Diarrhea with white slimy things and blood

Ezpz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

My cat has recently been having diarrhea for a while now (~month). I took him to the vet and his stool sample was all negative and I was told to feed him fortiflora. I have tried for a while now but his stool isn't getting any firmer and recently there has been this weird white thing in his poo. I also had his stool sample tested again two days ago and it was negative. His behavior is the same as always and there has been any changes to his diet or environment. Some advice please!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
CaII the vet back, and teII him about the stooIs. Ask if you can send photos via emaiI so that he can see what you are taIking about. I'm not entireIy sure what I am seeing, it couId be mucus, but I wouId certainIy not want to bet your cat's heaIth on that!

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
If there is blood in the stool and not something else (like your cat eating something red or the food could cause stool discoloration), and to me that does kinda look like blood- it would be emergency vet time!

What was the stool sample tested for?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FortiFlora isn't a very good probiotic. If anything, all it does is make food super yummy and some cats get addicted to it and will not eat unless FortiFlora is sprinkled on top. Read this for more info on using probiotics for cats: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis Human probiotics can be used instead of pet ones. A S. boulardii product is said to be helpful with diarrhea.

Call the vet and discussing the ongoing diarrhea issue and what else can be tried. If the vet gives you no answers, seek out a second opinion from another vet.

How old is your cat? What do you feed your cat? Sometimes food doesn't agree with a cat's tummy for some reason: food sensitivity, gastrointestinal disease, etc. A cat can eat the same brand of food for years before a food issue starts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ezpz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If there is blood in the stool and not something else (like your cat eating something red or the food could cause stool discoloration), and to me that does kinda look like blood- it would be emergency vet time!

What was the stool sample tested for?
The stool sample was tested for parasites, which came back negative. I called my vet about the blood just this morning and i was told it might be from him straining or something and to watch his stool for a few more days (but this has been an ongoing problem.....)

FortiFlora isn't a very good probiotic. If anything, all it does is make food super yummy and some cats get addicted to it and will not eat unless FortiFlora is sprinkled on top. Read this for more info on using probiotics for cats: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis Human probiotics can be used instead of pet ones. A S. boulardii product is said to be helpful with diarrhea.

Call the vet and discussing the ongoing diarrhea issue and what else can be tried. If the vet gives you no answers, seek out a second opinion from another vet.

How old is your cat? What do you feed your cat? Sometimes food doesn't agree with a cat's tummy for some reason: food sensitivity, gastrointestinal disease, etc. A cat can eat the same brand of food for years before a food issue starts.
Thank you about the Fortiflora information. I will look into it more!

My cat is 1 yr and 7 months. I feed him a mix of wet and dry food. The dry food is Dr. Elsey's chicken and the wet food is usually either from Tiki Cats or Nutro.
I have been using this vet because their hours let me take him in after work but I am going to have to find a second vet for another opinion.

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
The stool sample was tested for parasites, which came back negative. I called my vet about the blood just this morning and i was told it might be from him straining or something and to watch his stool for a few more days (but this has been an ongoing problem.....)
Right well. Considering highly likely that it's blood in the stool. He will need a blood panel and a biochemistry panel, and possibly different stool test to determine the cause of bleeding. He might also need an ultrasound.

I would honestly look for a different vet asap. Don't wait, just go to a different one until you find the cause.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ezpz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for replying! I am going to have to find a new vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh good! You need a vet who is responsive, and has more to say than, "Wait and see." Keep us posted!