaws hinge and along several back teeth. She felt these could be  sore and not helping with the lack of appetite. 

Xrays revealed fluid in the abdominal cavity along with being dehydrated.

He is getting heavy antibiotics, IV fluids, and a sample of the abdominal fluid will be sent out for testing.

The new vet is so much better! We were very impressed with her. We had to make a second trip back to take his raw food. 

Thanks for the help, everyone. Please keep your fingers crossed for Opie! 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Thank Goodness you took him to the vet..... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for that fluid to be nothing :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Hang in the momma :hugs:

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy!  I'm glad he's getting some good vet care, and I hope he'll be feeling better soon!

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Ladies.

We've got our fingers crossed that it's not FIP. That is what she is sending out the fluid for. I understand how the testing may produce inaccurate results, but it's a place to start. 

He was a good boy for the fluid draw and is resting comfortably. I will check on him about 9am tomorrow. 

mslemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know, LDG. I am heartsick just thinking about this. 

He's supposedly 2.5 years old. We've only had him a month, and he hasn't had a 100% day since he's been here. He's the sweetest, most gentle boy. I had to let my longtime best boy kitty, Elmer,  go last September, and I really missed having a sweet boy. Opie fits the tall order so well. I haven't even taken any pictures of him yet! 

Status
Not open for further replies.