diarrhea over a week

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunacy95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jack did improve, but as soon as I stopped giving him any hicken and pumpkin and went back to his regular food the diarrhea returned. I am currently feeding him boiled chicken and rice and small amounts of his regular food... going to try to switch back more slowly than last time and see how it goes.

Not quite out of the woods... but were getting there!

If the diarrhea returns this time when he has only his normal food, then I believe I am going to try canned food next.

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I join the party? Mine gets into chicken bones few weeks ago. Does not go bathroom for nearly week. Vet gives very rich wet food and laxaire, he finally passes bones and all stool 3 days later. Now its diarrhea all time. So low residue diet and pro pectalin gel for week, so Thursday, Friday, Saturday he has normal BM everyday finally while slowing doing natural balance again with low residue diet to switch back naturally. He gets diarrhea sunday night again! GRR, I cant believe these few bones messed him up so bad. So I guess its back on the gel 3 cc a day and likely the low residue diet for another week hoping something changes next time. I'm starting to wonder if he is going be permanently like this. All I know he needs another full week of no diarrhea to heal his back end, its red and puffy though the vet says its not prolapsed yet. I hope two weeks of this gel does not mess or make him depend on it what can I do its so frustrating.

automaton2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my kitten had a terrible bout of vomiting and diarrhea
after the flagyl and pepcid for 5 days the vet had him on hills i/d
hes now almost totally on natures balance duck and pea can
and before grain chicken dry

I reccomend the duck and pea especially

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunacy95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am still in the process of reintroducing the CN chicken and brown rice dry that Jack ate before all of this. So far things seems to be going pretty well. I have strongly considered wet food instead, but if the CN is fine I don't think Jack or I for that matter, are prepared for that so soon.

Glad you found something that works automaton2

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunacy95

I am still in the process of reintroducing the CN chicken and brown rice dry that Jack ate before all of this. So far things seems to be going pretty well. I have strongly considered wet food instead, but if the CN is fine I don't think Jack or I for that matter, are prepared for that so soon.

Glad you found something that works automaton2
I use the CN chicken/brown rice too, but only as a treat. I've read too much about dry food to feel comfortable about feeding it for all or a large percentage of the diet.

I think you're on the right track to consider canned food - I know the dry is easier, but in the long run, canned food is much better for cats in general, and possibly for Jack in particular. Now might actually be a good time to introduce him to it since he took to the fresh chicken so well. You can gradually introduce a good quality canned food by mixing in a bit of it with the chicken, and slowly increasing the amount. It might be far easier than you think to make the switch.

Anyway, thanks for keeping us updated. I'm very glad that Jack is doing better- that's great news!